Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 137 51.89%
Houston 43 16.29%
Dallas 28 10.61%
Atlanta 56 21.21%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 03:15 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I think part of the problem is that Atlanta is totally overlooked for diversity...many people view Atlanta as only black and white, but it's actually much more diverse than that.

I don't know about a lot of specific populations of different nationalities, but Houston has larger Nigerian and Vietnamese populations than Atlanta - but not by much. Atlanta is nationally ranked 5th for Nigerian and 7th for Vietnamese populations. Houston is ranked higher for both.
Yes and that is only the amounts,not percentage wise.Percentage wise Atlanta is greater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
There are Hindu temples all over Texas. Even out in the country. What's your point?

Oh, okay. So the more Koreans you have, the more diverse you are. That I did not know.

Are you saying that the Atlanta MSA has more Nigerians and Vietnamese than the Houston MSA?

Percentage wise their are more Koreans in Atlanta than any other city in the South.More communities in Atlanta than any other city.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
[/quote]

Oh come now lets not be trite.You know exactly what i'm saying.Do me a favor;I won't insult your inteligence as long as you afford me with the same courtesy.Good?

That is ONE of the Hindu Temples that are all over Atlanta.But this one is the largest in the U.S.That is an indicator that their is a sizable amount of that segment in Atlanta.
Nigerians and Vietnamese. Percentage wise YES,Atlanta does have more,overall population; NO it does not.Which is my point about stats.Either way is accurate,but don't try to pass it off as the only accurate statement.As I have provided factual data from the Census,it clearly list them all.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 04:13 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 03:25 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,900 times
Quote:
So it is a fact that Atlanta is the best city in the south for gays? Really? Where can I find that source?
The only fact that is related to this is that Atlanta has the largest gay population by percentage in the South and 3rd in the country. The rest is pretty subjective.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:39 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Once again if you knew me you would know that I would never make a statement like the "best of anything" as other than an OPINION.Just like your opinions are the same.I don't even give much credit to magazines like some of Forbe's list; like "best city for singles"or "Best Nightlife".People are different with different needs.I could say Atlanta is the best places for gays,but what if you were gay and hated the South?So it would be silly to do so.What I can do is offer facts,and facts tell me that by the numbers,Atlanta would be best.
Well thank you for clearing that up, but you and I both know that on paper is different than reality and personal experience.

But look man, you know I have nothing against Atlanta. In fact, I love the city. But I just think that credit should be given due to Houston in the areas it beats Atlanta.

No one EVER wants to give credit to Houston for anything (except for the things they don't want like being the oil capital and having plenty of parking)

Old 09-27-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The bigger the population; the lower the median income will be. You leave out the fact that the closer you are to the core of the city; the higher the cost of living will be which attracts more higher income people. Houston stretches out far beyond than normal, and encompasses lots of low-income areas. .
I did not leave out any fact because its really irrelevant.I looked at both the MSA and the City of each.And ALL the categories I mention,Atlanta was still ahead.

Poverty levels:
Atlanta:11.5%
Dallas:12.9%
Houston:15.2%
Miami:13.4%

Old 09-27-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Well thank you for clearing that up, but you and I both know that on paper is different than reality and personal experience.

But look man, you know I have nothing against Atlanta. In fact, I love the city. But I just think that credit should be given due to Houston in the areas it beats Atlanta.

No one EVER wants to give credit to Houston for anything (except for the things they don't want like being the oil capital and having plenty of parking)
Well that is your perception,and you are entitled to it.But I deal with facts and perception.Facts weigh more.Facts are what drives people to make decisions.Of course there are other things as well.Im not trying to take away from Houston anything it deserves,but just because people repeat things over and over only makes it true for who wants it to be true,not the reality.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well that is your perception,and you are entitled to it.But I deal with facts and perception.Facts weigh more.Facts are what drives people to make decisions.Of course there are other things as well.Im not trying to take away from Houston anything it deserves,but just because people repeat things over and over only makes it true for who wants it to be true,not the reality.
AHH (sounding like Braxton), but see here's the thing. Nothing you stated disproves anything I was saying.

Houston is still more diverse, it still has a larger Nigerian population, and it still has a larger Vietnamese population.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:20 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
AHH (sounding like Braxton), but see here's the thing. Nothing you stated disproves anything I was saying.

Houston is still more diverse, it still has a larger Nigerian population, and it still has a larger Vietnamese population.
Actually diversity would depend more on the percentage of total population, not simply on raw numbers. I believe Houston probably is a little more diverse than Atlanta - but not by a lot.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Actually diversity would depend more on the percentage of total population, not simply on raw numbers. I believe Houston probably is a little more diverse than Atlanta - but not by a lot.
What I do know is that Houston has more nationalities, which means more to choose from. It's also one of the most (if not the most) integrated cities in the entire nation. That's diversity.

Again I should point out that Houston has the third largest # of foreign consulates in the US. Only New York and Los Angeles have more.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:45 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
What I do know is that Houston has more nationalities, which means more to choose from. It's also one of the most (if not the most) integrated cities in the entire nation. That's diversity.

Again I should point out that Houston has the third largest # of foreign consulates in the US. Only New York and Los Angeles have more.
I'm not disagreeing with you...but Houston is not significantly more diverse than Atlanta IMO. Diversity is many things - integration doesn't have to be present for an overall diverse environment.

Atlanta has a large number of foreign consulates as well...last time I checked Houston had only a handful more than Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City