Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 10:26 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyfygiu View Post
downtown LA and its not close. Miami too. New Orleans. Austin. Nashville. Houston's not even top 10 lmao
When it comes to nightlife, downtown LA doesn’t sniff Miami or NOLA.

Why are we reviving an old thread when there’s basically an identical one trending right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 04:59 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
When it comes to nightlife, downtown LA doesn’t sniff Miami or NOLA.

Why are we reviving an old thread when there’s basically an identical one trending right now?
He’s not saying LA eclipses Nola or Miami though. He’s saying all three are better than Houston. Sorry man

Old 02-13-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
He’s not saying LA eclipses Nola or Miami though. He’s saying all three are better than Houston. Sorry man
He did say that. and sorry for what

Old 02-14-2022, 07:39 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
He did say that. and sorry for what
The post I was referring to said that LA, Miami, NOLA eclipsed Houston. I know you're just trying to defend your city and state, but I believe those 3 are easily ahead of Houston as far as nightlife.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
The post I was referring to said that LA, Miami, NOLA eclipsed Houston. I know you're just trying to defend your city and state, but I believe those 3 are easily ahead of Houston as far as nightlife.
Something's wrong with you lol. Literally no one ever thinks Houston's nightlife is better LA's (you're the only one who even brought this up). And you're the only one being defensive here. The post said LA's downtown eclipses NOLA's and Miami's and I said it's not. I know youre an LA guy and this probably hurts your feelings, but that was my response to that post and for a good reason. Scrolling up, its not an unpopular opinion by any means.

I know you're trying to defend your city and your state, but those 2 are clearly ahead of LA (especially when you single out downtown.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
This is copied and pasted from another thread. My experience with DTLA.

I lived there during the week every other week from 2016-2019. Stayed at the Hotel Figueroa, the Bonaventure or the Standard depending on the week. DTLA is nothing special. Got some good restaurants and places to drink. Yeah, there is definitely more foot traffic than a place like Downtown Houston or Atlanta, but it really doesnt offer that much more. The same activities I did in DTLA are the same ones a do in Downtown Houston, its just on a bigger scale.

Growing up out there, Downtown sucked. It wasnt a place we liked to spend any time unless we had to. It got much better after 2000 and continued to get better until pre-Covid. But the homeless problem got completely out of control around 2017. Used to be the homeless stayed east of Pershing Square and didnt really come that far west. By my last few weeks there, the homeless were well onto the Figueroa and Wilshire area. We had people taking dumps right in front of our office building door and no one did anything about it. I saw a man eat his own vomit, a topless woman screaming into traffic, and a dude jerk off in Pershing Square. In the name of tolerance, DTLA was going downhill big time even before Covid for that reason.

That said I do miss lunches at Lemonade, dinners at Bottega Louie, and nightcaps at Perch.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:48 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Something's wrong with you lol. Literally no one ever thinks Houston's nightlife is better LA's (you're the only one who even brought this up). And you're the only one being defensive here. The post said LA's downtown eclipses NOLA's and Miami's and I said it's not. I know youre an LA guy and this probably hurts your feelings, but that was my response to that post and for a good reason. Scrolling up, its not an unpopular opinion by any means.

I know you're trying to defend your city and your state, but those 2 are clearly ahead of LA (especially when you single out downtown.
You may have misread that reply. While he did say "DTLA and it's not even close", which might imply that DTLA is the top sunbelt downtown, I believe that he only meant that in a DTLA versus DTH comparison. Maybe he can clarify? Or really who cares? Unless GF believes that DTLA is above DT Miami and DTNO, then it's really just debating what that poster really meant while making sarcastic personal attacks.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:03 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
This is copied and pasted from another thread. My experience with DTLA.

I lived there during the week every other week from 2016-2019. Stayed at the Hotel Figueroa, the Bonaventure or the Standard depending on the week. DTLA is nothing special. Got some good restaurants and places to drink. Yeah, there is definitely more foot traffic than a place like Downtown Houston or Atlanta, but it really doesnt offer that much more. The same activities I did in DTLA are the same ones a do in Downtown Houston, its just on a bigger scale.

Growing up out there, Downtown sucked. It wasnt a place we liked to spend any time unless we had to. It got much better after 2000 and continued to get better until pre-Covid. But the homeless problem got completely out of control around 2017. Used to be the homeless stayed east of Pershing Square and didnt really come that far west. By my last few weeks there, the homeless were well onto the Figueroa and Wilshire area. We had people taking dumps right in front of our office building door and no one did anything about it. I saw a man eat his own vomit, a topless woman screaming into traffic, and a dude jerk off in Pershing Square. In the name of tolerance, DTLA was going downhill big time even before Covid for that reason.

That said I do miss lunches at Lemonade, dinners at Bottega Louie, and nightcaps at Perch.
I have lived in DTLA for seven years and visited often before that. My take is that DTLA peaked in terms of being clean and not having addicts living on streets somewhere around 2012. But it peaked in terms of activities, destinations, and vibrancy just before covid. It became an entertainment destination separate from events at LA Live.

And yeah, there are some similarities between the two, but downtown Houston really does have much less to offer than DTLA, which has become much more livable (grocery stores, drug stores, etc), has a thriving entertainment nightlife beyond LA Live that attracts people from the entire region, ethnic neighborhoods like Little Tokyo and Chinatown, Grand Central Market, the Fashion District, way more bars and restaurants, on and on.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:14 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
And yeah, there are some similarities between the two, but downtown Houston really does have much less to offer than DTLA, which has become much more livable (grocery stores, drug stores, etc), has a thriving entertainment nightlife beyond LA Live that attracts people from the entire region, ethnic neighborhoods like Little Tokyo and Chinatown, Grand Central Market, the Fashion District, way more bars and restaurants, on and on.
Yeah, I dont think youll get many that would argue that DTLA isnt superior to Downtown Houston, but I dont think the gap is that big.

You have an entertainment/nightlife area around Discovery Green as well as North Main. You have the Theater District and the symphony, Basketball and Baseball in the respective stadiums, a lot of grocery stores for residents, food halls, the aquarium, etc.

Again, not saying DTLA doesnt have this stuff but again I think the gap is marginal not huge. Of course if we were comparing the entire cities to one another, obviously there is way more to do in LA.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:18 AM

226 posts, read 132,806 times
How has covid effected DTLA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City