Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 07:24 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times

Advertisements

I think that campus police should be changed to "campus security", they are on the payroll of the college, and thus, are not really "police". Their "real" job is just to make sure the University is protected.

Same as the "police" in this situation. If they were called, all they did was make sure the University was protected.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
I totally agree! I don't even think Campus Police at any college are even armed. They aren't at the local colleges near me that I can ever remember.
Every college campus I've been in contact with that has a genuine police department arms their campus police; they are genuine, deputized officers of the law with full police power -- they are not just "rent-a-cops." They have the power to detain you, arrest you, haul you off to jail, and deliver a right tune-up to your skull if you didn't care to co-operate, just the same as any other duly authorized police force. I presume the same holds true for a major flagship state university like PSU. Whatever the PSU police force shortcomings may be in this case -- and so far we don't know if there are any -- being a toothless "rent-a-cop" force isn't one of them.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:24 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,259,438 times
So apparently more victims have come forward, including one or two dating all the way back to the 1970's: Article Here

Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
I think the "campus police' designation depends on the college they serve--
there are some public school districts (K-12) in TX that have their own police force (authorized by the state apparently) who can carry weapons on campus (totally against the law otherwise) and give out tickets and arrest people...

I do think that there are probably many city police forces and campus police forces who lack the training and empathy to deal properly with reports of sexual abuse either toward children or other adults...
and with a campus police force I think there is always the tendency to shield the powers-that-be vs actually look at legal liability and obtain the truth of the situation...

while I am very sorry to hear that anyone making a charge of sexual abuse against a legitimate target was acused themselves, I think most of the time people w/o the right level of education go "shooting from the hip". They read that most children who are abused are abused by someone they know--and ergo they think the family is trying to cover their own behavior by crying "wolf" against someone else...

I don't know that going to CPS would have brought about a better result--sometimes those cases are mishandled as well

In my early posts about Sandusky's behavior I wrote that everything I have read/seen about how pedophiles work says that it begins very early in life for most pedophiles--usually as they become sexually active themselves...
maybe only with fairly non-toxic behavior like fondling but it continues to escalate under the "right conditions"--what they are depends on the individual in question...but many times it is based on conditioning that happened to them as children...because most pedophiles have been abused themselves...
some can go for fairly long periods between episodes if they lack the proper target for their fixations
some are less discriminating and have a wider field of prey...

For Sandusky to just "start" this behavior in the 90s like someone taking up golf when they retire is just too inconceiveble to be credible...
there is a long history of abuse--and again--I would wager anything that he has abused at least one of his own adopted sons...

Old 11-17-2011, 11:25 AM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
I agree with you. He has learned how to cull his victims.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:03 PM

922 posts, read 1,699,380 times
Quote:
@pennlive: Reader poll: If you were an employer, would you hesitate to hire a Penn State student? Vote here: bit.ly/ruSgMW
People shouldn't be surprised about the poll outcome.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:21 PM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
I thought Pelini's comments after the game were poised and very good. You think Pelini could have had anything to do with the game being played or not? Not a chance.

You actually think that UNL should have forfeited the game on their own and gave PSU the win? Really?!?
No, Nebraska was backed into the corner since PSU didn't forfeit.

I didn't word my post very well. Suffice to say that if this were the PSU lacrosse team and not big $$$ football they'd probably have canceled the season.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:32 PM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Ex-Olympic gymnastics coach banned for life - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Ex-Olympic-gymnastics-coach-banned-for-life-2272009.php - broken link)

how one sport disciplines the coaches who prey on their players...
not that banning Sandusky or Paterno if guilty of more serious offences after this investigation is done would do any good
but the NCAA really needs to look at what the officials at Penn State knew about Sandusky's behavior and how they choose to address it--
whether he preyed on HIS PSU players or not

the reason to cover up what he did on PSU property with young boys from off campus was because of Sandusky's role within the PSU football program--and how his "outing" as a pedophile would have affected that multi-million dollar business...
If the NCAA refuses to look--then it is just as guilty as anything PSU officials turned a blind eye toward...
The NCAA is a complete PROSTITUTE when it comes to the cash cow sports of football and basketball. (mens that is).

Old 11-17-2011, 02:55 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,623,473 times
Just when I thought it couldn't get worse-Macquery...what an idiot....he just made his grand jury testimony not worth sh(*-who are these stupid attorney's? Tell your clients to shut the hell up-

Since Macquery is lying to save his ass...this just help Sandusky's case. This case gets worse by the day-

Old 11-17-2011, 03:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Just when I thought it couldn't get worse-Macquery...what an idiot....he just made his grand jury testimony not worth sh(*-who are these stupid attorney's? Tell your clients to shut the hell up-

Since Macquery is lying to save his ass...this just help Sandusky's case. This case gets worse by the day-
I don't think it matters. What is going to get Sandusky put away are the actual victims that came forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football