Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 07:24 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
And you are just now thinking he isn't a good coach? He is a massively overpaid CEO type of coach - and seems wholly dependent on having a a few outstanding playmakers (especially QBs) to lead his teams.
I don't follow Big12 as much as SEC and Pac12, so I guess my reaction's a bit delayed. I thought he was a good coach, because he was putting a good product on the field up until about three years ago. But there's been a huge drop-off. One thing is, Mack just doesn't seem to get his boys up for big games anymore. I'm saying this from a distance, but that does seem to be the problem from what I've seen. Used to be, Texas was the team that was to be feared on that Big12 (or whatever opponent's) schedule, but it seems like these days Texas is the team that sometimes just doesn't show up. OU was a classic case. I expected OU to win, but what struck me was that Texas just didn't look prepared. That's on the coach. I've seen some of that in the SEC with Les Miles and Mark Richt, but they've usually found ways to recover. Texas, however, has not. They've been blowing big games over the past three years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times
[quote=Bass&Catfish2008;26708964][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;26620273]

Grades Week 10
:

Kansas State/A-
Oklahoma/B+
Baylor/B+
Texas/B
TCU/B
Iowa State/C
Oklahoma State/C-
West Virginia/D+
Texas Tech/D
Kansas/D-

Old 11-06-2012, 12:50 PM

Default I Like Mack Brown, but...

...this is ridiculous. Brown probably threw the Horns Down sign when he was an assistant at OU way back in the day.

Although players/fans should definitely do it, I do agree that coaches probably shouldn't do it. Just kinda immature like it would be if Horn Coaches called OU "Zero U," etc.

Mack Brown says the

P.S. The article mentions the Big 12 South....made me kinda miss it. Hoping we can get back to some divisions (whether East/West or South/North or something else?) some day in the Big XII. This 10 team business isn't my cup of tea.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,355,000 times
Nothing wrong with the fans doing it, since they don't have one of their own. UT fans generally laugh at that stupid stuff - especially when wwe see aggys doing it on TV at a game that doesn't involve Texas. lol. But then again, they're aggy.

Players during a game? No...it's clearly taunting...especially on the field and should be flagged.

If Mike Davis can be flagged for his "guns up" (& holstered) in the endzone against Tech Saturday in Lubbock, then so should ANY opponents player who does the hornsdown on the field. The rule should be applied consistently, but I have NEVER seen an opposing player flagged for taunting UT player with the hornsdown, or doing it on the sidelines or endzone.

When UT's Roy Williams (Good Roy) scored a TD in Austin many years ago, he ran up to the Texas fans on the 1st row and did the Hook'em....and was flagged for "excessive celebration"! lol, what a tool that ref was - there were no opposing players or fans nearby.

Brown has a point there as far as players are concerned.

Otherwise he needs to shut up about the fans.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,611,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Nothing wrong with the fans doing it, since they don't have one of their own. UT fans generally laugh at that stupid stuff - especially when wwe see aggys doing it on TV at a game that doesn't involve Texas. lol. But then again, they're aggy.

Players during a game? No...it's clearly taunting...especially on the field and should be flagged.

If Mike Davis can be flagged for his "guns up" (& holstered) in the endzone against Tech Saturday in Lubbock, then so should ANY opponents player who does the hornsdown on the field. The rule should be applied consistently, but I have NEVER seen an opposing player flagged for taunting UT player with the hornsdown, or doing it on the sidelines or endzone.

When UT's Roy Williams (Good Roy) scored a TD in Austin many years ago, he ran up to the Texas fans on the 1st row and did the Hook'em....and was flagged for "excessive celebration"! lol, what a tool that ref was - there were no opposing players or fans nearby.

Brown has a point there as far as players are concerned.

Otherwise he needs to shut up about the fans.
Mack has lost it. Horns down is disrespectful? How about having the words "OU sucks" in your fight song that you sing at every single game Mack?

Mack Brown is the best thing that ever happened to OU Football. He actually sucks worse than the team that he coaches. LOL.

Does VY or Colt boy have a year of eligibility left? LMAO.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:11 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,611,614 times
Here ya go mack. LMAO.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Mack has lost it. Horns down is disrespectful? How about having the words "OU sucks" in your fight song that you sing at every single game Mack?

Mack Brown is the best thing that ever happened to OU Football. He actually sucks worse than the team that he coaches. LOL.

Does VY or Colt boy have a year of eligibility left? LMAO.
"OU sucks" is NOT a part of the Texas fight song - it is chanted the week before the RRS and on that gameday...not any other time - and the players do NOT chant it at all.

But then, I suppose you think Texas players should not be flagged for shoving the Hookem sign at your guys to taunt them?

Let the fans have at it with the taunting, but players no. (that doesn't include the time honored trashtalking between players on the field). The taunting penalty is there for a reason, so the refs need to be consistent.

I notice you guys weren't struttin' so much before this current 3 game winning streak, so remember..your turn will come again soon.

Brown's crystal football is a lot newer than Stoop's, so smoke that one.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Here ya go mack. LMAO.

Wow! That last pic is my favorite for a number of reasons!

Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

Wow! That last pic is my favorite for a number of reasons!
Kinda funny, we beat three of those teams this season.

The other two will get theirs next year fo' sho'.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
especially when wwe see aggys doing it on TV at a game that doesn't involve Texas. lol. But then again, they're aggy.
Your posts would be so much more meaningful if you didn't continue your fixation on what Aggies do and don't do. They don't actually do horns down very often, and in spite of your comment above rarely do it during non-UT events regardless of what a TV camera might show. Not sure where you see this. Since there are so few AM&-UT events now, I think Aggies will spend less time with UT-related gestures. Maybe they'll stop sawing horns off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football