Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 03:28 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,881,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Can't even see a clear cut Big XII champ right now.

It's gonna be tough for EVERYONE.
That is why it is a good conference. Every victory is earned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 06:09 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Nebraska, Colorado, and Mizzou are no where to be seen in the top 25.

I am sure UTx fans are calling for Mack Brown's head. I think every team has to rebuild at some point, but I can't see Texas having to rebuild, I mean everyone and their brother were crying over the Longhorn network and how it would give UT an unfair advantage with recruiting. TX always has the talent! Maybe they need talented coaches?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:55 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Current Conference Standings:

Kansas State (3-0)

TCU (2-1)

Texas Tech (2-1)

West Virginia (2-1)

Oklahoma (2-1)

Oklahoma State (1-1)

Iowa State (1-2)

Texas (1-2)

Baylor (0-2)

Kansas (0-3)

Wide open....

Old 10-15-2012, 07:51 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times
Quote:
Current Conference Standings:

Kansas State (3-0)

TCU (2-1)

Texas Tech (2-1)

West Virginia (2-1)

Oklahoma (2-1)

Oklahoma State (1-1)

Iowa State (1-2)

Texas (1-2)

Baylor (0-2)

Kansas (0-3)

Wide open....
I like how you randomly put that top-down order of ranking there, Friend!

Based on the quality of wins and types of losses this is how I would rank 'em (pretty much resembles the polls):

Kansas State
Oklahoma
West Virginia (3a)/Texas Tech (3b)
Texas Christian University
Texas
Oklahoma State
Iowa State (8a)/Baylor (8b)
Kansas

Old 10-15-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
How rude of those Sooners...they didn't use any lube at all!

Oh well, at least I'll be dead before they can ever tie up the series. lol

The only thing that surprised me about that game was the competent Texas offense going belly-up Saturday.
The defense had already been exposed by the 4 weak teams we already played. No fundamentals anywhere on that side of the ball.
I was there and it was downright electric. Heavy in the air. This rivalry is so storied and full of so much intensity you really can't describe it properly. It has to be experienced.

I expected for the Sooners to run on 'em a bit, but I was surprised how efficiently our O-Line blew up your front four all day. Also, the Horn tackling was horrible. I don't know what's going on there, but there needs to be 3-4 days of the defense just working on properly tackling and wrapping up at the point of attack. There were probably a dozen plays where a 4-6 yrd. play turned into a 10 yrd. play simply because of poor tackling.

I was also surprised by OU's pass rush against Ash. I thought those big 'ol 300lb. white-boys would have created a more secure pocket for Ash to throw. He was running from the defensive front and linebackers when they staggered the blitz most of the day. Also, the Horn receivers did not help Ash out much at all, several dropped balls. The safety in Texas' endzone was unacceptable. Gotta find a way to get a better push than that....IMO, that was pretty much the nail in the coffin because it was obvious that the Horn O-Line was just getting out-manned and they were already tired. That doesn't happen too often.

OU's offense: I think "wow" comes to my mind when you think of the capability of these runners when they get a crease. That O-Line was crushing all day and D. Williams appears to be even better than advertised. We didn't even use our elite speed guy (Whaley) cause Williams is so dang shifty, strong, and has great vision and speed as well. For the vast majority of the game, Landry took care of the ball (except for the one he forced into double coverage that got intercepted!) and the O-Line did a great job of protecting him against some very good D-Ends. The receivers did well, but there were several dropped passes. Can't argue though when the run game is gashing the opposing D like that.

OU's defense: They're MEAN again! This is (by far!) my favorite aspect of OU's team right now. I think it is pretty clear that Mike Stoops has already made a huge difference. The biggest difference for me in Mike's D and Brent's: It seems like in M. Stoops' defense the guys are around the ball much more....the players know their schemes/responsibilities and are in position to make plays. It's less of a "gamble" defense like Venables' appeared to be where it was either sack the QB or give up a big play. Big difference in the defense even with a D-Line that probably isn't as skilled to what we're used to, but the secondary is a lot of fun to watch. They're always on their guys and making tackles even when the opposing offense makes an accurate throw.

I obviously loved the dominating win. But I'm waiting for Texas to get back to where it needs to be. I'm so tired of our conference playing second fiddle to the Southeasterners. Time for the Southwesterners to rise back up....that can only happen if Texas is where it's supposed to be.

My favorite part of the game, actually, was not winning (as good as that was!). It was when the whole stadium stood and clapped for the young Horn player with a neck injury as he was carted off the field. It was a great gesture of camaraderie and well-being.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 10-15-2012 at 08:42 AM..

Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Grades Week 6:
Iowa State/A
West Virginia/A-
Kansas State/B
Oklahoma/B
Texas Tech/C-
Texas/D+
TCU/D
Kansas/D
Oklahoma/A
Texas Tech/A-
TCU/B
Kansas State/B-
Iowa State/C
Oklahoma State/C-
Kansas/D+
West Virginia/D
Texas/D
Baylor/D-

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 10-15-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 AM

352 posts, read 797,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Well the Big 12 is a real football conference with good teams and not an awful cupcake conference (ACC) so anything goes.

Trying to put the TT/WVU game behind me..it was devastating..hoping the defensive unit is digging in this week to take on Kansas. Geno and the offense should "bounce back" and this being a home game will help some. As always...Go Mounties!

Big XII ball is proving to be a challenging but,exciting and fun Conference to be part of!

Old 10-15-2012, 03:26 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I like how you randomly put that top-down order of ranking there, Friend!

Based on the quality of wins and types of losses this is how I would rank 'em (pretty much resembles the polls):

Kansas State
Oklahoma
West Virginia (3a)/Texas Tech (3b)
Texas Christian University
Texas
Oklahoma State
Iowa State (8a)/Baylor (8b)
Kansas
Actually, I got the exact order from ESPN....2012 NCAA College Football Standings - ESPN

I'm guessing because OU is 4-1 overall and TCU, Tech, and West Virginia are all 5-1.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Actually, I got the exact order from ESPN....2012 NCAA College Football Standings - ESPN

I'm guessing because OU is 4-1 overall and TCU, Tech, and West Virginia are all 5-1.
Gotcha. I was going more off of national perception/polls.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:19 PM

[quote=Bass&Catfish2008;26516215]

I left out the heading on the other post so let's try this again:

Grades Week 7:
Oklahoma/A
Texas Tech/A-
TCU/B
Kansas State/B-
Iowa State/C
Oklahoma State/C-
Kansas/D+
West Virginia/D
Texas/D
Baylor/D-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football