Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 08:51 AM

16 posts, read 16,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
This isn't entirely true. Just as humanities majors need to take math to graduate, math majors need to take humanities classes to graduate. Most colleges require a certain number of writing classes in order to call yourself a college graduate.

I am not going to argue with you but my opinion is that it is reasonable to require that a person be able to read, write and do math at a college level to be a college graduate.
Is it reasonable that physically disabled person be required to perform with no help for their disability?

I have friend who has PhD is Physics. She can not write sentences due to her severe Dyslexia. Her friends helped her with her papers. She told them the technical stuff was fine, just fix thewriting stuff.

Her writing sounds like broken English. I tutor student. It would be your attitude that she be denied her PhD AND her Masters, because she can not write.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes MQ you were correct! You were the inspiration for my post and crusade, as well as my subsequent research into the subject of Dyscakculia.

I was able to pass a college math course, which I took in about 1978. I took the class voluntarily because at the time I was Pre-Law, and my adviser recommended that I take the class because "it would look good on my transcript." What a wonderful reason for taking a class. I think my final grade, had I not taken the class "Pass/No Record", would have been around a C or C+. I am glad that I took it though, because later when I completed my BA in Social Science, with a minor in Women's Studies at Stony Brook University, I would have been forced to take a math course, at this extremely Math - Science heavy university and God knows what would have happened!

Now I am 12 credits shy of my MA ( had to abandon that when we moved to PA) and when I move yet again, I am committed to completing this MA, and perhaps even taking it further.

And I am still terrible at Math,

I remember absolutely nothing about this class. What a complete waste of time, energy and money!

I am not sure that I actually have dyscaculia, but I can say that my weakness in math has defined many things for me

Please check out the website dysacalcuiia.org. The descriptions provided fit me to a T!
Nice to her a positve comment. it is real as much as a physical disability.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:49 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,656,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I suggest you just buck up and pass a math class. I didn't get to pass a class called "History of Writing" or "History of Reading" when I got by BS in engineering. I had to write a thesis to get my BS.
"Buck up and pass a math class"?

You don't read very well, do you. That poster stated that they did pass a math class in college. And has never stated that she, herself has that particular problem.

I just spent 45 minutes reading through this thread. Your attitude comes across as bitter and judgemental, as well as arrogant.

Someone is attempting to help other people who have a learning disability, and you try to put them down for it? Wow...just wow.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harold saxon View Post
Typical response for those who do not have a problem.it's like saying, if you can't read, you are stupid. If you can't walk, you are lazy. If you can't do math you are useless.

30 years ago Dyslexics were classified as useless, clumsy, stupid. Now it is recognized as learning disability of the way their brain functions.

Dyscalculia or if you will, the simple but not accurate explanation.... math dyslexia is just getting recognition. It's the way the brain works. Not everyone is a genius. The brain is different for everyone.

People who have physical disabilities are not told they are stupid because they can't walk, can't see, can't hear.

Does an artist need to know algebra? Do non math related jobs require math tht will never be used?
Quote:
Originally Posted by harold saxon View Post
And people who are in wheel chairs can walk if they try. That's foolish. Isaac Asimov wanted to be a physicist. He realized he could not do the math, so he went for other degrees. Not being proficient in math does not diminish his talent.
1. Reading absolutely IS fundamental. If you can't read, you really have a problem. I'm not talking about people who don't read for pleasure, would rather do something else in their spare time. I have never heard anyone say that someone who can't walk is "lazy", or that someone who can't do math is "useless".

2. No, 30 years ago people with dyslexia (not "dyslexics"; we health professionals all learned not to refer to patients as "gallbladders", "hip replacements", etc.) were not classified as "useless, clumsy, stupid". You must be very young to think that 30 years ago (1986) was back in the dark ages. I think it's been recognized for a long time that different people have different abilities. Even the OP now says she doesn't think she has dyscalculia.

3. You keep hammering away at physical disabilities, particularly being wheelchair-bound, as an analogy, but it's not an appropriate analogy. Most physical disabilities do not interfere with learning.

4. "Does an artist need to know algebra?" Well, I'm not an artist, so I don't know for sure, but I'd think an artist would need to know some math to make a pleasing picture, or a sculpture that stays together, etc.

5. "Do non math related jobs require math tht will never be used?" What job will never require math? Name one. I can't think of any. A trash collector would need to know how much his/her truck will hold. And so on.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 2,861 times
Katarina Witt, do you really lack the ability to look up "jobs that don't require math"?

No, an artist does not need math to make art. That's hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.

I'm pretty sure the garbage man does not need to know the exact limit his truck can handle. I quite frequently see them pulling our their calculators before they dare to put any trash in there. Or you know, could it be that though the process of experience and common sense they figure these things out? Nah...

There's a reason why some colleges let you substitute math. It's because, surprise, not all degrees need it. Astounding. Amazing.

I bet you never struggled a day in your life. I pity you.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:19 AM

LOVE it!!!!! You must be young.... 70. Cher is 71 and still rockin it!

Old 05-22-2017, 07:35 AM

And then it may be Auditory Processing Disorder.
I have one thing in common with Einstein and Daniel Radcliffe..... tying shoelaces.
It seems that I have a bit of various Dys's.
Literal thoughts.
Directions.
Instinctively knowing left from right.
Reading a map (mentally reversing the street map name location to correlate with the actual direction that is the reverse of the map).
Dyspraxia.... tying shoelaces, dexterity, muscular co-ordination
Processing information accurately

Old 05-22-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
I agree. I used to have this mend set that I can never learn anything over basic algebra. Even algebra was extremely hard and challenging for me to learn, but once you have the right teachers and professors, it can be done. Its just going out to seek the right help when you need and perseverance. Now I done statistics and precalc and going to later take calc 1. It can be done.

if one can read, then one can understand theoretical physics?
The idea that if you can read, that's all you need to understand math. If that were true EVERYone would understand theoretical physics.

Not the case. Even brilliant people have a math wall they can't overcome. For some it's set really low.

A summer spent morning and afternoon on Geometry. No matter how many hours, a certain element of geometry could not be comprehended. This was when Dyslexia was NOT recognized.

Hidden disabilities are just as vaild as physical ones. Because you can't see it, does not mean it isn't there.

Things have changed since the 50s and early 60s.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00000iii View Post
Katarina Witt, do you really lack the ability to look up "jobs that don't require math"?

No, an artist does not need math to make art. That's hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.

I'm pretty sure the garbage man does not need to know the exact limit his truck can handle. I quite frequently see them pulling our their calculators before they dare to put any trash in there. Or you know, could it be that though the process of experience and common sense they figure these things out? Nah...

There's a reason why some colleges let you substitute math. It's because, surprise, not all degrees need it. Astounding. Amazing.

I bet you never struggled a day in your life. I pity you.
An artist doesn't need to understand proportion? That's math. An artist doesn't need to know how big a picture to paint to get in a certain frame? Doesn't have to figure out the quantity of supplies needed? Etc.

And everyone needs to know some math to manage their finances.

Got any more insults for me?

Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 2,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
An artist doesn't need to understand proportion? That's math. An artist doesn't need to know how big a picture to paint to get in a certain frame? Doesn't have to figure out the quantity of supplies needed? Etc.

And everyone needs to know some math to manage their finances.

Got any more insults for me?
There are plenty of artists who don't need instruments to figure out proportion, etc. How do you think the first artists made their art? Through observation. I know it's hard for you to see that, and I'm sorry you can't get your head around that, I really am.

Again, there's a reason some colleges let you pass without needing to go through math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities