Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 09:23 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,848,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I doubt Harris Teeter is coming back. They had several opportunities to buy old Piggly Wiggly locations in Columbia, but did not - while they did do so in Charleston. I think we'll see an aggressive expansion by Kroger but no Harris Teeters.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but outside of suburban Charlotte (i.e., Rock Hill), Charleston is Harris Teeter's only market in SC. There used to be a store in Pawleys Island / Litchfield, but it was abandoned years ago, and that's a relatively upscale market.
They're adding one in Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 09:44 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,034,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I didn't realize that. But, looking at Kroger's website, there aren't any of those in Greenville. Perhaps the plan is to expand Kroger here in lieu of Harris Teeter.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:55 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,459,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
And Bluffton.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:43 AM

746 posts, read 750,176 times
There is also a store in Florence.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:14 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,034,995 times
Hmm, I definitely stand corrected. Weird that Florence has one before Greenville and that Columbia is still without one. Maybe we'll get one somewhere downtown or Columbia Common, maybe the Cardinal Newman redevelopment. Honestly, I like Harris Teeter, but with EarthFare, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Publix, I don't feel like we're lacking in the grocery department.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:34 AM

229 posts, read 395,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nin_man View Post
It's a dubious honor, but I'll take what I can get. If only you all could feel how my heart sank this morning when I saw that sign. I swear, the places that are opening up there so far are going to make my house worth less.

I'm sure someone out there is pretty jazzed that they don't have to drive six miles to eat at their favorite restaurant anymore so I'm happy for them, I suppose.

I'm ecstatic only because it's a restaurant finally among all the fast food chains. Let's count:

Arby's, popeyes, McD's, BurgerKing, Blimpie, Zaxbys, tacobell, bojangles, chickfila, panda express.

And finally our first restaurant in the area. It beats Montereys and that china dragon place(in the walmart area)

Old 05-20-2015, 09:11 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,291,481 times
Default Publix in Sumter, South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Sumter update........
I have on good authority from a friend who is a VP at a local bank that Publix has bought the corner lot of Wise and Alice where John Brabham real estate and the former batting cages/restaurant are located.
I have heard rumors of Publix scouting Sumter and Florence for new store locations.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:36 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,291,481 times
Default Kroger and Harris Teeter in the Columbia, South Carolina Region

Harris Teeter currently operates 23 stores in South Carolina: Charleston (5), Florence, Fort Mill (3), Hilton Head Island (2), Indian Land, Isle of Palms, Johns Island, Mount Pleasant (6), Rock Hill and Summerville (2). Three additional stores are progressing in Bluffton, Johns Island and Greenville.

Harris Teeter had several stores that were divested to Bi-Lo in 2001. These included stores in Pawleys Island, Greenville County and Spartanburg County that are no longer in operation.

I see Kroger looking to infill across North Carolina and South Carolina either through its Kroger Marketplace stores, through Harris Teeter, or through the acquisition of several stores or another chain. Kroger is established in the Columbia region despite the closure of three stores over a 15-year span. It is a region that can be renewed through larger Kroger Marketplace stores. If additional smaller stores are to be considered, Harris Teeter or another chain may be an option.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:42 AM

110 posts, read 140,219 times
Here are the Harris Teeter Locations in SC for reference - Harris Teeter Grocery Store and Pharmacy Locations in SOUTH CAROLINA (SC)

Old 07-09-2015, 08:54 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,848,875 times
Another Neighborhood Walmart coming to Columbia, this one on road river road near the Beatty intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area