Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It's all a matter of opinion, it's up to the OP to decide what they want to do. Symantec will have to do more than get lucky with a new release before I recommend them.
I'm not asking you to recommend them. I am asking you to not tell someone not to use it when you haven't used it and don't know what you are talking about.

This is true for any product hardware or software. Too often I see people recommending garbage or warning against good products, and it irritates me.

We all have our triggers and this is one of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 07:36 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It's all a matter of opinion, it's up to the OP to decide what they want to do. Symantec will have to do more than get lucky with a new release before I recommend them.
I wouldn't think building from the ground up, getting lucky.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:33 PM

652 posts, read 1,784,820 times
I am confused by Asheville Natives advice. My understanding from an email exchange with a Spybot S&D tech last year when I got one of those Russian malware's that install and gives false warnings and constant popups trying to seel you the product. What they told me as I complained about Spybot wanting to remove Ad-Aware Alert is that Ad-Aware Alert was a malware program according to them.
I even had the Lavasoft paid version of it! But alas it didn't work to stop that infection and neither did my Norton.
I ended up with AVG 8.5 and Spybot S&D as my main defense and also OEM MS defenses.
Does anyone have verifiable information on this here? I'd hate to see these people continue to be exposed because of a lack of current knowledge. There is also the possibility that RAM is compromised is't there? I'm assuming the OP ran disc cleanup and disc defragmentor.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:42 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Ad-Aware from Lavasoft is NOT spyware. I don't find it or Spybot particularly effective though and Spybot's tea timer is annoying as hell.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 PM

652 posts, read 1,784,820 times
Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Ad-Aware from Lavasoft is NOT spyware. I don't find it or Spybot particularly effective though and Spybot's tea timer is annoying as hell.
I am not sure what the teatimer is exactly but it does take a lot of space. I would like to make the point that S&D tech did, he called it malware not spyware seeming to make a distinction between the two which I did not bother to enquire about when I referred to it as spyware. I was too busy trying to get that puter back up to think about little things like that.
What do you use?

Old 04-30-2009, 09:29 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
I am not sure what the teatimer is exactly but it does take a lot of space. I would like to make the point that S&D tech did, he called it malware not spyware seeming to make a distinction between the two which I did not bother to enquire about when I referred to it as spyware. I was too busy trying to get that puter back up to think about little things like that.
What do you use?
Malware, spyware, trojan, etc is all the same as far as I'm concerned: bad software on your computer that in one way or another works against your best interests. Ad-Aware isn't any of that. I personally don't use any anti-spyware/malware software on my own machines but I use Malwarebytes Antimalware (malwarebytes.org) to clean lots of people's computers.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:23 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Ad-Aware seems to be going in the bloat direction, even the free version that you have to manually run loads a service or 2 now. Spybot still works pretty well (just don't load tea timer) but it takes forever to scan.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:22 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
I'll second those comments. Spybot S&D does work, but the TeaTimer is never loaded when I use it. AdAware is useful, too, but I have never used anything but the free version. Malwarebytes does what it's there for. I have not experienced any problems with a few hundred machines using the Windows Defender, which provides real time protection. Look for it at the Windows Update site.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:34 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times
I seldom use Spybot or Ad Aware these days. I wouldn't run either unless I had something nasty where it might find something the big artillery doesn't take out.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I seldom use Spybot or Ad Aware these days. I wouldn't run either unless I had something nasty where it might find something the big artillery doesn't take out.
I don't run it either as a matter of course. I did d/l and run both on the friends computer, they each removed a bunch of stuff, and system seemed clean.

Then I uninstalled both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers