Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 05:21 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times

Advertisements

ctfmon is required by very few people, I disable it on every machine I build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 02:32 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,135,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
ctfmon is required by very few people, I disable it on every machine I build.
Is there a way to experiment with it? Maybe disable it and see if there is a difference? Just curious.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Is there a way to experiment with it? Maybe disable it and see if there is a difference? Just curious.
Yup, though you can't disable it via msconfig as Microsoft deems that you need it and will re-enable it.

Frequently asked questions about Ctfmon.exe

Old 05-04-2009, 02:56 PM

621 posts, read 3,207,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Startup programs? I have two, and one of them is a Notepad reminder list located in All Programs/Startup, but I'm a bit fanatical about it.

If you would list them here you'll get good responses about what you do and don't need.

A list like this is sufficient for most: ctfmon, agrsmmsg, Nvcpl
Ok this is what programs are under startup in system configuration, a lot of these I don't need to run at startup, but I'm not sure which ones I definitely need. Thanks again for all your help!

NVIDIA Driver Helper Service
NVIDIA Compatible Windows Vista Display Driver
NVIDIA Media Center Library
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
SM56 Helper Win 32Utility
HD Audio Control Panel
RAID Event Monitor
HP QuickTour Touch onscreen display
Windows defender
HP Health Check center
Microsoft Windows operating system
LightScribe
Yahoo messenger
EPSON status
HP Quickplay
HP Quick launch buttons
Symantec
HpqSRmon
HP Wireless
Java
Quicktime
itunes
hpwuschd A
Adobe acrobat
Verizon services
Bluetooth
Program neighborhood agent

Old 05-04-2009, 03:40 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
This from another thread in Computers that is about IE tabs opening slowly. I'm terrible at linking across topics so I copied this in it's entirety. Quiet Walker is the original author. If you use Google toolbar this may be the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
taurus430, I see you started this thread on 4/28. Do you have the google toolbar at the top of your IE screen? I've read the three pages here and I'm not clear if you do or do not.

I have the google toolbar and they did some kind of upgrade about the time you started this thread. One new "feature" was when one attempts to open a new tab, google, having kept track of all your past history, goes into its database and retrieves all your history and "favorites" and them puts them up for you to choose from. Which is dumb, if you're not wanting to go back to one of those sites. I suddenly found it took almost a minute to open a new tab while google did its thing. Very frustrating!!! After a lot of searching, I finally found the answer.

If you have the google toolbar look to the far right and the second to the last thing is a blue wrench with a drop down box. Hit the down arrow and from the list pick Options which is preceded by another blue wrench. Should open a Toolbar Options window with the top tab Search open. At the bottom of that window is checked Enable the Google new page tab after the google upgrade. Uncheck this box and then click Save at the bottom of the window. That stops this damned search for your entire history from happening and a new tab just opens right away, just like it used to

BTW, google toolbar came with my new computer experience. I don't know if it came from Dell, the seller, or Verizon FIOS which provides my isp. I suspect Dell, because Verizon also installed its own additional toolbar which I inadvertently removed when McAfee suggested there was some suspicious, cryptically named, mysterious program that was operating on my pc. I followed their advice to remove it and it turned out the Verizon tool bar

Hope this is helpful - Cheers qw

Old 05-04-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Ok this is what programs are under startup in system configuration, a lot of these I don't need to run at startup, but I'm not sure which ones I definitely need. Thanks again for all your help!

NVIDIA Driver Helper Service
NVIDIA Compatible Windows Vista Display Driver
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
SM56 Helper Win 32Utility
HD Audio Control Panel
RAID Event Monitor
HP QuickTour Touch onscreen display
Windows defender
HP Health Check center
Microsoft Windows operating system
LightScribe
Yahoo messenger
EPSON status
HP Quickplay
HP Quick launch buttons
Symantec
HpqSRmon
HP Wireless
Java
Quicktime
itunes
hpwuschd A
Adobe acrobat
Verizon services
Bluetooth
Program neighborhood agent
HP's actually have allot of crap that should be uninstalled, and you can Google each item to see what they are and decide if you need it, but I would disable the following;

SM56 Helper Win 32Utility (if you don't use the modem)
HP Health Check center
LightScribe (if you don't us this feature)
Yahoo messenger (unless your always on it)
HP Quickplay
HpqSRmon
Java
Quicktime
itunes (unless you have an iPod)
hpwuschd A
Adobe acrobat
Verizon services (unless you have a Verizon broadband wireless device)
Bluetooth (unless you use BT)
Program neighborhood agent - I have no clue what that does, never seen it before, so it's up to you, you can always re-enable it if you find you need it.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:26 PM

Program neighborhood agent looks to part of Citrix.

Good removal list, NHDave

Unless you are going to tweak your speakers

HD Audio Control Panel

can be removed.

I usually remove HP Quick Launch buttons

Old 05-04-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Program neighborhood agent looks to part of Citrix.

Good removal list, NHDave

Unless you are going to tweak your speakers

HD Audio Control Panel

can be removed.

I usually remove HP Quick Launch buttons
X2 on the audio panel, but as far as the quick launch, I believe that will cause the wireless and volume control buttons to stop functioning if you disable it, so I usually leave it alone, saves the time of having to walk the customer through re-enabling it if it turns out they use them.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
X2 on the audio panel, but as far as the quick launch, I believe that will cause the wireless and volume control buttons to stop functioning if you disable it, so I usually leave it alone, saves the time of having to walk the customer through re-enabling it if it turns out they use them.
Really? I'll have to scope that out. I may have ticked off a couple of clients, although I haven't heard back yet.

Edit: Here is what I thought that did.

http://hp-quick-launch-buttons.software.informer.com/

So if you use the buttons on the keyboard to maneuver, or any of the other things it will do, leave it in, if not (I find I hit the buttons by accident and screw things up) then remove. Putting the volume in the taskbar can be done from Properties (in XP, Vista still messes with me).

Old 05-04-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Really? I'll have to scope that out. I may have ticked off a couple of clients, although I haven't heard back yet.

Edit: Here is what I thought that did.

HP Quick Launch Buttons Software Informer: Latest version download, news and info about this Hewlett-Packard program. HP Quick Launch Buttons allows the use of multimedia buttons on they keyboard.

So if you use the buttons on the keyboard to maneuver, or any of the other things it will do, leave it in, if not (I find I hit the buttons by accident and screw things up) then remove. Putting the volume in the taskbar can be done from Properties (in XP, Vista still messes with me).
Although now that I think about, I loaded Windows 7 x64 on my nc6400 laptop and didn't load that software and the wireless and audio buttons work just fine
I have a brand new one in the shop with XP Pro on it, if I remember I'll play with it tomorrow and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers