Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:26 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,135,377 times

Advertisements

Might be less stuff for either of those if you ran CCleaner or Iobits Advanced System Care, plus it they get rid of a lot of other baggage like temp files and the like. I'd warn them that they'd better know their passwords because they'll have to log in again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 06:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Might be less stuff for either of those if you ran CCleaner or Iobits Advanced System Care, plus it they get rid of a lot of other baggage like temp files and the like. I'd warn them that they'd better know their passwords because they'll have to log in again.
Could be, but they worked, solved the problems, wasn't my system, favor for wife's friend, system back in hands of owner who is thrilled. I'm a happy camper with my choices I made in software to get clean the crap off, with little effort on my part. Had these not cleaned everything, would have tried other options.

Passwords; not an issue, they had forgotten the Administrator password, but that takes only a few minutes.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
I think the issue the S&D Tech had with AdAware wasn't what you were led to believe.

If your company releases a product that causes my product to have a problem which, in turn, lowers the reputation of my product in the marketplace then I will consider your product to be malware and spread the word.

So what you had wasn't malware; it was a head butting between two products and S&D's answer to the problem was to tell everyone they came into contact with that AdAware had malware in it. Every person that was convinced of this and removed AdAware was a win for them.

MS is good at using a variation of this kind of scare tactic. If you install software from a comapny that hasn't paid MS to "test and certify" it works with MS Windows you will see a warning to that effect. MS is hoping the sales of said software will suffer from the warning to the point the makers will belly up to bar and spend, if I remember correctly, something like $10-15K to get the certification.

In the process they scare their own customers (or try to). Good positive experience, that.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:54 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,953,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Hi all..I'm hoping you can help. Recently when surfing the internet my computer will freeze and a lot of the web pages "are not responding" or it takes a long time to load. I don't know what this is. I do have Norton virus/spyware protection and have run the scan, but nothing comes up. So I'm not sure if it's just my connection, I have FIOS, so I don't think it would be that. I'm at a loss. It wasn't always like this, I think it's got to be some kind of virus or spyware, but how would I go about finding it if it doesn't come up on my scan? Thanks for any help!
Hi, I'm on another thread in here about IE8 with a similar situation. Do your tabs take forever to load? There were suggestions and I did everything, scanned using all, nothing worked so I removed IE8 and went back to IE7 and it works better. I have McAfee antivirus so watch what you do as it may not be that. It's a process of elimination as know one really knows what's causing this. My antivirus wasn't even mentioned as a possibility.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Hi, I'm on another thread in here about IE8 with a similar situation. Do your tabs take forever to load? There were suggestions and I did everything, scanned using all, nothing worked so I removed IE8 and went back to IE7 and it works better. I have McAfee antivirus so watch what you do as it may not be that. It's a process of elimination as know one really knows what's causing this. My antivirus wasn't even mentioned as a possibility.
Someone knows, we just haven't found them yet!

Old 05-01-2009, 08:39 PM

1. Startup. Go to Start/Run and key in msconfig. Click OK. How many items are listed under the startup tab? If there are more than 6 would you list them for us?

2. What is listed in Add/Remove Programs in the control panel? Any toolbars listed? Anything mention shopping or coupons? Old programs you never use?

3. When is the last time you ran defrag, or a third-party equivalent?

4. Go to My Computer and right-click the Drive C: icon. Click Properties. Click the Tools tab. Click on Check Now. Put a check in both boxes and reboot. Let the scans run (Light blue screen, white text). Scans will likely take a while.

5. When you are waiting for the tab to open is your hard drive light on all the time?

6. Open Task Manager (Ctrl/Alt/Del). Click on the Processes tab. Notice that at the bottom of this window the CPU usage is displayed. In general this should be under 20% most of the time. If it's running consistently high then you have a process running that you may not know about.

7. Control Panel/System/Advanced tab. Performance Setting s button. Change setting to Best Performance. Click OK and the screen with go to gray scale and back to color. In the Advanced tab on the Performance screen fill the radio buttons for Programs in the top two boxes. In the bottom box the value should be at least 1024.

I'm probably forgetting something(s) but this is a good start.

Have at it.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:19 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,135,377 times
Quote:
Might try something like this.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:59 PM

621 posts, read 3,207,047 times
Quote:
Yes that's the main thing for me. When I try to open additional tabs it is really slow or completely freezes. I've been trying to plan a vacation so I keep opening multiple tabs to compare prices, but it's just awful. I've been trying some of the suggestions on here, but nothing has worked so far. I think I will DL Mozilla and try that instead. It might be crappy IE .

Old 05-02-2009, 10:07 PM

621 posts, read 3,207,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
1. Startup. Go to Start/Run and key in msconfig. Click OK. How many items are listed under the startup tab? If there are more than 6 would you list them for us?

2. What is listed in Add/Remove Programs in the control panel? Any toolbars listed? Anything mention shopping or coupons? Old programs you never use?

3. When is the last time you ran defrag, or a third-party equivalent?
Ok. 1st thank you so much for step by step instructions..that is what I need..lol. I went to my startup menu under msconfig and mine has about 31 programs. A lot of them are programs that I use, but not when it starts up? The rest I have no idea what they are. Should there be that many? I did run defrag the other night, but I had to end it early since I had to go to bed. I'm going to let it run fully tomorrow. The rest of your suggestions I'm working on .

Old 05-03-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Ok. 1st thank you so much for step by step instructions..that is what I need..lol. I went to my startup menu under msconfig and mine has about 31 programs. A lot of them are programs that I use, but not when it starts up? The rest I have no idea what they are. Should there be that many? I did run defrag the other night, but I had to end it early since I had to go to bed. I'm going to let it run fully tomorrow. The rest of your suggestions I'm working on .
Startup programs? I have two, and one of them is a Notepad reminder list located in All Programs/Startup, but I'm a bit fanatical about it.

If you would list them here you'll get good responses about what you do and don't need.

A list like this is sufficient for most: ctfmon, agrsmmsg, Nvcpl

This is an excellent reference if you prefer to do it yourself.

Sysinfo.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers