Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2021, 04:26 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarcus View Post
Sorry about the above I meant to post it earlier on this page. But that was announced today for Long Wharf. ... Separately, for Tweed and American Airlines their announcement they are leaving was expected but seems to say more about AA then about Tweed. The last few months the AA flights from New Haven have been over 75% full, good for industry standards. I agree with the above comment, that AA stayed due to the government subsidy. With Avelo starting non-stops to FLA, I won't be surprise if soon another Delta-type carrier starts flying, or if AA resumes when they are on better financial footing. ... Finally there is a Job Fair at Tweed tomorrow for anyone interested- they are hiring 108 workers there in the next few months.
Stamford effect arrive in New Haven ?

NEW HAVEN — There certainly would be water views.

More apartments are being proposed for the city, this time along the harbor off Long Wharf Drive.

The proposed site is on the south side of Long Wharf Drive on 4.3 acres between the Fusco’s Maritime Center and the Canal Dock Boathouse, on land that was home to a series of restaurants, the most recent being Lenny and Joe’s.

Read more https://www.nhregister.com/news/arti....php#taboola-1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 05:54 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Stamford effect arrive in New Haven ?

NEW HAVEN — There certainly would be water views.

More apartments are being proposed for the city, this time along the harbor off Long Wharf Drive.

The proposed site is on the south side of Long Wharf Drive on 4.3 acres between the Fusco’s Maritime Center and the Canal Dock Boathouse, on land that was home to a series of restaurants, the most recent being Lenny and Joe’s.

Read more https://www.nhregister.com/news/arti....php#taboola-1
These look nice but idk why people want to still build right on the water when flooding will become an issue everywhere in the near future

Old 09-14-2021, 08:38 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
These look nice but idk why people want to still build right on the water when flooding will become an issue everywhere in the near future
The renders look great, will be a great addition to the city when complete.
No one knows what Mother Nature has in store for us. Anyone who thinks they do is just speculating, science fiction.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:22 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I’m sure it’ll be built with that in mind

Old 09-15-2021, 06:47 AM

538 posts, read 331,104 times
Avelo Airlines just added another destination for non-stop from Tweed.

Starting Dec 16th they will begin a route to West Palm Beach Florida starting at $59 each way.

This is in addition to their non-stop flights to Orlando, Tampa, Ft Myers, and Ft Lauderdale.

I've already booked a trip for late January and will be flying Avelo.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:36 AM

192 posts, read 94,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
New Haven has more foot traffic than downtown Stamford in my experience and has for a while now.

I remember talking to a guy who owns a quick serve food concept in New Haven, and he said the foot traffic wasn't enough in Stamford, especially after the office workers go home. He chose to expand to Boston instead.
From my discussions with developers and even the city assessor, the City of New Haven is highly motivated to encourage high-density apartment development to increase their tax base. Stamford has a very solid, diversified tax base without such a pressing need. The city could be much larger than it is, but the city is constrains development more.

Connecticut has the lowest apartment vacancy rate out of any state in the country, and I really don't think things will improve until the state imposes a property tax like Maryland and funds schools and infrastructure with those funds, combined with overrides of local zoning. The attempts at banning single-family home zoning by heavy rail stations is a first step 20+ years late, but mandating high density apartment development of say a 3-5 FAR would be huge. It would create a megalopolis to compete with Boston, provide a viable urban alternative to NYC, and perhaps eventually spur redevelopment of Hartford.

New Haven is really a symbol of what is possible in much of urban Connecticut. Few places nationwide have changed that much in 25 years.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:53 AM

158 posts, read 198,792 times
Yes, I saw the Avelo announcement that they are adding another Non-Stop FLA route from New Haven; to Palm Beach- I think that one will be real popular, too.... Avelo is so far sticking with their announced plans of their "roll out," and it does seem that for their New Haven base they still plan to have 3 of their 737s based at Tweed come December. Their "Business Insider" article outlines a plan to have 5 of their planes based here by the Spring, so I wouldn't be surprised that if these flights sell well- that we could see places like Chicago or DC added for additional Non-Stops by the Spring.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:14 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTREInvestor View Post
From my discussions with developers and even the city assessor, the City of New Haven is highly motivated to encourage high-density apartment development to increase their tax base. Stamford has a very solid, diversified tax base without such a pressing need. The city could be much larger than it is, but the city is constrains development more.

Connecticut has the lowest apartment vacancy rate out of any state in the country, and I really don't think things will improve until the state imposes a property tax like Maryland and funds schools and infrastructure with those funds, combined with overrides of local zoning. The attempts at banning single-family home zoning by heavy rail stations is a first step 20+ years late, but mandating high density apartment development of say a 3-5 FAR would be huge. It would create a megalopolis to compete with Boston, provide a viable urban alternative to NYC, and perhaps eventually spur redevelopment of Hartford.

New Haven is really a symbol of what is possible in much of urban Connecticut. Few places nationwide have changed that much in 25 years.
Downtown New Haven have better nightlife than Downtown Stamford. Stamford have better apartments/condos to choose from that what New Haven lacks and some high paying jobs besides medical and bio tech. Networking with other professionals is easier in Stamford.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:06 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Downtown New Haven have better nightlife than Downtown Stamford. Stamford have better apartments/condos to choose from that what New Haven lacks and some high paying jobs besides medical and bio tech. Networking with other professionals is easier in Stamford.
Re: the apartments, not sure that's true anymore. There's a ton of new luxury apartments built and being built.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:14 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTREInvestor View Post

The state needs to keep its nose out of local matters, most prominently zoning. The town’s are best to judge what is best in their community, not the state and its one size fits all approach to planning.

Just look at the crap getting built because of 8-30g. If ever there is a law that will destroy our state’s character, it’s that one and it has to be stopped. It overrides local design standards so we are going to have high density housing in the middle of low density areas.

Just look at Fairfield and the dozen or more recent projects that are being crammed in there. Like the two six story buildings that will tower over the Merritt Parkway or the hideous eyesores filling entire lots in the Center. Or the high density development on High Street These monstrosities are being crammed in wherever developers want and it threatens to destroy the town. It’s disgusting.

The state needs to count privately owned, non-government sponsored affordable units. Fairfield has many of these in Tunxis Hill, Melville Village, Knapp’s Village and Kings Highway but they don’t count. This law penalizes a town that has long encouraged privately owned affordable housing. Then let the town’s decide where affordable housing should go. If they are not careful this will be the downfall of the Democrats and their overly liberal agenda in Connecticut. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut