Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 09:17 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
First step is hope they do not rescind the offer. Between this and days off requests I would bet the 2nd choice has been told "Don't write this off" yet. I have rescinded offers when candidates acted too entitled/made too many demands , as have many in positions choosing candidates,

I am wondering if subconsciously, you are not trying to push them into voiding the offer. Especially as you voiced concern in earlier posts at having total responsibility for taxes at this corp.

But while only time will tell if you can handle it, you have just 7 ui checks left and nothing at even an interview stage at this time. That means if this does not pan out, you are at a high risk of relying 100% on savings. That makes this request high risk, low return. (and I say that no matter how it turns out..as even if they maintain the offer, no doubt you are viewed as high maintenance going in..not good.)
I actually have 9 UI checks remaining. It ends on May 10th...exactly two months from now. But I have 7 weeks left until I'm considered long term unemployed.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:18 PM

And as for the voting...

I will vote for Bernie on Tuesday here in Ohio. Then, once I move to CT (if it works out), I will immediately register to vote (if possible) and vote for Bernie again in the April 26 primary. Then, if Bernie gets the nomination, I will vote for him AGAIN in November!

Old 03-10-2016, 09:29 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,724,528 times
I'm still struggling to figure out why you left your job in Hartford in the first place, LOL.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:01 PM

I just wish my grandparents never migrated to the U.S. and stayed in Italy so that I could have 7 weeks of PTO, free healthcare, longer lifespan, perfect California weather and tons of hot guys.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:31 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,724,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I just wish my grandparents never migrated to the U.S. and stayed in Italy so that I could have 7 weeks of PTO, free healthcare, longer lifespan, perfect California weather and tons of hot guys.
If your grandparents - as well as mine - stayed in Italy as opposed to immigrating to the US, you'd probably be low-income, uneducated, un- or underemployed and living in some backwater village in the countryside. Trust me when I say that 7 weeks of PTO, free healthcare, etc. would be the least of your concerns.

Our grandparents and great-grandparents from Italy were poor peasant farmers with virtually no opportunity to improve their lives in Italy, hence the reason why they immigrated to the US, Canada, Australia, etc.

Be careful what you wish for.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:42 AM

34,068 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
I actually have 9 UI checks remaining. It ends on May 10th...exactly two months from now. But I have 7 weeks left until I'm considered long term unemployed.

oh joy. That is still a drop in the bucket - 2 months.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:59 AM

214 posts, read 180,620 times
I have only been following your past 2 threads but apparently you have a quite a few based on all the comments.

If your plan was to ultimately be back in CT...why are you just discovering the moving costs NOW? Why was that not one of your first thought/plans when you decided to come back here? Makes no sense to me at all? That would one of been my first factors to consider when trying to relocate??

And why do you think you would be fired again from this job in Middletown? Are you thinking your behavior at work warrants being fired? If you are able to have this job in Middletown I suggest you do your best to keep it. If you are terminated from this job in Middletown...you stand a very good chance at being unemployed a lot longer than you are now.

I hope it works out for you.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:43 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
I have bad news.

Today, I got a precise estimate of the cost of relocation, of which I would have to pay for all of it.

The grand total will be around $4,000. To break the lease here will cost $2,000. The UHAUL ordeal will cost $1,800. And it will costs maybe another $100 to drive over there, and another $200 or so for storage costs.

After more consideration, especially how I had to spend $3,000 last summer to relocate here to Columbus, I just cannot justify spending a total of $7,000 in relo costs all out of my own pocket. I mean, what if I get fired again in Middletown? I'm scarred from the experience from last summer.

Therefore, I have contacted the recruiter and asked if the company can cover my relocation costs of $4,000 (or hopefully half of it), or else I will rescind the offer. The recruiter suggested this yesterday, but I told her to avoid asking the employer, because it will look like I'm asking for too much. And they have another candidate (who happens to be local) that they'd like to make an offer to if it doesn't work out with me. So we'll see what happens now.
Another slap, only this one would knock you into orbit.

You knew it was going to cost you to move back. You knew that your lease was going to go beyond the move date and you were responsible for that. None of this should be a surprise or matter in your decision to take the job. The amount you paid to move there has NOTHING to do with this. STOP MAKING EXCUSES and start acting like an adult. Accept that you screwed your life up AGAIN and pay the price. Your prospects in Columbus look mediocre at best. You have no ties there. You want to come back to Connecticut. You can afford to do it so shut up and do it. Enough with the drama. Act like a man already and accept the consequences of your poor decisions. Jay

Old 03-11-2016, 07:26 AM

3,163 posts, read 2,217,771 times
Quote:
I have bad news.

Today, I got a precise estimate of the cost of relocation, of which I would have to pay for all of it.

The grand total will be around $4,000. To break the lease here will cost $2,000. The UHAUL ordeal will cost $1,800. And it will costs maybe another $100 to drive over there, and another $200 or so for storage costs.

After more consideration, especially how I had to spend $3,000 last summer to relocate here to Columbus, I just cannot justify spending a total of $7,000 in relo costs all out of my own pocket. I mean, what if I get fired again in Middletown? I'm scarred from the experience from last summer.

Therefore, I have contacted the recruiter and asked if the company can cover my relocation costs of $4,000 (or hopefully half of it), or else I will rescind the offer. The recruiter suggested this yesterday, but I told her to avoid asking the employer, because it will look like I'm asking for too much. And they have another candidate (who happens to be local) that they'd like to make an offer to if it doesn't work out with me. So we'll see what happens now.
I don't think you should let the relocation costs become a roadblock to accepting an offer that would be good for your career development, and get you back to the area where you want to live. Do you realistically expect to obtain another offer that includes relocation expenses, and meets all the other criteria you want - or alternatively, a suitable position in Columbus? Sometimes we have to spend money upfront to get where we want to be later.

Also going into a new job with a mindset that you could get fired again is counter-productive. Negative expectations can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. But I would think whatever happens, having the support system of your family close by would be an advantage. Good luck and try not to let the little things get in the way of your future.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:32 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy-bound View Post
If you relocate to take a new job, and aren't provided a relo package, can't you deduct the moving expenses (including househunting, etc) on your taxes? When we moved to CT from TN, I took a new position and we were able to deduct our expenses. But I could be wrong--I'm not a tax person
Yup, you actually can. When I took my current position close to two years ago, I did NOT get relo covered and was taking a chance with the position since it was consulting (I'm not FTE, although consulting is common in my industry.) As long as you are moving from more than 35 miles from where your new job is located, you can write off your moving expenses.

So nep....get over the relo. Just write it off. And yes, it is that easy. I did it. You will just have to wait until next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut