Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2020, 02:49 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,561,982 times

Advertisements

And, thanks to the shift west...not much rain. The Connecticut and Mattabesset (Cromwell areas) still look as low as I've ever seen them.

Old 08-06-2020, 03:39 PM

385 posts, read 363,609 times
The National Guard is being called in to clear debris. Like I posted before(#2645) we need to start cutting trees down. In Quebec if a 30 foot tree is within 30 feet of a line, it comes down. Until we do a better job of cutting down dangerous trees, these outages will continue to happen.

All the tree huggers love trees until their power goes out!

Old 08-06-2020, 04:36 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
The National Guard is being called in to clear debris. Like I posted before(#2645) we need to start cutting trees down. In Quebec if a 30 foot tree is within 30 feet of a line, it comes down. Until we do a better job of cutting down dangerous trees, these outages will continue to happen.

I'm a tree hugger but dont mind if power goes out. That's what generators are for. I do mind more in summer but all I need is a bigger generator for my AC and I'm good. I have internet, fridge, lights, ect.

Did you forget the extensive tree cutting and pruning they did already??? And the new rule after the October snowstorm that they need to cut back 15 feet from wires? I think used to be 7 feet? They spent years and $$ pruning. How did that work out? Lmao.

Trees grow to 40-70+ feet. Not gonna happen taking all them down. Winds carry branches as well.

Lastly... instead of worrying about the trees and nature we should realize it's the power company and their inability to prepare. Plain and simple.

Old 08-06-2020, 04:45 PM

In CT

- More than 500 broken poles
- More than 3,000 downed spans of electrical wire
- More than 2,200 trees to be removed
- More than 700 blocked roads
- More than 170 damaged transformers

Restoration crews helping from MA, Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, NC, MD, NY.

https://www.eversource.com/content/c.../after-a-storm

Old 08-06-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I'm a tree hugger but dont mind if power goes out. That's what generators are for. I do mind more in summer but all I need is a bigger generator for my AC and I'm good. I have internet, fridge, lights, ect.

Did you forget the extensive tree cutting and pruning they did already??? And the new rule after the October snowstorm that they need to cut back 15 feet from wires? I think used to be 7 feet? They spent years and $$ pruning. How did that work out? Lmao.

Trees grow to 40-70+ feet. Not gonna happen taking all them down. Winds carry branches as well.

Lastly... instead of worrying about the trees and nature we should realize it's the power company and their inability to prepare. Plain and simple.
The tree cutting program was insufficient. You may not mind if the power goes out but a lot of people can't afford a generator like you!

Like I said before , if a tree is 30 feet high and within 30 feet of a wire..it should come down.

You seem to be the biggest complainer about Eversourse..

Old 08-06-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
The tree cutting program was insufficient. You may not mind if the power goes out but a lot of people can't afford a generator like you!

Like I said before , if a tree is 30 feet high and within 30 feet of a wire..it should come down.

You seem to be the biggest complainer about Eversourse..
Yup, the company not being prepared. Plain and simple. Reason why Sandy wasn't as bad is because they were ready and crews were waiting in parking lots the day before. Their fault. Not the trees.

Good luck trying to taking down trees within 30 feet of wire. Easier done on the parkways, not all roads especially woodsy areas.. Then you still have those 50-70 footers still around and more susceptible to falling without a shield from the ones in front of them.

FYI... I borrowed the genny from someone who has power.. All the other times I lost power I didn't have one and didn't mind. Especially in winter I don't mind at all.. I used that power adaptor I posted twice about. Good for laptop and a light and charge phones. We are all too spoiled

Old 08-06-2020, 05:13 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
3rd day without power. Connecticut is now #1

I love that Eversource has not mentioned crews from other states. Scrolling through their tweets, not 1 mention. I'm sure they appreciate them but why not the mention? Maybe I missed it. Have a scroll for yourself and see all the downed wires/tree photos they are posting

https://twitter.com/EversourceCT

I'm not sure if CT related, but I was going south on I-684 around 4pm or so today and I saw going northbound a large convoy of about 20 out-of-town utility trucks.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:20 PM

833 posts, read 500,942 times
Quote:

These far out of state comparisons never work because forest compositions are vastly different. Instead of cutting the trees based off distance to the line, there needs to be more thought put into individual trees. Species such as shagbark hickory are strong, keep them and get rid of the weaker species near the lines.

Currently the tree cutting program seems random at best. Cutting perfectly healthy massive tulip trees yet leaving dead stags and heavy leaners right next to the line. It's just mind-blowingly stupid.

Just over the border in NYS they are receiving power back tonight, roads were cleared while the storm was still going on. The problem lies within the storm planning of Eversource. But like I said earlier, now is not the time to complain - once this all blows over (pun not intended) we should start to investigate it.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstodur View Post
These far out of state comparisons never work because forest compositions are vastly different. Instead of cutting the trees based off distance to the line, there needs to be more thought put into individual trees. Species such as shagbark hickory are strong, keep them and get rid of the weaker species near the lines.

Currently the tree cutting program seems random at best. Cutting perfectly healthy massive tulip trees yet leaving dead stags and heavy leaners right next to the line. It's just mind-blowingly stupid.

Just over the border in NYS they are receiving power back tonight, roads were cleared while the storm was still going on. The problem lies within the storm planning of Eversource. But like I said earlier, now is not the time to complain - once this all blows over (pun not intended) we should start to investigate it.
PURA is opening the investigation.

https://ctmirror.org/2020/08/05/lamo...recover-power/

Old 08-06-2020, 05:27 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Got my power back this afternoon. What a cluster! Multiple roads blocked with no signage. People apparently have been living under a rock this week and don't know you treat dead lights as 4 way stops? Not 2, not 3, but all sides stop. Just leaving the house is taking your life in your hands.

I was unable to use my phone as a hotspot at all. Not going to lie, it was kind of nice being off the grid, but super annoying that I couldn't even get the important weather alerts.

I *still* haven't seen a utility or tree truck. Cam is right about Eversource. In the past they'd brag about how many crews were on standby for an impending storm. This time, no crews waiting plus the outage system was down. Epic fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut