Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2022, 09:01 PM

34,287 posts, read 17,372,575 times

Advertisements

It was sad watching Clinton violate our wonderful transition of classy, Election Night concession speeches.

Gore 2000 had an excuse as no network made an absolute Election Night call.

Every network validated Clinton's defeat in the same wee hours Election Night as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 05:13 AM

7,955 posts, read 7,899,474 times
There are other ways of doing things but it depends. Primaries should not be six months long. If it was say in reverse from smallest to biggest and stage that say in two months it could save time. But there's other aspects as well. I mean I'd argue the presidency should probably be one six year term. Elections are one thing but reelections to me get into an odd situation where you say you need more time on a constant basis, ok fine give more time. Make congress three years instead of two. Right now we have every two years someone is up for office for congress and then there's the primary. This is why somethings don't get done.

With respect to the house of representatives vs senate this is odd and hypocritical. If the senate represents the state then it should be elected by the state not the general public. If the general public needs to elect people that nullifies the idea of a district. We're doing the opposite. Why not just create randomization so you have less jerry rigging and represent a broad range rather than just a sliver.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
There are other ways of doing things but it depends. Primaries should not be six months long. If it was say in reverse from smallest to biggest and stage that say in two months it could save time. But there's other aspects as well. I mean I'd argue the presidency should probably be one six year term. Elections are one thing but reelections to me get into an odd situation where you say you need more time on a constant basis, ok fine give more time. Make congress three years instead of two. Right now we have every two years someone is up for office for congress and then there's the primary. This is why somethings don't get done.

With respect to the house of representatives' vs senate this is odd and hypocritical. If the senate represents the state then it should be elected by the state not the general public. If the general public needs to elect people that nullifies the idea of a district. We're doing the opposite. Why not just create randomization so you have less jerry rigging and represent a broad range rather than just a sliver.
IMO, the US needs to make the Senate 5 years for a single 6 year period of time, and the house 3 years once. This would make every Senate and House reelection set apart from every POTUS election, as coattails IMO is a weakness in our system.

So the 2024 Senate races would end in 29, 26 would end in 31, 28 would end in 33, the 24 House would end in 27, 26 races in 29,28 races in 31. Every that rest new Senate terms to 6 years, new House terms to 2. All would end in odd number years.

No overlap with a POTUS race. Sink or swim on individual merits.

In Ct, do the same with the governor, Set the term 1 year longer once so the legislature runs alone.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:25 AM

35,301 posts, read 57,495,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It’s incredibly hypocritical of Democratic politicians to put their blindfolds on when HRC makes a bogus election stealing claim, and continuously scream about Trump. That’s what’s sad (or maybe laughable, I haven’t decided).
No, what’s incredibly hypocritical is supporting someone who started lying about the election being stolen months before the election and continuing to make the baseless claim 2 years afterwards. Republicans are deflecting from this. Who cares that Hilary didn’t concede until the next day. The fact is she conceded right after the election which Trump failed to do. Jay

Old 10-28-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It was sad watching Clinton violate our wonderful transition of classy, Election Night concession speeches.

Gore 2000 had an excuse as no network made an absolute Election Night call.

Every network validated Clinton's defeat in the same wee hours Election Night as usual.
Let’s put this in perspective. There is no rule of election night concession. Hilary won the popular vote. She wanted to wait until the swing states were further along in completing their counts. NOTHING wrong with that.

Where’s your disdain for Trumps continued lies about the election? You can’t get anything less “classy” than that. That’s the problem with politics these days. People conveniently overlook their party’s failures and hypocrisy. That’s why both parties are so bad. What’s good for the goose should be good for the gander. Jay

Old 10-28-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
IMO, the US needs to make the Senate 5 years for a single 6 year period of time, and the house 3 years once. This would make every Senate and House reelection set apart from every POTUS election, as coattails IMO is a weakness in our system.

So the 2024 Senate races would end in 29, 26 would end in 31, 28 would end in 33, the 24 House would end in 27, 26 races in 29,28 races in 31. Every that rest new Senate terms to 6 years, new House terms to 2. All would end in odd number years.

No overlap with a POTUS race. Sink or swim on individual merits.

In Ct, do the same with the governor, Set the term 1 year longer once so the legislature runs alone.
Interesting proposal. Are you saying they should only be allowed to serve one term? I’m not sure that makes sense but I do agree there should be term limits. Just not one though. Maybe two or three. Certainly no more than four. Jay

Old 10-28-2022, 10:47 AM

772 posts, read 569,129 times
Quote:
This is so blindly hypocritical as to be laughable knowing that Trump has never in fact conceded and is continuing to attempt a coup to unlawfully claim the office he lost. No serious person would post this.

Old 10-28-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Let’s put this in perspective. There is no rule of election night concession.
It was followed up until 2012 perfectly. It is an American tradition, recognizing the rightful winner, done within half an hour of the network call of the election. It's meant to unify the nation. All networks called shortly after midnight in 2016.

I'm no fan of either Schmidt or Palin, but applaud him 100% here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKv8hjMMxo8&t=51s

Old 10-28-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
This is so blindly hypocritical as to be laughable knowing that Trump has never in fact conceded and is continuing to attempt a coup to unlawfully claim the office he lost. No serious person would post this.
I am ashamed he has done so. I am also ashamed of how Clinton handled election night 2016. She set women running for POTUS back decades.

Clinton set it in motion with her post 2016 collusion challenges. Recognize that liberals.

I hope, but am pessimistic we will see the class of the 2012 McCain concession again, particularly pessimistic a Democrat would concede that promptly, with that much class.

Old 10-28-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Interesting proposal. Are you saying they should only be allowed to serve one term? I’m not sure that makes sense but I do agree there should be term limits. Just not one though. Maybe two or three. Certainly no more than four. Jay
No, I am saying a term should be modified so they run in odd, off years (by extending one term one year)..never on a coattail of a POTUS nor governor.

I am against the idea of POTUS year elections for Congress and the Senate. In Ct also I'd like to see Lamont running as the only election in 2022, the legislature in 2023. Same lack of coattails is my wish, as many are lazy just automatically doing the party line voting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut