Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2024, 06:50 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,373,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Please no more!
About all the rain.

I believe it. I border Bridgeport. My husband said a few days ago "I feel like we live in Seattle". I was thinking this has to be a lot more rain in our area than normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2024, 07:48 AM

1,019 posts, read 343,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
About all the rain.

I believe it. I border Bridgeport. My husband said a few days ago "I feel like we live in Seattle". I was thinking this has to be a lot more rain in our area than normal.
Not only is it the rain...but I think way more it's been the cloudy skies. Most of the big rains were in Feb and March. In the last 7 days, places like NWS Bridgeport/Bradley only picked up 0.66 inches of rain. Yet, even on days with little or no rain the clouds have been hanging tough. I guess we shouldn't complain, we don't see the sun for a 3 days and it's tough, imagine that in the Pacific Northwest they often go 2- 3 weeks without seeing the sun.

Looks like we are about to enter another dry period however, at least until the middle of next week. By Tue, with the sun and strong high pressure, we should be nearing 70 F.

Attached Thumbnails
Connecticut Weather Discussion 4-twekl4.jpg  

Old 04-13-2024, 07:57 AM

992 posts, read 605,921 times
Quote:
Please no more!
What's craziest about this is how consistent precip is - if that dotted black line is the average, it seems like every day has (on average) equal precip regardless of season!

Old 04-13-2024, 10:11 AM

83,580 posts, read 75,545,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
What's craziest about this is how consistent precip is - if that dotted black line is the average, it seems like every day has (on average) equal precip regardless of season!
The dotted line IS the average but its smoothed out and stretched out over 30 yrs. What makes an average is obviously the extremes to some extent but it's hard to always get the "average".

Note the slight drop in the Fall. That's because the average for November is 3.11" where October is 3.84" and December average is 3.98"

February is kinda surprising. July is not

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
About all the rain.

Updated... We still have more rain than Seattle but number of days with precip is still less.

It's the difference between getting heavier rains vs consistent light rains/drizzle

Last edited by Cambium; 04-13-2024 at 10:55 AM..

Old 04-13-2024, 11:52 AM

Remember this post from last year? I should do one for this year. Seems like Spring has more below normal days than winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambium View Post
This is incredible!!

Number of days the max temp was below normal (BDR)

Jan: 3
Feb: 8
Mar: 11
Apr: 15
May: 15
June: 19! (As of 28th)

What the heck?

Old 04-13-2024, 01:45 PM

After a nice warm up next week, the last part of April looks to be on the cool side for the Eastern US.
It all evens out in the end. Long cycles. Short cycles. Warm. Cold. Always trying to find balance.

Old 04-13-2024, 03:09 PM

35,255 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
Please no more!
In 1972, if y rather poor memory serves, the beginning of the year through about June 15 were wet but not very wet. Apropos to Connecticut I remember my father driving back to Westchester from Providence in a downpour in May. The figures started levitating over average with the four-day lead-up to Hurricane Agnes and then Agnes. October and November also featured downpours. As for December 1972 I remember rainfall but nothing like what that graph shows. I am sure this year is not going to be another 1972, since a drying Niña is soon to be under way.

Old 04-13-2024, 03:41 PM

1,019 posts, read 343,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In 1972, if y rather poor memory serves, the beginning of the year through about June 15 were wet but not very wet. Apropos to Connecticut I remember my father driving back to Westchester from Providence in a downpour in May. The figures started levitating over average with the four-day lead-up to Hurricane Agnes and then Agnes. October and November also featured downpours. As for December 1972 I remember rainfall but nothing like what that graph shows. I am sure this year is not going to be another 1972, since a drying Niña is soon to be under way.
The CPC seems to be leaning that way too. They are forecasting below normal rainfall for the 2nd half of April. What's funny is it seems like the cloudy skies makes us think we have had more rain than we really have had: This April is really only half an inch or so above normal (2.35 in so far this month at NWS BDR). If the month ended today they would be below normal in rainfall for April.

Attached Thumbnails
Connecticut Weather Discussion 4-814rhty.jpg  

Last edited by simonusa3; 04-13-2024 at 04:12 PM..

Old 04-13-2024, 04:32 PM

35,255 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
The CPC seems to be leaning that way too. They are forecasting below normal rainfall for the 2nd half of April. What's funny is it seems like the cloudy skies makes us think we have had more rain than we really have had: This April is really only half an inch or so above normal (2.35 in so far this month at NWS BDR). If the month ended today they would be below normal in rainfall for April.
I don’t quite buy that. In both 1973 and 1998, it took well beyond April for the wetness to become normal precipitation. 1988 and 2010, however, did dry out that early. El Niño does not always fade from atmospheric memory immediately after the Pacific cools.

Old 04-14-2024, 05:14 AM

I've grown to hate Spring in CT.

I mean its Mid April and I can't remember going 1-2 weeks with comfortable warm temperatures without any rain yet!

It's gonna be Mid May in a month and AC Humid season is not far off

Enjoy this week because..................

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut