Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2024, 07:18 AM

1,019 posts, read 343,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
^^^^^^^
Usually Central Park, and Connecticut, away from the shore, gets its first run at 80° during April. There is an occasional 90+ day, even a few heat waves with three days or more above 90, even up to 96° as in 1976 and 2002. 2009 had a less extreme heat wave, but there were no others until August. I do remember strolling with my fiancé, a month before our wedding, with my uncle, his wife and my parents on April 7, 1991, a 90° day. at that time that was a record. We broke that record by a day in 2010, where did hit 91°. Both 2010 and 1991 were torrid summers. In 1990 I remember it hitting 90° in late April and by calling my girlfriend, now wife to come down with the outdoors at Rio Grande in New York City. More usually, May marks the first stab at 90+.

For some reason, there are a bunch of record highs around 96° in mid April, a pattern that does not recur until the latter half of May. I assume the reason is with the absence of vegetation, the sun can bake the unprotected ground. This year, leftover water from the excessive rainfall will probably us from hitting 90° plus until sometime in May or June.
Quite true. April usually has those days every few years of upper 80's to mid 90's F, then we don't see that kind of heat until late May. On the other hand , who knows what's ahead. lol. The absence of vegetation in early/mid April is actually becoming more of an issue in reach years at least from what I've read. I'm sure at least part of it is he sun is baking the unprotected ground. Some years (though I doubt this year - lol) the ground starts to dry out fast in April and early May and they have issues with brush fires.

Another thing is April 6th is the mean last date of freeze for NWS Bridgeport/coastal CT (and I would guess NYC area as well). Will be interesting to see if it falls to 32 F or below in the coming weeks in these locations. As of now, after tonight (mid 30's F) no 30's F are forecast again out to the 10 day forecast for coastal CT. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Attached Thumbnails
Connecticut Weather Discussion 4-bthw.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 10:51 AM

35,260 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
Quite true. April usually has those days every few years of upper 80's to mid 90's F, then we don't see that kind of heat until late May. On the other hand , who knows what's ahead. lol. The absence of vegetation in early/mid April is actually becoming more of an issue in reach years at least from what I've read. I'm sure at least part of it is he sun is baking the unprotected ground. Some years (though I doubt this year - lol) the ground starts to dry out fast in April and early May and they have issues with brush fires.

Another thing is April 6th is the mean last date of freeze for NWS Bridgeport/coastal CT (and I would guess NYC area as well). Will be interesting to see if it falls to 32 F or below in the coming weeks in these locations. As of now, after tonight (mid 30's F) no 30's F are forecast again out to the 10 day forecast for coastal CT. Will be interesting to see what happens.
this year, we are going to be early on the leaf out. I see buds on lots of trees on the parkway, and flowers on the dogwood tree. This year will therefore not be a year of early sun baking of unvegetated ground. Certain years with very strong meteorological heat patterns during the summer did not crack 100° because of extreme winter and/or spring wetness. Those years, if I recall correctly, included 1973, 1983, 1987 and 1988. by contrast, years following dry winters did crack 100°. Those included 1966, 1977, 2001 and 1980. 2010 did buck that pattern being a sub that cracked 100° a few times, and followed a relatively wet winter.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
this year, we are going to be early on the leaf out. I see buds on lots of trees on the parkway, and flowers on the dogwood tree. This year will therefore not be a year of early sun baking of unvegetated ground. Certain years with very strong meteorological heat patterns during the summer did not crack 100° because of extreme winter and/or spring wetness. Those years, if I recall correctly, included 1973, 1983, 1987 and 1988. by contrast, years following dry winters did crack 100°. Those included 1966, 1977, 2001 and 1980. 2010 did buck that pattern being a sub that cracked 100° a few times, and followed a relatively wet winter.
I did notice lots of buds on trees/shrubs as well in New Haven/shoreline area as well. Also, that sun is strong this time of year, I think if the rains let up even a little, it will dry the ground quick, esp in exposed areas. As far as temps of 100F and when/if they occur, I always thought that it was a bit artificial (like say temps below 5 F), it happens so infrequently, that I don't think it means that much in the overall pattern. Also, lets face it, on a typical hot summer day in the Tri-State area, if it's 92 F with a dew point of 72, does it really matter that it never hit 100 F. I think a count of days above 85 F is more meaningful.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:22 AM

Temps rising fast with full sun now...already into the 50's F in many spots:

Looks like NWS updated their forecast highs from low...to mid/upper 60's F today.

Attached Thumbnails
Connecticut Weather Discussion 4-482.jpg   Connecticut Weather Discussion 4-481.jpg  

Old 04-08-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I did notice lots of buds on trees/shrubs as well in New Haven/shoreline area as well. Also, that sun is strong this time of year, I think if the rains let up even a little, it will dry the ground quick, esp in exposed areas. As far as temps of 100F and when/if they occur, I always thought that it was a bit artificial (like say temps below 5 F), it happens so infrequently, that I don't think it means that much in the overall pattern. Also, lets face it, on a typical hot summer day in the Tri-State area, if it's 92 F with a dew point of 72, does it really matter that it never hit 100 F. I think a count of days above 85 F is more meaningful.
In general I think you're right, but it take a long time to dry the accumulated precipitation over the last few months. Because they are round numbers days over 90° and 100° are the most often cited. To get over 100° it takes an almost perfect combination of conditions.

Old 04-08-2024, 12:49 PM

711 posts, read 406,021 times
I don't want this eclipse to take my sunshine away. We don't get it very often lol.

Old 04-08-2024, 03:54 PM

83,581 posts, read 75,545,909 times
Satellite Loop Eclipse 2024.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:37 AM

Quote:
In general I think you're right, but it take a long time to dry the accumulated precipitation over the last few months. Because they are round numbers days over 90° and 100° are the most often cited. To get over 100° it takes an almost perfect combination of conditions.
No doubt 100 F days are rare, not only in the Tri-State area, but in much of the USA outside the southwestern deserts. Even Florida has few 100 F days.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:41 AM

Yesterday's temp roundup around the Tri-State area. Bridgeport hit 59 F...New Haven 61 F...Central Park 69 F...and Bradley 71 F.

Most stations should get into the 70's F today. Early June weather in late April
Attached Thumbnails
Connecticut Weather Discussion 4-48yt.jpg  

Old 04-09-2024, 07:32 AM

Quote:
No doubt 100 F days are rare, not only in the Tri-State area, but in much of the USA outside the southwestern deserts. Even Florida has few 100 F days.
Actually the interior South, such as Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia etc. has a few each summer. To my mind they are the "gold standard" for a brutal CT or NY summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut