Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2024, 03:00 PM

11,334 posts, read 18,962,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
Although still below normal for the season like most of the Tri-State and middle Atlantic region - NWS Bridgeport picked up some ground today with 7 inches of snowfall. The deficit is now 7.3 inches:

By the way they did fix it on the morning climate update from 7.3 inches of snow to 7.6 inches that fell as I noted yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 03:36 PM

1,039 posts, read 353,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
By the way they did fix it on the morning climate update from 7.3 inches of snow to 7.6 inches that fell as I noted yesterday.
Yes…I saw that too. Glad NWS is updating it’s info.

It will be interesting to see if area NWS stations can make up the deficit, before the start of March (the start of meteorological spring). Average temps are now rising, so it gets tougher each day. The normal high rises every 4 days or so. Today the average high at Bridgeport is 40 F…but it’s 42 F by this coming Wed (44 F by the end of the month). So, the clock is ticking. There appears to be no below normal cold as we near the end of the month.

After Saturday, ensembles and deterministic models suggest surface high pressure will dominate over the eastern CONUS through much of the long term. So we should expect dry and storm free weather much of next week.

It should be an interesting run up to the final days of meteorological winter 2023/2024.

Attached Thumbnails
Connecticut Weather Discussion 4-6010214.jpg  

Old 02-14-2024, 05:15 PM

11,334 posts, read 18,962,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
Yes…I saw that too. Glad NWS is updating it’s info.

It will be interesting to see if area NWS stations can make up the deficit, before the start of March (the start of meteorological spring). Average temps are now rising, so it gets tougher each day. The normal high rises every 4 days or so. Today the average high at Bridgeport is 40 F…but it’s 42 F by this coming Wed (44 F by the end of the month). So, the clock is ticking. There appears to be no below normal cold as we near the end of the month.

After Saturday, ensembles and deterministic models suggest surface high pressure will dominate over the eastern CONUS through much of the long term. So we should expect dry and storm free weather much of next week.

It should be an interesting run up to the final days of meteorological winter 2023/2024.

An interesting record (actually records) few know about that might happen.

This February may be the one with the highest "lowest temperature of the month" in any February. In Central Park, the record is way back in 1927, when the coldest low temp that February was 22 degrees. In fact the only other February in Central Park to not have at least one night with a low in the teens or lower is 2012, when the lowest temperature for the month was 20 degrees (several years have had their lowest temperature in February be 19, as far back as 1897).

BDR (records go back less far, to 1948) has NEVER had a February without at least one night with a low in the teens or below, their "record" is 2012 when the lowest temperature for the month of February was 18.

It is interesting as January averages colder than February, but there have been several years at NYC that never had a night in January get down into the teens or lower (BDR has only had 2 such Januaries, 1990 and 2023, but NYC has had them in 1932, 1937, 1949, 1953, 1990, 1993, 2002, 2020 and 2023).

Currently, NYC has not gotten lower than 29 this month (though that should change tonight), and BDR not lower than 27 (again that should change tonight), but I don't believe the long range out to Leap Day shows a low of 22 or below in NYC nor a low below 20 in BDR.

Another similar record that might break at both locations is for the highest "lowest high temperature during February". In NYC the record is 2002, whose lowest high temp in February was 33. At BDR it's even higher, in February, 2012, the lowest high temperature during the month was 34. Today was the first day all month that there was a high under 40 in Central Park (38, occurred at midnight), BDR's high today was 36, the coldest high all month. I'm not as confident about this being tied or broken, but long range doesn't seem to have any highs below the mid 30s the rest of the month.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 02-14-2024 at 05:26 PM..

Old 02-15-2024, 06:06 AM

83,626 posts, read 75,686,410 times
Temp departures past 7 days...

Those 50s & 60s really boosted the departures but nobody would of suspected a snowstorm with these departures. +8-16 across the Northeast.

Next time you see a "red" map...remember, we can still get snowstorms and cold shots within

Old 02-15-2024, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
An interesting record (actually records) few know about that might happen.

This February may be the one with the highest "lowest temperature of the month" in any February. In Central Park, the record is way back in 1927, when the coldest low temp that February was 22 degrees. In fact the only other February in Central Park to not have at least one night with a low in the teens or lower is 2012, when the lowest temperature for the month was 20 degrees (several years have had their lowest temperature in February be 19, as far back as 1897).

BDR (records go back less far, to 1948) has NEVER had a February without at least one night with a low in the teens or below, their "record" is 2012 when the lowest temperature for the month of February was 18.

It is interesting as January averages colder than February, but there have been several years at NYC that never had a night in January get down into the teens or lower (BDR has only had 2 such Januaries, 1990 and 2023, but NYC has had them in 1932, 1937, 1949, 1953, 1990, 1993, 2002, 2020 and 2023).

Currently, NYC has not gotten lower than 29 this month (though that should change tonight), and BDR not lower than 27 (again that should change tonight), but I don't believe the long range out to Leap Day shows a low of 22 or below in NYC nor a low below 20 in BDR.

Another similar record that might break at both locations is for the highest "lowest high temperature during February". In NYC the record is 2002, whose lowest high temp in February was 33. At BDR it's even higher, in February, 2012, the lowest high temperature during the month was 34. Today was the first day all month that there was a high under 40 in Central Park (38, occurred at midnight), BDR's high today was 36, the coldest high all month. I'm not as confident about this being tied or broken, but long range doesn't seem to have any highs below the mid 30s the rest of the month.

I haven't really been following Central Park…did not know they have had such a mild month in terms of highest "lowest temperature of the month" in any February. I know up and down the East Coast winter 2023/2024 has been pretty mild, a few brief cold shots, and little snow, so not surprised. Of course, I’m sure the massive urban heat island NYC has helps with that.

Looking at NWS Bridgeport…I don’t know how this Feb stacks up to past years, but the normal Feb low of 25 F …has not occurred on a single night until last night . lol. Only two days the high was normal or below. Crazy, but they are running 6.2 F above normal !. I don’t know about Bradley, but last I looked they were 9 F above normal!. So we really have had a pretty nice Feb temp wise. No way Feb 2024 ends below or normal locally. After Sat, a warming trend and above normal temps should carry us until the final days of the month

After Sat, we look to get really dry with little weather activity out until the final days of the month. So it will be interesting to see how we end winter (March 21st)..most areas are still well below normal in snowfall and well above normal in 3 month winter temps. However, Feb 2024 is sealed in the Tri-State area – above normal for everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Connecticut Weather Discussion 4-brid215.jpg  

Last edited by simonusa3; 02-15-2024 at 07:03 AM..

Old 02-15-2024, 03:45 PM

Tonight

Old 02-16-2024, 04:43 AM

2,711 posts, read 3,401,633 times
We did have some very light flurries, not even a dusting on the ground though

Old 02-16-2024, 05:59 AM

6,327 posts, read 5,192,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Tonight
NWS Upton embarrassing us all by putting out a "snowfall" forecast for <2" again?! Have we become a region of weather wimps?

Old 02-16-2024, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
We did have some very light flurries, not even a dusting on the ground though

Same here along the central Connecticut coast. I saw some flurries last night, but this morning nothing is on the ground.

Going forward, we should see sunny skies today, and temps should climb into the lower 40's F for most areas except maybe the NW hills. Those wanting to take pictures of the snow should do it before Sunday ...because it may be totally gone by next week at this time (even across northern/central CT were it was heaviest). Sprawling high pressure dominates starting Monday...with temps beginning to moderate a little each day. By mid week, the High gradually shifts offshore near North Carolina and weakens some, but still maintains enough dominance to keep dry weather through at least Friday. Highs should get into the middle 40's F. Next system may arrive Sat next week, but at this point it is likely rain.

Although down on the coast here we only had about 4 inches, I'm already losing my snowcover, and with the sunny skies and highs into the low 40'sF...it may be gone by the end of today. I took this pic this morning, my snow cover is just hanging on:

Attached Thumbnails
Connecticut Weather Discussion 4-20240216_082755.jpg   Connecticut Weather Discussion 4-snow444.jpg  

Old 02-16-2024, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
NWS Upton embarrassing us all by putting out a "snowfall" forecast for <2" again?! Have we become a region of weather wimps?
Missing us to the south. Imagine it shifts north a little? Then Fairfield county will be in the 2-3" range

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut