Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 04:42 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
What amazes me is that people stop to chat while walking their dogs. Their poor pads! I have one dog who yelps walking across my deck to get to the back door.
Thank you! I know...and this is what I mean about "clueless" people out there... Either I dont go walking and just let her run in backyard...OR...take very short walks look for shade spots and make sure she uses the grass long the way....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 04:44 AM

Aside from my garden flourishing this year...I'm on the edge with this heat....I'm actually gaining weight because I'm not as active outside. I wanted to rake a little and I swear 2 swoops with the rake and I started sweating.

P.S - I been saying this for 4 weeks now...ALL SUMMER!!! Another 6 weeks of this.(above 85) Sorry. We might get a few days with low 80's but unlike last summer with highs in the 60's and 70's...we wont see that till September.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:46 AM

Was watching the marching of storms last night...Had 5 different Cells come through lower Fairfield. but weakened after Westchester and Strengthened over LI sound. So Fairfield didnt get as much damage as other spots before and after us.

Clear for today and tomorrow more of same.. Saturday should hit 100 in some spots.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:11 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Was watching the marching of storms last night...Had 5 different Cells come through lower Fairfield. but weakened after Westchester and Strengthened over LI sound. So Fairfield didnt get as much damage as other spots before and after us.
Maybe not as bad as some areas, but some parts of Stamford and New Canaan still got hit pretty hard. We have some friends who had several trees down, including one on their house.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:32 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
P.S - I been saying this for 4 weeks now...ALL SUMMER!!! Another 6 weeks of this.(above 85) Sorry. We might get a few days with low 80's but unlike last summer with highs in the 60's and 70's...we wont see that till September.
Normally, hot East Coast summers…are followed by warm East Coast falls. There is no guarantee of this, but the players seem to be lining up that way. The biggest reason for this is warm Atlantic Ocean sea surface temps (sst). The current long hot summer has sent sst from Virginia to Rhode Island soaring. Right now, locations off the East Coast have sst in the 24 C to 27 C (75 to 81 F)…while there are pockets as far north as Virginia Beach with 29 C sst (about 84.5 F). Parts of the south Atlantic off the Bahamas are now reporting 90 F sst. I have seen 26.5 C (80 F) waters reach the very tip of southern New Jersey around Cape May…in late August- but never in mid July! It looks like the south shore of Long Island (currently at 25.5/26 C) has a shot at 26.5 C (80 F) sometime in August. I don't think I have ever seen 80 F sst at the beachs on Long Island, NY. Ever.

It’s going to take a long, long, time for the Atlantic to cool down. I would bet we are looking at a very warm October/November on the East Coast this year, especially south of Boston. I think the biggest difference will be the fall nights in October/November…the Atlantic won’t allow really cool nights until late November this year, I would think. I guess we’ll see.

The Atlantic off NYC (26 C – 79 F) right now is slightly WARMER…than the Pacific off Honolulu (25 C) – lol:

Old 07-22-2010, 05:38 AM

Well thats great if it stays "warm"..not hot, until October...an extra month for my tomatoes to ripen. I also see La Nina developing.. Whether its weak or Neutral I'm betting on little snow this winter but lots of sub freezing temps.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:00 AM

I saw all the stories on ABC News this weekend about the torrid East Coast summer that has everyone talking. Many people seem stunned that the East Coast can generate this type of deep tropical weather (hot temps/high dew points/high heat indexes)…in such an unrelenting fashion. However, most of the younger folks were not around for the torrid East Coast summers of the 1950’s…and might not have ever heard the stories of the long hot summers of the 1930’s. The summer of 1955 was as hot from Washington DC to Hartford…as it was in North Africa that year. Despite all the heat this summer...the hot summers of 1999, 1980, ...etc...the summer of 1955 is still by far the hottest summer ever in the Middle Atlantic/Tri-State area when you look at the whole picture (ave overnight lows/non-stop 90's...etc).

That is one of the distinguishing features of Koppen’s east side C climates ( lower middle latitude climates on East Coasts) – is that they can generate intense, sustained tropical heat when the flow is from the south/west. When these conditions are right here in the far Eastern USA, the Bermuda High can send monthly mean temps across the region to levels rivaling the deep tropics. The monthly mean temp (high/low ave) this July at the official NWS site in NYC (Central Park) stands at 82.0 F…and at NWS Bridgeport, Connecticut 79.0 F…..this is about the same mean temperature as the hottest month in a place like Jakarta, Indonesia….in deep tropical Southeast Asia.

JAKARTA HALIM PERDA, INDONESIA Weather History and Climate Data

NO wonder my bamboo seems to be doing so good – lol.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:56 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I saw all the stories on ABC News this weekend about the torrid East Coast summer that has everyone talking. Many people seem stunned that the East Coast can generate this type of deep tropical weather (hot temps/high dew points/high heat indexes)…in such an unrelenting fashion. However, most of the younger folks were not around for the torrid East Coast summers of the 1950’s…and might not have ever heard the stories of the long hot summers of the 1930’s. The summer of 1955 was as hot from Washington DC to Hartford…as it was in North Africa that year. Despite all the heat this summer...the hot summers of 1999, 1980, ...etc...the summer of 1955 is still by far the hottest summer ever in the Middle Atlantic/Tri-State area when you look at the whole picture (ave overnight lows/non-stop 90's...etc).

That is one of the distinguishing features of Koppen’s east side C climates ( lower middle latitude climates on East Coasts) – is that they can generate intense, sustained tropical heat when the flow is from the south/west. When these conditions are right here in the far Eastern USA, the Bermuda High can send monthly mean temps across the region to levels rivaling the deep tropics. The monthly mean temp (high/low ave) this July at the official NWS site in NYC (Central Park) stands at 82.0 F…and at NWS Bridgeport, Connecticut 79.0 F…..this is about the same mean temperature as the hottest month in a place like Jakarta, Indonesia….in deep tropical Southeast Asia.

JAKARTA HALIM PERDA, INDONESIA Weather History and Climate Data

NO wonder my bamboo seems to be doing so good – lol.
I always wondered if there's some sort of 11 year pattern to this:

11 years ago (1999) - Many of the records that could be broken this July occurred that year

11 years before that (1988) - Famous hot summer throughout the east coast.....was the first time James Hansen mentions "global warming" theory to the press, etc.

11 years before that (1977) - NYC blackout and 104-deg in Central Park, still the 2nd hottest temperature there ever (hottest was 106 in 1936.....warmest this July was 103)

11 years before that (1966) - Local (NYC) news notes that warmest average high temperature ever occurred in July 1966 (it's going to be close, but this will definitely be one of only three months ever to average 90+ degrees as a high (July 1999 averaged it as well). LaGuardia Airport recorded 107 degrees on July 3, 1966.

11 years before that (1955) - As noted above by the quote I'm quoting

I don't know much before that, but I've read that 1944, 1911 and 1900 were also very hot summers. In fact 1911 may be the hottest ever in the "inland Northeast", it was unusual in that upstate NY and northern/central New England baked more than the coast, Albany NY's all time temperature of 104 occurred then and I believe the 102 in Hartford this month that tied it's all time high, one of the many other times it occurred was in 1911.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I always wondered if there's some sort of 11 year pattern to this:

11 years ago (1999) - Many of the records that could be broken this July occurred that year

11 years before that (1988) - Famous hot summer throughout the east coast.....was the first time James Hansen mentions "global warming" theory to the press, etc.

11 years before that (1977) - NYC blackout and 104-deg in Central Park, still the 2nd hottest temperature there ever (hottest was 106 in 1936.....warmest this July was 103)

11 years before that (1966) - Local (NYC) news notes that warmest average high temperature ever occurred in July 1966 (it's going to be close, but this will definitely be one of only three months ever to average 90+ degrees as a high (July 1999 averaged it as well). LaGuardia Airport recorded 107 degrees on July 3, 1966.

11 years before that (1955) - As noted above by the quote I'm quoting

I don't know much before that, but I've read that 1944, 1911 and 1900 were also very hot summers. In fact 1911 may be the hottest ever in the "inland Northeast", it was unusual in that upstate NY and northern/central New England baked more than the coast, Albany NY's all time temperature of 104 occurred then and I believe the 102 in Hartford this month that tied it's all time high, one of the many other times it occurred was in 1911.
Wow. I never really noticed that pattern before. I remember the blackouts in 1977 and the looting in NYC.

From what I have read…over the last 100 years, two decades in the eastern USA stand out as the coldest – the 1960’s and 1970’s…and two decades stand out as the warmest – the 1930’s and 1950’s. Since the 1950’s…the 1990’s has been the warmest decade in the eastern USA. From 2000 to 2010…there has been an equal number of above/below years in the eastern USA from what I have read. However, 2010 is lining up to be the warmest year in the USA since records were kept. I have not looked at many NWS stations north of CT/NYC…but from CT/NYC southward through North Carolina…this year has had mean temps above normal every single month since March. Lets hope that changes soon. I kind of like the worlds climate the way it is - lol.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:19 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
but from CT/NYC southward through North Carolina…this year has had mean temps above normal every single month since March. Lets hope that changes soon. I kind of like the worlds climate the way it is - lol.
If you go to the NYC (OKX) National Weather Service website and look up the section that shows the top 10 warmest by month (i.e. top 10 Marches, top 10 Aprils, etc.), you'll see that every month since March (including March) this made the top 10 somewhere for warmest avg. temperate. This month will probably be either #1 (which would make it ALL-TIME for any month as well) or #2 (how cool it gets Friday and Saturday will determine).

Astonishing when you consider the first few days of July were actually BELOW normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut