Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:17 PM

5,140 posts, read 4,500,429 times

Advertisements

Wow. Just wow.

I hope they throw the book at that monster. Let's see how tough she is in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 03:36 PM

820 posts, read 1,211,186 times
I dont think you guys understand its Salem, NJ. The cops would not show up right away, also who would of called them the attackers crew? Most likely they were carrying weight. Which would result in a drug arrest taking focus away from the hurt woman. This is not your typical white suburb town. Its mini Camden, the only thing that can save you is a gun permit, end of discussion.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:21 PM

78,682 posts, read 60,878,962 times
When keepin it real goes wrong. /Chapelle

Seriously though I hope the lady is ok, but she's going to get a 6-figure check from McD's so at least she'll get compensation instead of just getting jumped by the crazy lady on the street or whatnot.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:25 PM

78,682 posts, read 60,878,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I'm really sorry I clicked on one of the articles.

Other headlines and stories that showed up:

LI Man drives teenage daughter to fistfight.

GA father leaves toddler in hot car after researching online how long it takes for a child to die in hot car.

Anyone who says society isn't going downhill has their head in the sand.
All these things have happened in the past.

You just now have more people in just California now than you used to have in the whole US.

Throw in immediate internet connectivity and the most sensational stories rising to the top?

You get a nice big helping of perception bias.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:42 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,785,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
Anybody else see this story?

In NJ a 28 year old mother and her 2 year old son went to Mcdonalds and she got him a kids meal. Before leaving she realized she never got a toy and asked the manager for one. Apparently the manager then scolded the employee (Latia Harris, 25) for incorrectly doing her job. The employee then ran outside and jumped the mother while her son was right next to her. A bunch of others stood around doing nothing but screaming "oh hhh!" And filming to on their phones. The two year old tries helping his mom by screaming at the other woman then kicking her to go away when his mom was on the ground and the woman was kicking her head.

This has to be the most heartbreaking thing. How is it nobody helped? A two year old has more guts and morality than anyone else there.

Salem Police seek woman in brutal beating
NJ woman beaten in front of her 2-year-old as bystanders record the attack | PIX 11
Caught on Video: Woman Beats Mother in Front of 2-Year-Old Son - The Root
McDonald's Worker Who Beat Victim In Front Of Her Toddler Is Also A Mother Of Small Children | The Smoking Gun
If every law-abiding citizen in the area were armed, this would not have been a problem. People will be far more likely to restrain themselves if they believe that failure to restrain themselves will result in them getting shot.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,688,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
All these things have happened in the past.

You just now have more people in just California now than you used to have in the whole US.

Throw in immediate internet connectivity and the most sensational stories rising to the top?

You get a nice big helping of perception bias.
Not quite true.

I don't remember girls getting into vicious fistfights like boys do, others standing around filming it, and the parents encouraging to them to go at it.

I can remember when parents or another adult would step in and break it up, not egging it on.

Or people standing around filming people being attacked or having heart attacks(happened in Nevada) and doing nothing to help.

We have seen a shift, and not a good one.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:29 PM

30,418 posts, read 52,048,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Police released a new picture of her and she looks very different. It makes me wonder why some of these people choose to wear sheets on their heads for drivers license ID photos.
Sheets?? You mean religious head coverings?

She deserves to pay for what she did, mind you, but your comment doesn't really help our (Americans) reputation for being ignorant to non-Christian cultures.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-28-2014 at 06:48 PM..

Old 06-28-2014, 06:31 PM

30,418 posts, read 52,048,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWingDesigns View Post
I simply want to know why is she not charged with a hate crime?
Because the motivation wasn't (apparently) related to her race/religion/etc? Last time I checked, "Happy Meal complaining customer" wasn't an official demographic.

Sheesh, at least learn the definition of "hate crime" before trying to bring up a whole other debate...

Old 06-28-2014, 06:33 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,590,839 times
It doesn't take much for some people to snap these days. All that over a happy meal toy? Really?

Old 06-28-2014, 09:42 PM

513 posts, read 801,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
If every law-abiding citizen in the area were armed, this would not have been a problem. People will be far more likely to restrain themselves if they believe that failure to restrain themselves will result in them getting shot.
Well look at the guy right around there (in Philly). Law abiding citizen with a permit to carry. He had been harassed by cops before so started carrying a tape recorder. The next time he was stopped was with guns drawn, threats of "I'm going to shoot you", all the while the man complied politely and just stated he had a permit to carry. They keep saying "BS" something like "you still can't carry a gun" what? so he is arrested, made to sit around for hours, finally some higher up said it was in fact legal. They begrudgingly released him. He then posts in in YouTube. DA asks him to take it down, he says no, cops should know the law and not harass honest citizens engaged in LEGAL activity. DA then says "fine, I'm charging you with disorderly conduct and reckless endangerment. He went to trial and was acquitted. Then got a $25,000 settlement from the city for wrongful prosecution. One time I was happy someone sued. It was well deserved.

Philly Police Harass, Threaten to Shoot Man Legally Carrying Gun | Stossel's Take Blog | Stossel | Fox Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, of course. I was just saying, stress or some kind of history of abuse caused her to snap. Obviously, she wasn't behaving rationally. As I said before, I was just looking for an explanation for the behavior, not a justification for it.
Nothing excuses this behavior. I have had stress (almost dying bc of a drunk driver), been a victim of domestic violence and abuse, and It would NEVER even cross my mind to physically assault someone period let alone over "rumors". Because of person uses it as an excuse doesn't mean its legit, most times its BS they use for sympathy so they will get off easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events