Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 03:11 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
How about someone try it out on you and see how you and see how you like it.
Sounds like a pretty big deterrent when used the right way.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:15 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I've seen women carrying switches through the supermarket with 5 kids and a good switch in hand. The kids all behaved wonderfully and the switch was never used. It was like insurance. I think switches have been used since the beginning of time. And if you're going to use it, make it hurt! But for heaven's sake, you don't have to draw blood or leave bruises. A quick swat that might sting a little is all that's needed. I realize that sounds brutal but oh well. It's a different style of discipline and many kids have grown to be well disciplined people because of it. I don't think using a switch is a big deal. But that guy has no business using it, seems like.

The 2yr old son's death is tragic and has no bearing on this current event, imo.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:13 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,994 times
You would think that a professional football player would understand the concepts of a timeout and un-necessary roughness. One is a penalty, the other is not.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:05 PM

42 posts, read 55,912 times
Belts, hangers (plastic or metal), extension cords (most popular), switches were all fair game growing up. Now me and my siblings weren't 4 but we were still under 18. That was pretty normal with my friends too. I remember being suspended in middle school and me and my friend talked about the whooping that was waiting on us.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:11 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calixprynce View Post
Belts, hangers (plastic or metal), extension cords (most popular), switches were all fair game growing up. Now me and my siblings weren't 4 but we were still under 18. That was pretty normal with my friends too. I remember being suspended in middle school and me and my friend talked about the whooping that was waiting on us.
Good thing DCFS didn't find out.

Or maybe that isn't a good thing.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Good thing DCFS didn't find out.

Or maybe that isn't a good thing.
Well DCFS got a MAJOR problem on their hands. Although I think the new generation of parents (2008- ) rather SPOIL their kids and I dont see them getting the same treatment my generation(Millennial) got.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:04 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Sounds like a pretty big deterrent when used the right way.
And what is "the right way?" How far do we go to get to "the right way?"

When it leaves bloody bruises all over your body?

When it breaks a few teeth?

When it leaves you with permanent disfigurement?

It is also theoretically a "deterrent" if you take a bowie knife and carve a nice scar in the person's face from eye to ear. So long as it achieves the deterring effect, how far do you want to go with this?

You would really do well to step back and reflect on what you're defending here.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:07 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calixprynce View Post
That is horrible. I hope you now recognize that this is not loving behavior and that there are ways to discipline and even spank children without using objects and leaving bruises and wounds on a child.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
That is horrible. I hope you now recognize that this is not loving behavior and that there are ways to discipline and even spank children without using objects and leaving bruises and wounds on a child.
Oh trust me, I know now. I remember even running away from home my first time (about 13 hours) because me and my siblings were facing a whooping for another sibling's money being "stolen". Not lost, misplaced, dropped, etc. Just automatically considered "stolen". I ran away KNOWING we were innocent yet about to get the cord for it

Last edited by calixprynce; 09-15-2014 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: add

Old 09-15-2014, 12:59 AM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Spanking is one thing. Beating a four year-old with a tree branch until they have bloody welts days later is child abuse. It is that simple. And if they did that to you, they were wrong. And if you do that to your kids, you are wrong.
While you seem to approve of spanking as not being child abuse, others would have you thrown in jail for it. So just because you are not as radicalized as some, does not mean that your view of what is, and what is not appropriate is universal/correct.

Maybe the accounts of what you have heard or read are different than mine. I was given a switch, belt, paddle, etc. and it left marks. However I do not recall bleeding days later, if at all.
I never hit my kids out of anger. I'd bet they could remember each time and the reason for it, because it was so infrequent.
Heck as my son got older, he ask me to give him the belt rather than some other punishment I had planned. Instead I told him that the belt was only to be used for special screw ups, not routine things I might be taking away his phone for.

Quote:
So where do you draw the line? Do you like to beat your kids in the mouth until they spit out blood and teeth? Electric shock therapy? Take a wrench and beat them in the head until they stop moving?
Where do you come up with this stuff

Quote:
Look, most reasonable people can tell that if you're leaving marks of bodily damage on your kid, then you're going too far. Morons who shouldn't have had kids in the first place call that **** "parenting."
There are plenty of people who have no clue how to be parents, and that includes parents who have never once spanked their kids. Being too lenient, or being helicopter parents might well be more damaging to them in the long run, than being too much of a disciplinarian. Obviously parents should strike a balance between praise and discipline.

Quote:
I did, too. I was disciplined if I messed up, and I feared and respected my father. And he NEVER beat me with any objects, and he NEVER left me covered with bloody wounds.
Again, you make it sound as if the kid was whipped to the point of leaving scars. It sounds to me based on what I've read that Peterson went too far, but not to the point of child abuse. Then again I have not seen any pictures nor heard much beyond the kid had some welts from the switch. If I find out differently, I might be of a different mindset.

Quote:
I call that apples and oranges. Just because you're financially successful doesn't make you a good person or a decent parent. You can have a college degree and a job and still be a brutal child abuser.
Well how then does one measure such things
I am not going to use this forum to extol my virtues and that of my family beyond saying that money is not the prime factor I judge how well everyone has turned out. I am not all perfect by any means, but by most measuring sticks we turned out productive members of society.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events