Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 02:28 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Understood. But this incident not withstanding, what if the criminal is dangerous and possibly armed? Why is he running?
I believe that the standard is generally something like an officer is justified in using deadly force if he reasonably believes that his life or the life of someone else is in danger. If a suspect is armed, or truly goes for a cop's weapon, or otherwise leads a reasonable cop to believe someone is about to be killed or assaulted, deadly force is warranted.

Running away does not fulfill those requirements.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:29 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,239 times
People should demand that the other officer be charge as an accessory to murder. He stood and did nothing to stop it. If a court can convict the Atlanta teachers who went along with a system to change test scores, this cop needs to be fired and charged immediately. He is just a corrupt as the shooter.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:30 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
Now, look up how many officers are killed in the line of duty while preforming a traffic stop. I guarantee it's going to be a FAR greater number than the number of times things like this 3 year old video show that you posted.
We aren't idiots. There are good cops, and there are bad cops. This cop is a bad cop. We have him dead to rights, and defending him is what is stupid. The lengths some people are going to to find some justification for him is very telling. Walk away. Just walk away and leave him to us. Guaranteed, he will be treated better here by angry black people, than a black cop that shot a white perp in cold blood would be treated by angry white people.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:32 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
Cool, you were able to find a video where a bad cop does a bad thing. Please, do the research and find out how many traffic stops are made PER year, and then compare the number of these occurrences. And that's just traffic stops. If you could find data on every single police contact with civilians, it'd be an even smaller percentage of these bad apple cops that are off their rocker.

Now, look up how many officers are killed in the line of duty while preforming a traffic stop. I guarantee it's going to be a FAR greater number than the number of times things like this 3 year old video show that you posted.
That's not the issue here. The issue is what happened to Scott in S. Carolina. You said if he'd complied he'd be just fine. I was pointing out that it's certainly not always the case.

Look, I'm not a cop hater by any means. To the contrary, I respect the profession and believe that the vast majority of police officers are good people doing a difficult and dangerous job.

But to the blame for what happened to Scott at the feet of anyone but the cop is ridiculous. People are bending over backward to say if only Scott had done X,Y or Z he'd be fine when the truth is if only the cop hadn't shot Scott, he'd be fine.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:36 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
If ever there was an excuse for a warning shot, this was it. ....
Except anyone trained to use a gun knows not to do this. It will get you killed.

This only proves that you are not trained to use a gun.
  • You don't fire a gun to warn people
  • You don't fire a gun to disable people
  • You don't point a gun to scare people
  • You don't use a gun to prove manhood (or womanhood)
The ONLY reason to point and fire a weapon is because you intend to kill the party you are shooting at. Too many people who watch too much TV think otherwise and this is what gets them killed. And once you start shooting, you keep shooting until you know they are dead. Otherwise, they may pull a gun that you didn't know about and kill you instead.

Best to avoid it all together, but this is the way it's done.

It makes the rest of your argument pointless.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
You are as bad as Pete. Since when does one example of a positive, cancel dozens of negatives. And there were witnesses to the killing above. I imagine explaining how or why you shoot someone 12 times was too much for the officers colleagues so they turned State's Witnesses on him. You don't always need video, but it has been a helpful tool don't you think?
See my previous point to you. Furthermore you completely ignored the context in which this was given. Par for the course I guess. Claim was that system works only if there is video. Obviously the case in Charlotte proves that wrong.

Your fallacious statement about positives vs negatives is irrelevant to this.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:41 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Except anyone trained to use a gun knows not to do this. It will get you killed.

This only proves that you are not trained to use a gun.
  • You don't fire a gun to warn people
  • You don't fire a gun to disable people
  • You don't point a gun to scare people
  • You don't use a gun to prove manhood (or womanhood)
The ONLY reason to point and fire a weapon is because you intend to kill the party you are shooting at. Too many people who watch too much TV think otherwise and this is what gets them killed. And once you start shooting, you keep shooting until you know they are dead. Otherwise, they may pull a gun that you didn't know about and kill you instead.

Best to avoid it all together, but this is the way it's done.

It makes the rest of your argument pointless.
There are some people who simply do not have a conscience.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
,What I know is that when they stop black motorists, officers always run for outstanding warrants and that this is an optional step! We don't know if he got that far on Saturday.
You don't know this. You only assume this.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:47 PM
J24

448 posts, read 863,639 times
Quote:
We aren't idiots. There are good cops, and there are bad cops. This cop is a bad cop. We have him dead to rights, and defending him is what is stupid. The lengths some people are going to to find some justification for him is very telling. Walk away. Just walk away and leave him to us. Guaranteed, he will be treated better here by angry black people, than a black cop that shot a white perp in cold blood would be treated by angry white people.
I'm not sure if you're talking to me specifically or just in general, but since you quoted me... I'll respond. If you read any of my posts on this thread, you will see that I definitely am not defending this officer. I think he belongs in prison for killing that man.

I have an issue with people acting like this was an innocent, law abiding citizen who did nothing wrong. Again, that doesn't justify the officers actions. This can be applied to just about EVERY case in which there is an officer-involved shooting. Very rarely is the person shot an upstanding citizen who isn't trying to in some way fight the officer. The point I'm trying to make is, show respect and you'll get respect in return. Act like a jackass, and bad things are bound to happen.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I believe that the standard is generally something like an officer is justified in using deadly force if he reasonably believes that his life or the life of someone else is in danger. If a suspect is armed, or truly goes for a cop's weapon, or otherwise leads a reasonable cop to believe someone is about to be killed or assaulted, deadly force is warranted.

Running away does not fulfill those requirements.
Hmm. Not so fast. There was obviously an encounter (still unknown) that caused him to run in the first place. Until the details are known, then it's absolutely incorrect to say that it doesn't fulfill those requirements. There is, for example, a criminal who runs who has assaulted an officer who turns and attacks again. The officer is allowed to use deadly force to stop it before it happens.

On the other hand, I'm thinking the cop did wrong or otherwise the police force would not have been as quick to arrest him. But not for the reason you state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events