Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 05:56 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,044 times

Advertisements

Well then we should be offended by George Hamilton every damned day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 05:57 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
This happened in 2011, nearly four years ago during a Halloween party for her cooking show. It happened a full two years BEFORE she went through the scandal with her former restaurant employees accusing her of being a racist. This is NOT a NEW thing she just did last week.
The photo is not new, but it was just tweeted (and deleted). Lessons not learned.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:02 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
RR wasn't brown, he was more like medium beige.
Maybe he was Burnt Siena under the makeup? Or was that George Hamilton's color? Hmmm, Crayola crayons being mentioned has me thinking of old color palette they used....

Old 07-07-2015, 06:24 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Funny, minorities see racism everywhere and white people never see racism anywhere. The truth is, as is often the case, somewhere in the middle.

It's a shame that a speaker's (or actor's) intent never matters.

Mick

Old 07-07-2015, 06:25 PM

304 posts, read 324,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
The photo is not new, but it was just tweeted (and deleted). Lessons not learned.
In the context of a Halloween Show it at least makes some sense. Look I have no idea if she is truly a racist or just somebody who doesn't think things all the way through before doing things. The pic is old, yes it was re posted, as it probably has been dozens of times in various forms I'm sure over the years. She probably thinks it's cute and doesn't get that it is offensive. All of that though doesn't mean she is a racist, who believes that black people or Hispanics are inferior to her. Could Deen stand to attend a sensitivity training seminar, absolutely, but I just don't see this as being any different than Ted Danson dressing black face alongside Whoopi Goldberg decades ago at the Oscars. Everyone found it hilarious when Danson did it, including Whoopi, but yes it should be considered offensive by today's standards.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:10 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
In the context of a Halloween Show it at least makes some sense. Look I have no idea if she is truly a racist or just somebody who doesn't think things all the way through before doing things. The pic is old, yes it was re posted, as it probably has been dozens of times in various forms I'm sure over the years. She probably thinks it's cute and doesn't get that it is offensive. All of that though doesn't mean she is a racist, who believes that black people or Hispanics are inferior to her. Could Deen stand to attend a sensitivity training seminar, absolutely, but I just don't see this as being any different than Ted Danson dressing black face alongside Whoopi Goldberg decades ago at the Oscars. Everyone found it hilarious when Danson did it, including Whoopi, but yes it should be considered offensive by today's standards.
Nobody ever found Ted Danson dressing as blackface funny. From 1993:

"They cringed in disbelief during the opening monologue by actor Ted Danson, Whoopi's lover, who appeared in blackface and used the word "*****" more than a dozen times during a series of jokes that drew smaller and smaller laughs, until finally the audience was *groaning and Danson faltered as he tried to plow through his written material."

Danson's Racist 'Humor' Appalls Crowd at Roast | Roger Ebert's Journal | Roger Ebert

However, I don't find Paula Deen's photo offensive.

Last edited by jburress; 07-07-2015 at 07:19 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 07:14 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Does anyone actually think Paula Deen is capable of even using Twitter? I doubt it.

She pays someone to do it, and they posted an old photo for whatever reason.

She may be a racist or whatever, but I seriously doubt she posted that.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:17 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Are they going to ban tanning beds now?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:32 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
The liberals are constantly looking for something to get their panties in a wad. This is just another example of that.
Seriously?

Liberals looking for something to get upset about....

Seriously?

Even the most causal perusal of this forum would raise questions about the author's grasp on reality.

Seriously!

Old 07-07-2015, 07:56 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
Well then we should be offended by George Hamilton every damned day.

Yes, he is a constant shade of brown everyday. I don't think I've ever seen him
any other color!! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events