Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 09:57 AM

453 posts, read 530,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Societies either allow or look down on politically incorrect behavior and that will always upset some members of the society because some will always find things like black face, sexist jokes or gay bashing offensive while others find them funny and don't think it's such a big deal.

We all have to live with that. Even those who prefer politically correctness have to deal with those "jokes" on a regular basis at work or with friends and family. Now if the media in your country is not as funny as you wish it were, maybe it's time to move, plenty of countries still engage in that behavior.
That's not entirely what's being debated though - it's hypocrisy in demonizing one group of people for doing it rather than everyone as a whole. Personally, I am not offended by Paula Deen, by Robert Downey Jr, or the Wayans Brothers for doing it - only one was vilified for it though, and that's what bothers me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 10:01 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I have found that just about all of the folks who say "I am sick of PC, it's only words, lighten up" tend to get furious and physically violent when someone calls them or their mate/kids (correctly, no less) "fat", "ugly", "dumb", "midget", "baldie," "skank" and so on. Wait guys, I thought it was only words!? Can't we engage in a playful banter any mo'?

Mick
so you surround yourself with hypocrites??

Old 07-08-2015, 10:04 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Oh gosh.

"White face" (btw, that's not a thing) doesn't have a history of mocking and oppressing white people. It was done once in a movie. So? What? Black face was done everywhere. Of course someone who paints their face brown is going to get negative feedback. Given the awful history of black face, why wouldn't it?
Trying to "whitewash" a double standard??

Old 07-08-2015, 10:10 AM

625 posts, read 623,610 times
It's not Paula's fault. She's just a good ole' Southern gal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8-8tzxL1u0

Old 07-08-2015, 10:15 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Actually, the idiot is her. Seriously, what idiot gets her show yanked & experiences negative press for her views on blacks (yes I realize, southerners are so ingrained in their racism that they truly do not even understand racism or that they are racist) & then turns around a couple years later & pulls a stunt like that? You'd have to be completely brain dead to go thru what she did & then repeat it. I just shake my head.
The photo was from 2011. It is NOT a current photo.

And she didn't have brownface. So why is it her fault? Why is she to blame?

It's a spin on I Love Lucy. Ricky wasn't a white boy so what's the problem?

Old 07-08-2015, 10:18 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
That's not entirely what's being debated though - it's hypocrisy in demonizing one group of people for doing it rather than everyone as a whole. Personally, I am not offended by Paula Deen, by Robert Downey Jr, or the Wayans Brothers for doing it - only one was vilified for it though, and that's what bothers me.
Nailed it.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:53 AM

1,136 posts, read 922,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
That movie was called "White Chicks" and starred Shawn Wayans and Marlon Wayans.
White Chicks (2004) - IMDb

The fact that nobody gets offended when non-white actors portray themselves as white shows the one-sided, hypocritical nature of identity politics in contemporary America.
No you just don't get it and refuse to get it. They have done brown face on Always sunny in Philadelphia and black face in Zoolander. That did not cause an uproar because those were done with sensitivity not as a racist stunt.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:54 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
The liberals are constantly looking for something to get their panties in a wad. This is just another example of that.

We do not need to look hard. They come to us.

No one's "panties are in a wad" Ms. Dean;s has been caught with her's down, however.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:03 AM

1,136 posts, read 922,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
So you are upset that some people find t distasteful that a woman who has made bigoted remarks, glorifying an image that southerners keep swearing is no longer how they view the world, is involved in brown face, even though other white and black entertainers have been involved in similar activities with less fan fare?

Old 07-08-2015, 11:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Who cares, why is this news?

If someone would actually be offended by this or see any racism in this, they're an idiot. The whole race card thing is getting old and played out. Pretty soon, the brown crayon will be considered a form of racism and be banned from Crayola.
You mean that color along with black and red are still included?
Oh, the shame Crayola had better start feeling and remove those offensive things. If not, let's call up the ACLU,Al (Freddies Fashion Mart) Sharpton and demand change!

Brown Crayon, no peace is the demand of the day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events