Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 07:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
First, when I was a kid, I was told/taught that it's extremely rude for someone who knows English to speak a foreign language in the presence of someone who does not understand it. I agree with that. Oddly enough, while I lived in two areas where Hispanics were the majority, everybody but recent immigrants spoke English in general usage.

Second, I wasn't paying much attention years ago when I read America is becoming a bilingual nation. Didn't pay attention when Spanish started popping up on voter forms, etc., either. The first I ever really noticed was not long ago when posters in laundry room showed up with both English and Spanish translations- in a state that is said to have only 5.5% of the population as Hispanic.

Third, my personal beef on the topic: years ago, when my youngest was attending a public elementary school in the United States, she was ridiculed, harassed, and virtually bullied by school staff because everyday life in the school was conducted in Spanish and she only spoke English. It was SO extreme that I took her out of school and home-schooled her. And frankly, I didn't think that type of situation was right.
Yep, and you still had to pay for that school that drove you out. Sad day, real sad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Never heard English was easy. We have many meanings for same sounding words that have different definitions, and various spellings and foreigners are the ones who found it hard along with many americans. It is a confusing language compared to others. As for 'too stupid' to learn, not convinced you are the brightest crayon in the box either. Americans arent interested in learning another language and thats the real problem . A student for years, had as a requirement , to choose a language. When we went to dumbing down our education system it was no longer required. Neither is learning cursive or good penmanship or spelling correctly. Those who are way smarter than you and I came up with this.
What do you do with those that either can't learn a foreign language or don't wish to learn Spanish or French which is a common choice? If learning a second language is required then open it up to multiple languages that might actually help the person learning it in the working world. Chinese,Japanese,Arabic or any number of other languages of countries we do business with.
We don't need to learn a second language just to live in our own country that's insane.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:58 PM

335 posts, read 325,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Yeah, the Great American Experiment was going just peachy until we squandered everyone's money on that extra ink and paper for those darn drivers tests.
U.S. English | Making English the Official Language | Fact Sheets: Costs of Multilingualism

I encourage everyone to take a minute and click on this link.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:00 PM

62,931 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
Well thanks to Trumps fanning the flames of hate for anyone of Spanish descent or speaking the Spanish language, this was inevitable.
Where did Trump do that? His remarks were about illegal aliens not Hispanic citizens. He never said anything about speaking Spanish as being objectionable either. Are you hallicinating or just making this all up?

Old 08-06-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Being multilingual shows a higher level of intellect.

I bet this hag cannot speak anything else and even her English must be atrocious.
Nonsense! It's pure stupidity to learn a language you will never or hardy ever use. It's smart to learn other things more useful to further one's career.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Karma being what it is "Miss. Anne" will likely end her days in a care home staffed by nurses, aides and others who speak Patois, Tagalog, Spanish, Niger-Congo and a few other languages. They will speak among themselves in *their* language as they go about their work largely ignoring the woman and or her rants about English speaking.
Most jobs require that you speak English while on the clock and rightly so!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Nonsense! It's pure stupidity to learn a language you will never or hardy ever use. It's smart to learn other things more useful to further one's career.
Is it nonsense to learn Algebra when you'll never do anything more than basic math?

Old 08-06-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I guess you have never been overseas. Americans along with Brits tend to be the loudest and most obnoxious tourists out there.

And I've seen them instead demand the locals to speak English and get angry and abusive if they don't.
Then they are wrong to. I'm not a hypocrite and expect our own citizens to behave differently then I would expect foreigners to do in our own country. I do not expect tourists to know our language either but loudness should not be tolerated from anyone. Two wrongs don't make a right which is what you seem to be implying here.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:10 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Do you not know how to multi task?

Learning new things is called expanding your brain. It helps combat Alzheimer's. More people should try it.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:19 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
Quote:
But that's what most Spanish speakers do. They don't speak softly to one another they shout so that everyone else can hear them. That's rude.

How fortunate you are to have met most Spanish speakers.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:24 PM

519 posts, read 776,965 times
How rude of that woman to criticize a mother for speaking in her native tongue! This country is a melting pot of cultures, races, religions, and languages. That lady has forgotten what it means to be an American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events