Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2015, 02:56 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
It works for European countries.
Not all that well in most cases. They have very high youth unemployment, for example, and high unemployment, more generally. Not to mention slower economic growth, which is needed to pay for the expensive welfare state. A few small countries seem to pull it off. Most of the rest are in trouble.

And to top it off, despite all the benefits, Europe STILL has much lower birth rates than America, so the policy isn't even working if the goal is for the population to replace itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 03:03 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Child bearing isn't a right and it certainly shouldn't be paid by company dollars in my view. Once upon of time more people would plan/make arrangements themselves to have kids and not rely on others to do so, including gov or companies. Family chipped in to help in certain cases, not private companies or gov. Unfortunately I wasn't part of that generation but it makes much more sense to me. I think it's called personal responsibility, not feeling entitled for others to pick up the tab even though we know they are indeed the center of the universe and everything should bend around them. Quite a foreign concept these days I know.
Just to piggyback on what you're saying here....

These so-called benefits aren't truly done for our benefit. They're done to make people dependent on the government, to maintain power and control over people....to make people think they can't do things for themselves...to get people to look to Big Brother or some other figure outside themselves and their families/local communities as a Savior figure.

It's all about centralizing power and control. The way you do that is to get people to think it's not possible or too hard for them to do things on their own without the help of some institution (corporation, government, etc. IE "Big Brother").

Old 08-23-2015, 03:05 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh I dunno, perhaps just the satisfaction that one gets from living in a so-called Christian society and considering the welfare of the whole rather than the "what's in it for me"?

Of course you could always regress all the way back to wandering off to the side of the field you're picking cotton in and just squat to dump your kid in the grass like all good conservatives would expect of you.
Kind of funny, that you're calling for childless folks to consider others, and accuse them of being selfish, yet you have no words for the women that choose to have children and expect others to cater to them, and support them.

Isn't it the woman having the child that has the biggest "what's in it for me?" attitude. And no, we don't live in a collective, we live in a country where the individual has rights.

And like a typical liberal, you decide that a childless worker that has a problem with a woman with a child stealing from them, and make the instant leap to "you want women to give birth in a field". Show me where I said anything remotely like that?

Old 08-23-2015, 03:07 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh I dunno, perhaps just the satisfaction that one gets from living in a so-called Christian society and considering the welfare of the whole rather than the "what's in it for me"?

Of course you could always regress all the way back to wandering off to the side of the field you're picking cotton in and just squat to dump your kid in the grass like all good conservatives would expect of you.
"Satisfaction" doesn't pay the bills. Shouldn't that mother take "satisfaction" in knowing she's had a child?

Old 08-23-2015, 03:12 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Kind of funny, that you're calling for childless folks to consider others, and accuse them of being selfish, yet you have no words for the women that choose to have children and expect others to cater to them, and support them.

Isn't it the woman having the child that has the biggest "what's in it for me?" attitude. And no, we don't live in a collective, we live in a country where the individual has rights.

And like a typical liberal, you decide that a childless worker that has a problem with a woman with a child stealing from them, and make the instant leap to "you want women to give birth in a field". Show me where I said anything remotely like that?
I don't know how extensive your study of biology is but you do know that in the majority of circumstances there is a man involved in making a baby as well?

To imply women should bear the entire responsibility for what is a "two person" decision is simplistic and misogynistic regardless of your view on paid leave.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:27 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
I don't there is really any reasonable argument against starting out with 3 months paid maternity leave, with the option to extend it down the line.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:45 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Say you want paid leave...here's what you do:

Don't take a job that doesn't offer it.

Problem solved.

Yes!

And if companies think there's an urgent need, they can choose to extend this benefit. And decide how they're going to manage the inequity of workers left to carry the ball (yet again) for employees' protracted absences.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:22 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
A lot of posters are complaining about there not being enough wage increases today.

A company has so many dollars they can use to pay employees, which is a percentage of income. Example a fast food restaurant allows 30% of gross income for labor costs. Different businesses and industry have their own allowable percentage for wages and benefit costs.

If an employer has to pay several months to a couple of years maternity leave for several employees as an example; which employees do they reduce in pay to come up with the money to pay for this benefit?

If they are in a competitive business where they really cannot raise their prices to come up with more income, to offer maternity benefits, other employees are going to have to take a hit and have their income reduced to pay for maternity benefits such as the OP proposes.

How many people that think we should have this benefit for everyone, would be willing to take a 10% to 20% wage cut to make it possible to offer the same maternity benefits as some other country.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:33 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Look at the denial in this thread. This is why we'll never have the things they do. We're too worried about that CEO getting his 400x higher wage than the average person. No vision, no care for the very foundation of our society. This is why career women don't have kids but the jobless white trash have many.

Welcome to america- nowhere NEAR being the "Greatest Country in the World" anymore. Greed, guns and "I've got mine-*********" attitude. NO WAY USA!!

Old 08-23-2015, 04:34 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
[quote=clb10;40921875]Say you want paid leave...here's what you do:

Don't take a job that doesn't offer it.

Problem solved. [/quote

Yeah because in 'murica there's just SO MANY employment options for most people!! Good God people-no wonder 'murica sucks as bad as it does!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events