Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 07:00 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
You really think detention and a "talking to" are appropriate for assaulting someone? That's more appropriate for not completing school work or talking back to the teacher. If you don't take serious assaults seriously, you are essentially condoning them. While they went overboard, you are taking this way too lightly. There must be some middle ground.

Yes, their brains aren't fully developed. It doesn't mean they don't know it's wrong. If they don't know it's wrong to force a kiss on someone, they shouldn't be in a regular school setting.

If you treat sexual assault so lightly( detention), the school will devolve into a place where that's seen as okay and not that big a deal. They at least need suspension, might need alternative placement or expulsion spending on the students history. That sends a message to both parents and students that assault is not taken lightly. Detention is assigned for simple transgressions.
Yes I really do.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I pulled the " free for all" because you think this is a simple matter handled by detention. If there are t consequences and an atmosphere that accepts horrible behavior as common place...you get a free for all atmosphere. Kids can do awful things and must be held accountable.

There is a huge amount of space between detention and arrest. The punishment should be in the middle ground.
But there are consequences. They just aren't criminal. I also supported suspension. Just not complete removal from the school. Just because you don't pull out handcuffs and throw the book at someone doesn't mean there aren't negative consequences. Its scary that people think that way any more...

Old 09-22-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Now 13 year old = mental disorder.

Look, these are not shenannigans. I was 13. I had lost of 13 year old male friends. NO ONE would have thought this was appropriate at any time.
Not what I said.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-22-2015 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Discuss the topic, not other posters

Old 09-22-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You're right.
Let's just let all rapists go...wouldn't want to ruin their lives.
Murderers, too.
I mean, none of this is going to bring the victim back.

What is wrong with you people? This is not a simple matter of setting off fireworks behind the school or spray painting a building. Youthful indiscretions.

This is physical and sexual assault.
Why do you have such a difficult time understanding rehabilitation over revenge? No offense occurs in a vacuum. Its time to get smarter about fighting these issues. "LOCK 'EM UP" ain't workin' dear.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The system as it stands now don't and we don't really have the mental hospitals to fix your flasher's "mental issues" (I just personally think he was an exhibitionist which isn't a mental illness in it off itself.) So we have to lock them up and hope they don't become hardened or give them slaps on the wrists.
But the overwhelming amount of evidence shows locking people up simply doesn't work. It never has and never will for the majority of people. We need rehabilitation, not revenge.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You were afraid to go out, and you weren't even touched. You just saw something that upset you. Imagine being touched and how you would feel given your reaction to seeing some homeless probably mentally ill guy merely flash you.
You don't know what I've experienced. Please don't assume that being flashed was the worst that's ever happened. It was the first example I thought of this morning. I still favor helping over hurting.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But the overwhelming amount of evidence shows locking people up simply doesn't work. It never has and never will for the majority of people. We need rehabilitation, not revenge.
But we don't want to spend the money to fix people. That is why the mental hospitals have vowed up, pushing the crazies onto the streets. I agree we SHOULD rehabilitate but until we do, what other option do we have besides put the criminals?

Old 09-22-2015, 07:25 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
If you had a teenage daughter and some boy forced her to open her mouth and stuck his tongue in her mouth, are you going to laugh it off? Maybe this is an acceptable behavior down South. I don't know.

Mick
I'd be very concerned knowing that my daughter has someone in class that can come to her, stick his tongue in her mouth and what's not. It's always a concern to have a sexual predator around your daughter.
However if this is a thirteen years old who did it because his buddies "dared" him to - that's a bit different story. That's where you already start feeling not for your daughter so much, but for HIS parents, as in "honey, you don't jump off the roof just because your friends dare you to, and no, you don't stick your tongue into someone's mouth, because such and such tells you "I bet you can't do that."
So it's somewhat a different story, it's not so much about a "sexual predator," but most likely about the parents of a thirteen-years old, who didn't figure out that it's time to be on guard for all kind of crap teenage boys can do.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:29 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,870 times
Thank goodness for laws that don't leave these things to the discretion of folks like those on this thread with their pity for the "poor boy" who sexually assaulted a classmate who was minding her own business at school.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:02 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Thank goodness for laws that don't leave these things to the discretion of folks like those on this thread with their pity for the "poor boy" who sexually assaulted a classmate who was minding her own business at school.
Thanks lord there are still folks that have common sense and can feel sorry for a thirteen year old, when law enforcement stops making sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events