Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 07:13 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
It is beyond stupid. WT_ is wrong with lawmakers in this country?
Now there are 3 genders???
So, If I take bull hormones and identify with a minotaur, can I be called a Bull-man? I am sorry, it should be Bull-person, and I will be offended if you call me a cow.

I think the plot is to run the normal Americans out b/c the country will be bankrupt.
Also, get this. Last week, I did a survey for a Northern California company (I'm on the east coast) and they asked me my gender. There were 3 freakin' choices. WT____ !!!!!!
Male, female, or undecided? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 07:23 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
So there is just a gap of 100s of years in the U.S. and other countries to acknowledge the movement IF it existed since recorded history as you proclaim. I don't buy it and neither will the millions of other young, old, middle-age people. People will call them as they see them, a man or a woman. I'm not calling your dog a chicken if it has feathers or a cat if it purrs.
I'm not claiming, I'm telling you straight up that this is not new and that it has been part of many cultures for millennium.

Quote:
Hijras, who can be eunuchs, intersex or transgender, have been part of South Asia's culture for thousands of years. Eunuchs are celebrated in sacred Hindu texts such as the Mahabharata and the Kama Sutra. They also enjoyed influential positions in the Mughal courts.

When the British came to power in India, the community's fortunes changed, with the disgusted colonists passing a law in 1897 classing all eunuchs as criminals. Since then many have been ostracised – either for cross dressing or being intersex – and have gone on to form their own communities, around a guru or mother figure to provide emotional and financial security. Many even took to using a secret code language known as Hijra Farsi for protection. More recently, hijras have been seen as auspicious and are often asked to bless celebrations such as marriages and births. In India's larger cities this has waned, forcing many to rely on begging or prostitution. The effect of this dangerous work and the community's limited access to health and welfare services can be seen in the staggering fact that HIV rates among hijras stand at 18% in Mumbai, while the rate among the wider population is only 0.3%.
Hijra: India's third gender claims its place in law | Society | The Guardian

Old 12-29-2015, 07:36 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
Yes. Don't believe everything he/she tells you ... After all, you ARE dealing with a person with a chemical imbalance.
Yes, I am. I hope you figure it out soon.

Oh wait, you meant my niece? Nope, not as far as I know.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:42 PM

30,247 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You made that quite clear. But luckily for everyone else, transgender people and those in the medical and research community don't care what you think.

You SHOULD speak to and hang out with trans people. There's no reason to not. So sorry, but I'm not giving you special recognition for it. That trans person you worked with and were friends with is no different than anyone else.
I didn't ask for special recognition. Unlike some people in this world, I don't need a prize every time I do something that some people think deserves a damn parade. I pointed it out to you simply because of your tone. You don't know everything that you think you do.

Quote:
And again, with low-key calling me an ass. Is this the only response people have? Yes, I know the whole "when you assume" argument but I'm not assuming anything. I'm taking info right out of others' posts. Even an idiot could see how certain people see trans people with contempt and utter disrespect. The fact that you were friends with one doesn't mean you that you respect their life and struggles - "I don't believe in "born in the wrong body"" - this quote alone proves that you don't get it.
I don't have to "get it", it's not my fricken problem.

You did ASSume, your argument was shot down, he did not care, he did not have a problem with it, he doesn't need you to speak for him. You know what he didn't like? People making a huge production out of how he was, like you and the rest of your PC bs ilk do. If he doesn't have an issue with it, get over yourself.

I didn't even read the rest of your condescending drivel. My friend would laugh in your face if he read the garbage that you wrote.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:27 PM

290 posts, read 366,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
Yes. Don't believe everything he/she tells you ... After all, you ARE dealing with a person with a chemical imbalance.
That's very outdated medical theory, albeit theory that some think is still current (others know better, but enjoy being hurtful). Trans men and women are now thought to be born with the brain of the gender they transition to; it is their bodies and reproductive systems that don't "match" so to speak. It's not exactly the same as being born with ambiguous genitalia, as is the case for infants with certain gender chromosome disorders or anomalies, and the intersex community is a distinct group with distinct needs and concerns, but it's far closer as an analogy than the mental illness model. Although it's not uncommon, pre-transition, for a trans men or trans woman to experience depression and/or anxiety — which anyone would, if their body didn't match their gender.

Think of how depressed many men with gynecomastia — a well known condition where teen/adult males grow breasts because of a hormonal imbalance — say they feel having body parts associated with female teens/adults. Or how depressed a man with severe micropenis might be, feeling that having a part of his genitalia thought to define his gender be closer in size to that of a woman's "pleasure center" (the clitoris) than his male counterparts', whose sex organs obtain an average length of 5.5"-6.3" when erect. Conversely, women with a clitoris on the large side of average often say they are depressed, anxious, and self-conscious about how new sexual partners will react.

People are free to ignore topics and limit time spent with people they find personally offensive. But, in the case of those who know better, people are not entitled to invent their own facts to create scenarios they find more personally appealing.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I didn't ask for special recognition. Unlike some people in this world, I don't need a prize every time I do something that some people think deserves a damn parade. I pointed it out to you simply because of your tone. You don't know everything that you think you do.

I don't have to "get it", it's not my fricken problem.

You did ASSume, your argument was shot down, he did not care, he did not have a problem with it, he doesn't need you to speak for him. You know what he didn't like? People making a huge production out of how he was, like you and the rest of your PC bs ilk do. If he doesn't have an issue with it, get over yourself.

I didn't even read the rest of your condescending drivel. My friend would laugh in your face if he read the garbage that you wrote.
Then stop talking about it. You're right - none of this is your problem, but it doesn't stop you from talking about it, does it? It doesn't stop you from admitting you think transgender people have something wrong with them, that they're not born in the wrong body (aka that something DIDN'T go wrong in development), and it doesn't stop you from admitting you will refuse to call them by the gender they identify as. So for something that's not your problem, you're sure talking a lot about it.

MY post is drivel? Laughable. People like you will never get it. NEVER. I don't know why I even try on these threads, dealing over and over again with people who will never understand or even care enough to educate themselves or understand what someone else's life and experiences are like, and why they may be that way.

I know a hell of a lot. I can tell by reading posts like yours. So you were friends with a transgender person you worked with, congrats. It doesn't mean your opinion on them isn't complete sh*t. Sounds to me like you were only friends with her because she didn't care that you preferred to call her a him and refer to her as a male. Not everyone is like that. Not every transgender will want to be your friend and would want to be so kind to you. Many transgender people would be offended by your words, and rightfully.

If you want to continue insulting people by not calling them by the gender they identify, fine. No one can make you. But as time goes on, and society moves forward, you will be in the minority and more and more people will disagree with your antiquated outlook.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BadGuy View Post
That's very outdated medical theory, albeit theory that some think is still current (others know better, but enjoy being hurtful). Trans men and women are now thought to be born with the brain of the gender they transition to; it is their bodies and reproductive systems that don't "match" so to speak. It's not exactly the same as being born with ambiguous genitalia, as is the case for infants with certain gender chromosome disorders or anomalies, and the intersex community is a distinct group with distinct needs and concerns, but it's far closer as an analogy than the mental illness model. Although it's not uncommon, pre-transition, for a trans men or trans woman to experience depression and/or anxiety — which anyone would, if their body didn't match their gender.

Think of how depressed many men with gynecomastia — a well known condition where teen/adult males grow breasts because of a hormonal imbalance — say they feel having body parts associated with female teens/adults. Or how depressed a man with severe micropenis might be, feeling that having a part of his genitalia thought to define his gender be closer in size to that of a woman's "pleasure center" (the clitoris) than his male counterparts', whose sex organs obtain an average length of 5.5"-6.3" when erect. Conversely, women with a clitoris on the large side of average often say they are depressed, anxious, and self-conscious about how new sexual partners will react.

People are free to ignore topics and limit time spent with people they find personally offensive. But, in the case of those who know better, people are not entitled to invent their own facts to create scenarios they find more personally appealing.
Great couple of posts from you! Awesome analogies in this one.

Some people out there would like everyone to fit in a little box - male and female, even heterosexual. But the world doesn't work like this, and as far back as history goes, people have not fit into these little boxes. Interesting to note, in ancient Rome it was commonplace - not necessarily openly discussed, but frequently happened - for men to have sex with underage or younger males. Even married men would have sex with younger males. It was accepted, but not really spoken about. So historically things deemed odd and wrong today, things outside people's little boxes, occurred. This stuff is nothing new. This so called "PC stuff" of today is not always new. Also, like you said, there are people born with ambiguous genitalia. At birth, parents have to choose the sex of their child - and there's always the fear of choosing the wrong one because the child will suffer depression and confusion from it (sound familiar?). Because in the brain, the child knows which sex they are. And if the parents choose the wrong physical sex, the child will suffer from it for life. So this stuff exists naturally in medicine. Not to mention everything else you stated - men who grow breasts, who have abnormally small penises, women who have an abnormally large clitoris, etc. These are all issues that men and women face, men and women who don't fit into that simple box because they are different than the majority of men and women.

I personally believe that transgenderism occurs when something goes wrong in fetal development - and lots of things can go wrong in fetal development. It is not at all uncommon for things to happen, and the child to develop abnormally. I think when someone is transgender, as they are developing the brain doesn't match the sexual organs. Transgender children will recognize this difference even before they fully understand gender and gender roles. They will say they feel like a boy when they are actually a girl, and vice versa, at ages as young as two, before they can even have full conversations. They know from a very young age.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:53 PM

16,541 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

MY post is drivel? Laughable. People like you will never get it. NEVER. I don't know why I even try on these threads, dealing over and over again with people who will never understand or even care enough to educate themselves or understand what someone else's life and experiences are like, and why they may be that way.

I know you are addressing another poster, but I wonder if you are as understanding and supportive of people with issues, but not PC ones?
Another words you are brainwashed to be supportive of PC protected groups, but likely have no empathy or desire to make people with whom you disagree with feel good about themselves.

Far too many people with tee shirts and bumper stickers proclaiming
COEXIST

want to do nothing of the sort with anyone who does not agree with them.

`

Old 12-30-2015, 04:57 AM

743 posts, read 765,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes, I am. I hope you figure it out soon.

Oh wait, you meant my niece? Nope, not as far as I know.
I hope you get him/her they help they need. God bless.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:22 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BadGuy View Post

Changed brain does not indicate it is anything beyond mental illness. Without a study that measures brain structure in someone who decides to identify as another gender from their infancy to their adulthood the adult study has severe limits.

The answer is probably yes, but not because of innateness. The altered brain microstructure is probably due to years of repetitive thinking, fantasy and preoccupation with body image.

http://mygenes.co.nz/transsexualBrain.htm

Last edited by dpm1; 12-30-2015 at 06:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events