Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 04:40 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Move away from all the perpetual negative news from the media. Sure, it's sad and terrible. But there's probably a lot more good life-saving stories too from cops and firemen they won't ever show. Unless of course, a dog or cat is involved then it gets airtime. I know the world is not all bubble-gum, hopskotch, and popcorn but dont give in to the daily bombardment of bad news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 07:47 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
A couple of facts haven't been brought to light here which ought to be known.

Pennsylvania's 67 counties are home to no less than 14 separate Penn Townships, plus a few East Penns, West Penns, etc. The two largest are in the suburbs of Pittsburgh.

But this particular Penn Township is in Perry County; an "ex-urban" community about 25 miles northwest of, and on the opposite bank of the Susquehanna from Harrisburg. The area has drawn some in-migration from the more cosmopolitan cities to the southeast in recent years, in a manner similar to the Pocono Mountains.

The county has a total population of less than 50,000; (there are probably some Amish, but not that many). And some of the locals cling to old traditions, such as a couple who lost all but one of their eight children to a fire a few years ago -- because the parents were trying to maintain a Nineteenth Century family structure in a Twenty-First Century economy.

7 Children Killed In Perry County Fire | WGAL Home - WGAL Home

Now I'm sure that a lot of people with good intentions, but little understanding of how hard old traditions are to break, and how reluctant our legal system is to tamper with the basic unit of our society will be screaming: "Why didn't the government step in and do something?

But for better or for worse, that's not how things are done in a culture where the rights of the family and the individual are sacrosanct. As recently as fifty years ago, the "invisible" structure of church and community would likely have had a far greater say -- and willingness to intervene, But this is no longer true, and the rules formulated by the legislature and the IRS aren't geared to deal with anomalies like the one in the link above.

Or the case that's spawned all the second-guessing and blame-throwing in this thread, for that matter.

In a community this small, it's a near-certainty that at least some of the participants knew each other; but when the consequences become more pronounced, just as with a poker game. it gets harder to guess exactly what the person on the other side of the table will do -- even if you know them by their first name.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-14-2016 at 08:14 PM..

Old 01-14-2016, 08:07 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
A couple of facts haven't been brought to light here which ought to be known.

Pennsylvania's 67 counties are home to no less than 14 separate Penn Townships, plus a few East Penns, West Penns, etc. The two largest are in the suburbs of Pittsburgh.

But this particular Penn Township is in Perry County; an "ex-urban" community about 25 miles northwest of, and on the opposite bank of the Susquehanna from Harrisburg. The area has drawn some in-migration from the more cosmopolitan cities to the southeast in recent years, in a manner similar to the Pocono Mountains.

The county has a total population of less than 50,000; (there are probably some Amish, but not that many). And some of the locals cling to old traditions, such as a couple who lost all but one of their eight children to a fire a few years ago -- because the parents were trying to maintain a Nineteenth Century family structure in a Twenty-First Century economy.

7 Children Killed In Perry County Fire | WGAL Home - WGAL Home

Now I'm sure that a lot of people with good intentions, but little understanding of how hard old traditions are to break, and how reluctant our legal system is to tamper with the basic unit of our society will be screaming: "Why didn't the government step in and do something?

But for better or for worse, that's not how things are done in a culture where the rights of the individual are sacrosanct. As recently as fifty years ago, the "invisible" structure of church and community would likely have had a far greater say -- and willingness to intervene, But this is no longer true, and the rules formulated by the legislature and the IRS aren't geared to deal with anomalies like the one in the link above.

Or the case that's spawned all the second-guessing and blame-throwing in this thread, for that matter.

In a community this small, it's a near-certainty that at least some of the participants knew each other; but when the consequences become more pronounced, just as with a poker game. it gets harder to guess exactly what the person on the other side of the table will do -- even if you know them by their first name.
Great post. It will be lost on the people that can't stop and contemplate a different circumstance but most of the sane people around here REALLY appreciate it.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:50 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,685 times
Mama once said stupid is what stupid does.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:46 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,228 times
In the mid 90's one of those constables came to my door in Harrisburg. I answered the door, he showed no badge or ID of any kind, he started telling me to back up while trying to push his way into my house.
We had a short wrestling match where this constable ended up rolling down the steps and onto the sidewalk.
I initially thought it was a home invasion. I only found out he was a constable was because he left a paper behind that demanded I pay a past due parking fine I knew nothing about.
I paid it the next day and made a lengthy complaint to the sheriffs dept.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:31 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
In the mid 90's one of those constables came to my door in Harrisburg. I answered the door, he showed no badge or ID of any kind, he started telling me to back up while trying to push his way into my house.
We had a short wrestling match where this constable ended up rolling down the steps and onto the sidewalk.
I initially thought it was a home invasion. I only found out he was a constable was because he left a paper behind that demanded I pay a past due parking fine I knew nothing about.
I paid it the next day and made a lengthy complaint to the sheriffs dept.
I believe you. There are people in law enforcement who use their position to bully the community at large. Speaking of parking tickets, my husband was threatened with arrest when we were late paying a fine. Crazy they can throw you in jail over a parking ticket.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I believe you. There are people in law enforcement who use their position to bully the community at large. Speaking of parking tickets, my husband was threatened with arrest when we were late paying a fine. Crazy they can throw you in jail over a parking ticket.
What does that have to do with this officer or case in question?

In a case where the officer did nothing wrong and a 12yo girl got shot we have you guys showing up to tell us about an anecdotal bad experience you had with a cop?

Do you feel that's appropriate?

Old 01-17-2016, 12:37 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What does that have to do with this officer or case in question?

In a case where the officer did nothing wrong and a 12yo girl got shot we have you guys showing up to tell us about an anecdotal bad experience you had with a cop?

Do you feel that's appropriate?
Just a little bit of a side story illustrating what I believe to be local government overstepping their boundaries with citizens. I was agreeing with the poster's statement.

Yes, I feel its appropriate since I've already made my feelings about the case in the question known. Threads often go in different directions here and I don't see why you should call me out over it when it happens all the time here.

ETA: I won't denigrate an entire group of people but I've heard and seen my fair share of the average constable's attitude toward the community at large. I think it is appropriate to discuss it here.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:51 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
If the constable was only serving a notice, there was no need to get into an aggressive situation with the tenant.

I worked in property management for many years. When a notice is served, the constable goes and gives the tenant the paperwork, which will inform the tenant of when and where they have to appear to have a formal eviction hearing. Once the hearing takes place, which the tenant is usually provided some sort of compromise to stay in their dwelling, and if the tenant is told they need to vacate, they will be given the date of which they need to vacate and THEN the sherrifs/law enforcement will come and throw out the tenants if they are still there so the owner can take back handling of the dwelling.

There are laws that govern this situation. I personally do feel the dad was overly hostile though in his reaction and the father did have a gun and even the family of the girl have stated they do not blame the constable for what happened. But IMO based on experience dealing with tenants and dealing with mentally ill tenants (I worked for a place that managed low income apartment communities and public housing) I think the officer should have taped the notice to the door, knocked, then left like what they usually do. There is nothing that states they need to speak to the tenant or engage them in any way in order to give them notice.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Just a little bit of a side story illustrating what I believe to be local government overstepping their boundaries with citizens. I was agreeing with the poster's statement.

Yes, I feel its appropriate since I've already made my feelings about the case in the question known. Threads often go in different directions here and I don't see why you should call me out over it when it happens all the time here.

ETA: I won't denigrate an entire group of people but I've heard and seen my fair share of the average constable's attitude toward the community at large. I think it is appropriate to discuss it here.
Fair enough.

Some people in the community just cause a lot of problems and exaggerate about their interactions with the police.

I had a neighbor like that, always complained about the police coming by and harassing her son that was a meth head that robbed peoples houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events