Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 02:10 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right, because the cop knew there was a child in the room? Are you sure about that? A rifle was pointed at the cop. He was about to be blown to bits. And you're suggesting, what, exactly? What would you have him do differently? He shot the guy in the arm. The guy is now alive. He could potentially be cited for reckless endangerment of his now-dead daughter.

What did the dad think waving a rifle at a cop would achieve? What if the cop had called for backup, and swarmed the place with cops, or a SWAT team? The dad was not thinking rationally, and his child paid the price.
What would YOU do in a similar situation? Would you get away with a murder under similar circumstances except you being a cop? Why do you expect nothing of a cop that an untrained and unprotected citizen is capable of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 02:12 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
What would you do? Would you shoot inside in a similar situation? HELL NO. So perhaps you should give cops a few lesson on how to avoid a temptation to kill and/or how to keep their panties dry. Again, why do you expect of cops less not more?
He wasn't shooting inside, he was shooting at the THREAT.

You obviously think that all cops are psychopathic murderers that take great joy in shooting people, and just live to kill. Do I have that about right?

To answer you question - I would have shot in a similar situation. Why? Because I want to stay alive. And eliminating the potential threat will do that. I would, as this officer does, feel awful about killing a child. But never in a million years would I believe a father would put their child in harm's way by threatening a cop with a gun while that child stands close by. But, I also am amazed at the parents that do a multitude of other stupid things that get their children killed.

Now, answer my question: what would you have done to diffuse the situation? I think, if confronted with the same scenario you would have fired also. And, as you imply, you would have crapped your pants. Or, of you "avoided the temptation" of shooting, you'd be dead.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:16 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Yup, yet another unqualified guy in uniform wetting his pants and shooting mindlessly without regard to anything or anybody, including a child. A cop is not an executioner waiting for an excuse to unload his weapons at the slighest percieved danger. A person unwilling/unable to use common sense and some guts to defuse situation should pursue different lines of work.

What would you do in this situation? You, a common citizen whose life is not protected by belonging to a state reinforcement "gang"? Would you shoot inside of a room with child in it ? Would you get away with a murder in this situation? HELL NO. If so, why do you expect so much less of a licensed cop than one would expect of a common unlicensed, unprotected citizen? When this uniform worship affected you so deeply as to expect less of a cop, not more?
So, in the interest of full disclosure just how many family members of yours are currently in jail or were shot by police?

Old 01-13-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Perhaps because, unlike those who sit in comfortable judgement behind the anonymity offered by the Internet, police officers are expected to deal with such situations -- and face harsh criticism when things don't go according to plan.
Sure, like those guys who killed a 95 y.o. in a nursing home, they were acquitted and proud, job well done. Perhaps I am anonymous to you, but not to the Big Brother. Unlike me, cops are members of the relentless state gang, you dont shoot at a cop (as a person), you shoot at the state repressive machinery that cop represents, even dumbest of the dumb criminals understand that. Janitorial jobs are way more dangerous than law enforcement jobs, and when you shoot at a janitor you dont shoot at State. If anything, janitors need blank permission to unload their weapons at the slightest sign of danger more than cops do. You point 0.223 at a janitor knocking on your door, BAM, a threat was eliminated. I cannot believe people expect less guts and common sense from the cops than from the janitors.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:33 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Rather important point here....

Constables are not cops. They are elected officials serving 6-year terms with felony-only arrest powers. (Technically they are "independent contractors" answering only to the state governor.)

Old 01-13-2016, 02:36 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
How did he think it would end if he pulled his gun out- did he want his daughter to see him being shot?
That kind of person doesn't think about consequences until it's too late, if ever.

Just glad the people involved are white. We don't need any more riots.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:38 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Rather important point here....

Constables are not cops. They are elected officials serving 6-year terms with felony-only arrest powers. (Technically they are "independent contractors" answering only to the state governor.)
Do you even know where the word cop came from?

See if you can figure it out most people know.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
He wasn't shooting inside, he was shooting at the THREAT.

You obviously think that all cops are psychopathic murderers that take great joy in shooting people, and just live to kill. Do I have that about right?

To answer you question - I would have shot in a similar situation. Why? Because I want to stay alive. And eliminating the potential threat will do that. I would, as this officer does, feel awful about killing a child. But never in a million years would I believe a father would put their child in harm's way by threatening a cop with a gun while that child stands close by. But, I also am amazed at the parents that do a multitude of other stupid things that get their children killed.

Now, answer my question: what would you have done to diffuse the situation? I think, if confronted with the same scenario you would have fired also. And, as you imply, you would have crapped your pants. Or, of you "avoided the temptation" of shooting, you'd be dead.
Please, unless you are a cop, you would analyze a potential situation, find some calming words or you would just run for cover. There is no way in hell you, untrained and unprotected citized, could shoot at a resident displaying 0.223 inside of his room without being locked up. Again, why do you expect of cops less not more? I dont get it.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
What would YOU do in a similar situation? Would you get away with a murder under similar circumstances except you being a cop? Why do you expect nothing of a cop that an untrained and unprotected citizen is capable of?
Do you have any doubt that the father was intending to kill the constable? What do you do when someone is trying to kill you? (Much less with a 223 rifle, likely semi-auto, at close range)

Old 01-13-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Do you even know where the word cop came from?

See if you can figure it out most people know.
I do know. Do you?
(It has nothing to do with constables and has always referred to police forces. The "constable on patrol" urban legend is just that, a legend, and not the source of the phrase.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events