Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 04:11 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
Did the Amish recently move to this area, or have they been living there for a long time? If it's the latter, you can't really say that they 'insist' on living among people who don't share their values. Because it would mean that the population has grown up AROUND them and now the Amish are the ones being asked to change to fit a changing community.

If that is the case, then I have to side with the Amish. If their practice hasn't changed in say 200 years, then I'm not in favor of placing the burden on them. Let the community who is expanding around them deal with the known issues. It's like moving to a nuisance. You knew about it, so deal with it.
Most Amish in Kentucky moved here in recent decades, certainly not 200 years ago. Rural land prices were cheaper here than in Pennysylvania and Ohio, and several areas around small existing communities have gained Amish farm owning residents as a result. Most Amish have been well-received and welcomed, and have fit in well.

There are no Amish puppy mills in Kentucky as far as I know, and I hope there never will be. However, there are Amish owned and operated farm stores aplenty, offering fresh produce, baked goods, cheeses, hand tools, fabric and sewing supplies, oil lamps, and so on. They provide good services to both Amish and non-Amish customers. Amish-made furniture is also in demand - solid wood, good construction, traditional styles. Much of the Amish furniture for sale in Kentucky is made in Ohio Amish communities, however.

I really cannot see any problem with requiring poop bags on horses hitched to carriages. Nor can I see any religious connotations whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:11 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
Amish are known for EXTREME animal cruelty...

Old 01-24-2017, 08:15 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Do the people who go out of their way to make excuses for the amish...ever actually have any experience with the amish?
Yes, they work hard, are honest. There are many related Mennonite branches of which the Amish are a part, who have slightly varying differences about newer technology.

As to going out of the way, if they shovel or broom the turd when it falls, that should be enough. Diapers are not sanitary for a horse or for people. The quantity of turd is large due to their remnant digestive system.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Amish are known for EXTREME animal cruelty...
Ever see a slaughterhouse kill floor. If you eat meat, you may wish to avoid the view.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
That's the beauty of religion, it can persuade people to embrace just about any screwball notion such as it would breach the cosmic order to put a butt bag under your horse's backside.
All dogma, religious or secular does the same. Brainwashing doesn't require a religion.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:22 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Yes, they work hard, are honest. There are many related Mennonite branches of which the Amish are a part, who have slightly varying differences about newer technology.

As to going out of the way, if they shovel or broom the turd when it falls, that should be enough. Diapers are not sanitary for a horse or for people. The quantity of turd is large due to their remnant digestive system.
What is required is not exactly a diaper - it's a heavy canvas bag which hangs below the back of the horse, with an opening at the top, just beneath the tail. The bag is emptied regularly and is washable. The contents do not touch either the horse (after leaving the horse's body) or the road. There is no danger to the horse caused by the use of these devices.

Amish buggies are used like cars - the drivers cannot stop to clean the road each time the horse relieves itself, without dangerously imperiling traffic.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:17 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times
it isnt just the horses poop, they violate child labor laws too, the poor boys are just beasts of burden.Ive seen teen amish boys with missing fingers smashed fingers broken arms.as far as the horse poop most of amish here have given up on the horse and buggy, they are either Mennonites so they can drive or they pay the locals to drive them.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:01 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Organic or not, it can carry disease, it stinks, looks disgusting, and I don't want piles of horse crap on my local roads.
Your opinions and desires don't supersede the rights of others.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:16 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
....I can't imagine what "religious belief" would be violated by wrapping a cloth around their horses's hiney. Seriously???
Why leave it to your already annoyed imagination? Why not make an effort to find out?

Old 01-25-2017, 03:41 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
it isnt just the horses poop, they violate child labor laws too, the poor boys are just beasts of burden.Ive seen teen amish boys with missing fingers smashed fingers broken arms.as far as the horse poop most of amish here have given up on the horse and buggy, they are either Mennonites so they can drive or they pay the locals to drive them.
lol. I call BS. Big Time BS.

And yes, I would know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events