Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 09:20 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,159,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Here's a link showing the north view trail, looping off of Maze Loop trail. It's rated beginner/intermediate.

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/...rth-view-trail

There's a description of all three, coming up:

The Best Day Hike in Joshua Tree National Park - Parks Folio

I suppose it's possible that at some point, they lost the trail, even if he'd been on it before. It gets difficult to discern in places. I can't imagine wandering off to the extent that they're climbing over boulders, though. This is why there's a warning to tell the park ranger that you're going out there. It's also cryptic that he chose the peak of the summer heat to go out there, when according to the literature, "everyone" knows you don't go hiking in the park after the end of May-ish.

And yeah, there's the whole question Suburban guy mentioned: why not celebrate a summer b-day by going to dinner, or spending a day at a water park, then going to dinner, or whatever. Where did they live? Heck, a drive to the coast would have been a GREAT b-day surprise, and very appropriate, instead of taking her into a known, life-theatening oven.
I didn't read this pages long thread but wondered was there a reason the woman would not have had knowledge about the high heat conditions? If it was a parent taking a child that's different... I'm just wondering it seems obvious she would've known what he and everyone else knows about the heat???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 09:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
...decides to take her on a hike to celebrate her birthday (instead of, you know, something most normal people would do, like go to Chili's or something)...
They were in their 20s, not 80. It's perfectly normal for a young adult to take a trip as a birthday celebration. I've gone hiking a number of times for my birthday, so has my SO. I've also taken my mom hiking on her birthday, one year we went kayaking. I like the outdoors. I would be very disappointed if my SO told me we would be celebrating my birthday at someplace like Chilis.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:43 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Do you have a link? You've been posting a lot of misinformation in this thread. All I've read is that his dead said he went with a friend two weeks prior, but didn't do any hiking. Now he's doing military level scouting???
It was in an article linked earlier in the thread, an interview with his uncle. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-25-2017 at 10:03 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 09:47 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
I didn't read this pages long thread but wondered was there a reason the woman would not have had knowledge about the high heat conditions? If it was a parent taking a child that's different... I'm just wondering it seems obvious she would've known what he and everyone else knows about the heat???
That's one thing I've been wondering. A family member said they'd organized a group hike, but obviously, everyone else dropped out, so one wonders why she didn't question it as well (though we don't know exactly why the others dropped out). I also wonder why none of their relatives advised them to call it off, or postpone it for cooler weather. But given that they'd planned a morning hike, starting early, maybe she thought that would be ok, doable, not too hot. Still, recommendations on at least one hiking site are to not go hiking in the park at any time of day, after early June, during summer months.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-25-2017 at 10:03 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
That's what a lot of posters seem to be ignoring. They act like he kidnapped her, forcing her into the desert. She planned the trip, she invited him, and she drove. They stayed at an airbnb the night before. She had plenty of chances to decide against the trip, to not go hiking in the extreme heat. She went along with it, she also made the choice to hike in what many would consider dangerous conditions.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
It was in an article linked near the beginning of the thread, an interview with his uncle.
As I said, it's not in any of the links I've read, including all the ones from this thread.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:25 AM

6,455 posts, read 9,826,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That's what a lot of posters seem to be ignoring. They act like he kidnapped her, forcing her into the desert. She planned the trip, she invited him, and she drove. They stayed at an airbnb the night before. She had plenty of chances to decide against the trip, to not go hiking in the extreme heat. She went along with it, she also made the choice to hike in what many would consider dangerous conditions.
I must have missed where anyone said he kidnapped her, which post was it?

I think things were probably perfectly normal between them until they were out on the hike itself. Nothing was forced at that point. Not sure why you think that's what people are saying.

I hope they release more info so it can be put to rest one way or the other.

chisels lol You still have me laughing at that one

Old 10-26-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I must have missed where anyone said he kidnapped her, which post was it?
No one said it, I said that is what people are acting like. People keep bringing up the heat as a motive, asking why he would go hiking despite the heat, ignoring that she also chose to go hiking. She planned the trip. She asked him to go. She drove. But then we have posters saying he had been to the park several times scouting it out and ploting her murder. It just makes no sense that he had been planning to murder her for weeks/months when the trip wasn't even his idea.

Quote:
chisels lol You still have me laughing at that one
Your the one saying they should have carved messages in rocks. I was just curious as how they were supposed to do that.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:29 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,431,297 times
Quote:
It was in an article linked earlier in the thread, an interview with his uncle. I'll see if I can find it.
Would that be this uncle?

"Joseph's uncle, Keith Martinez, joined in on Saturday morning's five hour hike.
"We're very thankful that we do have a guide taking us out and we're very thankful for that. It's very easy to lose the trails, very easy to get disoriented, turned around, heat exhaustion, all of those things can happen while you're out there," said Martinez."

Old 10-26-2017, 08:02 AM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
Here's a rather interesting tidbit:

Sympathetic Murder-Suicide in Joshua Tree National Park

Quote:
A friend of Joseph’s, Austin Young, said the two previously had dated. But Rachel had a crush on another guy who was unavailable when she asked him to join her on the hike to celebrate her birthday.

“He told her to go with Joseph instead, he would see her later,” said Le.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events