Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 11:21 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 27 days ago)

35,759 posts, read 18,101,092 times

Advertisements

So I keep reading on facebook (so, not a reliable source) that the culvert had already been searched by civilian volunteer searchers.

It's about 100 feet long, underground. I think it's a drainage feature.

Is it possible she was in the middle of the culvert?

So the follow up question is - is it actually possible the dad was telling the truth the whole time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 11:41 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,138,382 times
I think mom and dad should be locked up for the rest of their lives I don't believe the mom when she claims she was asleep during the whole time . Liars , both the parents . I think dad killed her and dumped her body while he claims he was doing laundry nope sorry again Liars !!!! May they both rot in hell .

Old 10-23-2017, 12:49 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,933,779 times
The culvert was extremely narrow and about 100 feet long - around 20" in diameter. Wesley Mathews appears to be a fairly hefty guy - while little Sherin's body would fit well within the culvert, as police have recently said (she was not visible from the end - one had to stoop over and look inside to see the child's body) - Wesley Mathews would have had to use something to push the child's body any distance into the culvert.

One of the Dallas network TV channels' reporters has been posting social media reports that are intelligent and thoughtful - she just today posted a video taken while she walked the half mile from the tree where Sherin was said to have been left behind her home to the culvert where a small child's body was found yesterday (likely Sherin, but not yet officially identified).

There was also a link to another video on another site, showing the children's choir of the family's church singing - and little Sherin and her sister are in the front row.

Sherin and her big sister are wearing pretty matching "sister" dresses and hair bows. All of the children and youth in the video are East Indian, from their appearance, so it would seem that the church's membership is predominately Indian. All of the children are extremely well groomed and beautifully dressed, with the little girls in what look like "Easter dresses". The video is not dated.

Little Sherin is standing beside her sister and the two little girls are holding hands - the older child appears to be about four, and Sherin, the smallest child in the choir, looks tiny, more like two than three, but is not thin - just little. Sherin frequently looks up at her sister, and doesn't appear to be singing much herself - probably looking to her big sister for an example of what she is expected to be doing, as small children frequently will do. Her tiny size and fragility is notable with the older child next to her, and with Sherin being the tiniest child in the choir...

This video is absolutely heart-breaking, in retrospect. Both little girls have suffered more than any child ever should, and the suffering of the older little girl is ongoing: separated from the only family she's ever known, never to be with her baby sister again, her parents under suspicion...just so very, very sad for that little girl. Sherin is free from fear and pain now...but what about that other little one? She is innocent and hurting and scared, too... My heart breaks for those two innocent, unsuspecting, pretty little sisters...

Old 10-23-2017, 12:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 27 days ago)

35,759 posts, read 18,101,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The culvert was extremely narrow and about 100 feet long - around 20" in diameter. Wesley Mathews appears to be a fairly hefty guy - while little Sherin's body would fit well within the culvert, as police have recently said (she was not visible from the end - one had to stoop over and look inside to see the child's body) - Wesley Mathews would have had to use something to push the child's body any distance into the culvert.

One of the Dallas network TV channels' reporters has been posting social media reports that are intelligent and thoughtful - she just today posted a video taken while she walked the half mile from the tree where Sherin was said to have been left behind her home to the culvert where a small child's body was found yesterday (likely Sherin, but not yet officially identified).

There was also a link to another video on another site, showing the children's choir of the family's church singing - and little Sherin and her sister are in the front row.

Sherin and her big sister are wearing pretty matching "sister" dresses and hair bows. All of the children and youth in the video are East Indian, from their appearance, so it would seem that the church's membership is predominately Indian. All of the children are extremely well groomed and beautifully dressed, with the little girls in what look like "Easter dresses". The video is not dated.

Little Sherin is standing beside her sister and the two little girls are holding hands - the older child appears to be about four, and Sherin, the smallest child in the choir, looks tiny, more like two than three, but is not thin - just little. Sherin frequently looks up at her sister, and doesn't appear to be singing much herself - probably looking to her big sister for an example of what she is expected to be doing, as small children frequently will do. Her tiny size and fragility is notable with the older child next to her, and with Sherin being the tiniest child in the choir...

This video is absolutely heart-breaking, in retrospect. Both little girls have suffered more than any child ever should, and the suffering of the older little girl is ongoing: separated from the only family she's ever known, never to be with her baby sister again, her parents under suspicion...just so very, very sad for that little girl. Sherin is free from fear and pain now...but what about that other little one? She is innocent and hurting and scared, too... My heart breaks for those two innocent, unsuspecting, pretty little sisters...
Can you post a link to that video, Craig?

Old 10-23-2017, 01:06 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,419,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
One can't help wonder: why did they seek an adoption? Why adopt a handicapped child? How was the adoption approved; what kind of vetting took place?

So sad!
Many people adopt, who shouldn't be. And not all adoptions turn out to have happy endings. Russia banned adoption to America a while back due to an unacceptably high number of adopted children being murdered or abused by their adoptive parents.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:27 PM

102,261 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Many people adopt, who shouldn't be. And not all adoptions turn out to have happy endings. Russia banned adoption to America a while back due to an unacceptably high number of adopted children being murdered or abused by their adoptive parents.
It was mainly because adoptive parents of severely psychologically-damaged children sought to return the kids to Russia. Notice that Russia, in all its concern over its children cast aside by their own alcoholic and drug-addicted parents, has not launched a nation-wide effort to bring severely-underfunded orphanages up to a national standard. Also be aware that there is no psychiatric help in Russia for severely neglected and traumatized Russian children. There is no help for anyone suffering from trauma in Russia. The psychiatric and psychotherapeutic professions in Russia are almost nonexistent, a legacy of the Soviet period. The field there has a lot of catching up to do.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Can you post a link to that video, Craig?
It's from social media and I don't think that's allowed here - but if you look for the Dallas NBC TV female Hispanic reporter's social media entry, she includes a link to where it can be found (along with much else - she's really been keeping on this terrible case).

So poignant...

Another popular crime discussion board with the initials WS has a lot about this case and may also have the video's link. Sorry to seem so obscure...

Old 10-23-2017, 02:03 PM

3,260 posts, read 2,354,033 times
A three year old child should weigh more than 22 pounds. That's the weight of a one year old child. Something is very wrong here. I too suspect the child is dead.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:33 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,837,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
A three year old child should weigh more than 22 pounds. That's the weight of a one year old child. Something is very wrong here. I too suspect the child is dead.
They found her body yesterday. Sad.

But for the record, my daughter is 2.5 and only 25 lbs and she's well fed and cared for and healthy.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
As noted, the body of a child believed to be Sherin was located in a culvert near her home yesterday.

Very often children adopted from orphanages in the developing world are quite small for their ages. Sherin was tiny but not skinny - just very small for her age (judging by photos and a couple of videos). Her weight appeared to be proportional for her height, or at least within five pounds of ideal for her height.

This is especially true of orphaned children with special needs, who often do not receive the attention they need in crowded, understaffed and underfunded orphanages.

It is also possible that Sherin was younger than reported, as she was found abandoned in some bushes when she was an infant, and her age was estimated. She looked like a small two-year-old in the video taken at church, and her speech was said to be not the equivalent of a typical three-year-old (language differences would play a role initially here, along with lack of individual attention in the orphanage). Perhaps she was younger than first estimated...that would explain her small stature, apparent immaturity, and slow speech development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events