Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 06:57 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaandjqa View Post
This may all go away soon. Altria, the makers of Marlboro, has bought 45% of a Canadian cannabis company, with option to buy the rest of it in 5 years. The tobacco companies may be offered a proposal by govt to make mixed tobacco/cannabis for research as a possible way to get people off tobacco slowly.
There was evidence that those who smoked both substances showed accelerated effects - shorter terms to, and higher rates of lung cancer, emphysema etc. I don't know the current status of that research, and it was done with the ditch weed of long ago, not the engineered THC bombs of today's strains.

I've never heard that weed is a cure for nicotine addiction, or anything like it. However, the smoky-smoke companies have been in the starting blocks to launch marijuana product lines for a long time. With, no doubt, the vast weight of folklore that weed is so much safer and has no ill effects, just as tobacco was once promoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 01:07 AM

196 posts, read 182,712 times
So students are basically vaping in classrooms? I find that hard to believe, vape produces huge smoke clouds that wouldn’t go unnoticed by teachers. If this is true however and teachers really have no control over their students about vaping then something really needs to be done ASAP. I’m so glad I graduated right before this vaping crap came out. I don’t see any difference of it between smoking a cigarette, they are both just as bad for your health.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:31 AM

69 posts, read 32,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There was evidence that those who smoked both substances showed accelerated effects - shorter terms to, and higher rates of lung cancer, emphysema etc. I don't know the current status of that research, and it was done with the ditch weed of long ago, not the engineered THC bombs of today's strains.

I've never heard that weed is a cure for nicotine addiction, or anything like it. However, the smoky-smoke companies have been in the starting blocks to launch marijuana product lines for a long time. With, no doubt, the vast weight of folklore that weed is so much safer and has no ill effects, just as tobacco was once promoted.

Weed does help some get off tobacco, as well as preventing some from starting tobacco. Cannabis has over 70 medical uses smoked, and hundreds of medical uses vaped. Currently, 60m in US use cannabis.

Cannabis can treat anxiety and depression, physical pain, epilepsy, PTSD, and in large daily doses in oil form for a few months even make over 90% of stage IV cancers vanish (see Rick Simpson video Run From The Cure). This Canadian spent his lifetime savings of $1.3 million treating stage IV cancer patients with a success rate over 90%. He's got a You Tube video on how to make the cannabis oil he used. At least 8 proven cancer fighters are in the cannabis plants.

Other ultimate sources of accurate info on cannabis, are generally elderly professors who've spent maybe half their lives specializing in cannabis research, and are or were connected to some of the top universities worldwide. Cannabis use also reduces need for alcohol and prescription pills.

Their are now over 1,700 strains of cannabis that are studied individually for both good and bad effects. It is possible to pick good ones for a specific medical problem or group of specific medical problems. The info comes from large numbers of people who try many strains and report the results. Many have said cannabis has saved their life as they no longer feel a need to commit suicide. Their are anecdotes dating back 1,000s of years, and studies since the 1800s, now numbering over 1,000 per year.

I've seen young people on You Tube say the reason they are smoking a cigarette is because they ran out of weed. If cannabis was less expensive, available more places legally, and most people used it, our life expectancy would increase, people would be healthier and happier.

2006 Donald Tashkin UCLA marijuana study shows that those who smoked cannabis only had a 10%-25% lower chance of getting cancer than those who smoked nothing. Study involved 14,000 users and 51,000 non-users. Donald Abrams also in CA (USC??), another top researcher; Lester Grinspoon, Harvard; Manuel Guzman, Complutense (?) University, Spain (Madrid?); Ethan Nadelman, author of Understanding Marijuana, is at 1 of the eastern US Universities; Dr. Mechoulam at Hebrew University (Jerusalem) is considered "The Grandfather of Modern Cannabis Research" as he split apart CBD & THC in 1964.

I've researched 15 years and have read maybe about 20,000-30,000 pages about it (100++ sources). cannabisculture.com has Granny Storm Crow's list with most of the best studies as of 1/1/09. Best wishes everyone for health and happiness.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaandjqa View Post
I've researched 15 years and have read maybe about 20,000-30,000 pages about it (100++ sources). cannabisculture.com has Granny Storm Crow's list with most of the best studies as of 1/1/09.
I appreciate the detailed response, but you are vague as to how much of your information and claims come from validated study and how much come from anecdotal, cannabis-culture "knowledge." Since I have lived in three of the states that have gone 420, I am thoroughly familiar with the wonders of weed and hemp as preached by the minions of the First Church of THC; I am also familiar with the rising tide of journal studies that are dismissing and countering much of the claim that weed is an utterly harmless boon to mankind.

Don't get me wrong; I believe in decriminalization and legalization, with controls comparable to tobacco and alcohol. But I've been observing the "alternative medicine" field for decades and seen how most wonder weeds, no matter how long used by Native Americans, Chinese, Peruvians or Siberians, prove to be somewhere between useless and toxic rather than a cure for all ills.

Marijuana, THC and CBD show promise in a few areas, and study is just now becoming something within reach of institutions that did not want to deal with the Class I drug straightjacket. But I'd be interested in you breaking down your set of claims to those that have been validated by controlled studies, and setting off the ones promoted by the various weed/hemp proponents thinking only of the betterment of all mankind.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:29 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinco Ranch View Post
So students are basically vaping in classrooms? I find that hard to believe, vape produces huge smoke clouds that wouldn’t go unnoticed by teachers. If this is true however and teachers really have no control over their students about vaping then something really needs to be done ASAP. I’m so glad I graduated right before this vaping crap came out. I don’t see any difference of it between smoking a cigarette, they are both just as bad for your health.
I think I mentioned it way back on this thread that a friend of mine who's a nurse in a HS told me the kids are doing it in class. They blow it in to their shirts. Just Google vaping in classrooms and you'll see loads of stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyt7bE4QP5E

Old 01-11-2019, 12:29 PM

New related article out today:

When your child vapes, what's a parent to do?

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/11/hea....google.com%2F

When Sonya Kennedy learned that her 12-year-old son, Ryder, had tried vaping, she was "mortified."

"He honestly didn't think that there was anything wrong," Kennedy said. "He told me that almost all the grade-sevens were doing it."

Old 01-11-2019, 05:17 PM

Interesting summary of Juul's rather casual attitude about its target and actual markets, and frantic attempt to buy respectability at this late point:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/t...marketing.html

Old 01-11-2019, 06:06 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,675 times
Quote:
My high school son tells me all about the vaping that goes on and yes, it does go on in the classroom. It also goes on all day in the bathrooms, empty hallways, etc. Because vaping produces more of a vapor than smoke it's way easier to hide. It truly is an epidemic as tons of kids (who would never thinking of smoking real cigarettes) find vaping to be very appealing . It's a total social thing now.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
vape produces huge smoke clouds that wouldn’t go unnoticed by teachers.
Vaping can produce next to no visible smoke at all, and most vape units are set that way. The steam-train clouds you see roll out of car windows and the like are from modded units or misadjusted ones - misadjusted, that is, if you DON'T want to look like a factory whistle. It's deliberate and avoidable.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Vaping can produce next to no visible smoke at all, and most vape units are set that way. The steam-train clouds you see roll out of car windows and the like are from modded units or misadjusted ones - misadjusted, that is, if you DON'T want to look like a factory whistle. It's deliberate and avoidable.
I didn't know they could be modified to produce MORE vapors! I see it alot. Those are the same people who have the bass on their car stereos where you can feel the road vibrating when next to them. Those people just LOVE (need) attention. so now they'll have no hearing and lung cancer...our future?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events