Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2018, 09:21 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would say those numbers are probably a little higher, mainly because a lot of kids that age, are not going to be totally honest about using these kinds of substances.

7th/8th grade is around the time I started smoking cigarettes, so its probably not much different than it was in the 80s.
In a group, yeah but as an individual if you dismiss them then you also dismiss anyone saying similar things because they " might not be honest about ____."

I find the study somewhat flawed but rather telling and supportive to the push for regulations especially on the side of teenage consumption and use. What I don't know is if they know the amount of nicotine or whatever they put in their body. If they vaped non-nicotine juice was it really 0 or was it like root beer which is barely fermented and effectively 0 or is it like near beer which has some ABV but not enough to classify as beer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 09:21 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would say those numbers are probably a little higher, mainly because a lot of kids that age, are not going to be totally honest about using these kinds of substances.

7th/8th grade is around the time I started smoking cigarettes, so its probably not much different than it was in the 80s.
I would agree with you on that. It would be very hard to convince me that the kids would be straight forward about anything their parents or the school would not approve.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:52 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
So, all you flag-waving, anti-gummint, over-regulation-dammit types who are using equivalence arguments like flavored vodkas as an excuse to get off the backs of the poor vape industry...

I'm just curious what you think the rationalization is for selling...
  • one of the most rapidly- and persistently-addictive substances around
  • that has minimal health consequences by itself, yes, but
  • also has next to no psychopharma benefits at all EXCEPT for quelling the addiction
  • to pretty much anyone
  • much less heavily targeted at youngsters down to preteens?
It's like addicting someone to stuffing money in your pockets. But hey, freedom, right?

Fine, sell vaping junk. Sell every flavor you can compound, including tobacco, maple rum and horse poop. But exactly what is nicotine doing in there, outside of the completely separate market for smoking cessation and basically OTC treatment for smoking addiction? Why can't teens puff away on cherry flavored smoke without a tasteless, pointless addiction-in-a-molecule additive?

Old 11-23-2018, 03:18 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

Fine, sell vaping junk. Sell every flavor you can compound, including tobacco, maple rum and horse poop. But exactly what is nicotine doing in there, outside of the completely separate market for smoking cessation and basically OTC treatment for smoking addiction? Why can't teens puff away on cherry flavored smoke without a tasteless, pointless addiction-in-a-molecule additive?
Obviously the nicotine is in there to provide a stimulating/relaxing nicotine buzz..... Otherwise what would be the point?

Old 11-23-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Obviously the nicotine is in there to provide a stimulating/relaxing nicotine buzz..... Otherwise what would be the point?
Nicotine by itself has very little direct effect. It's the quelling of the addiction symptoms that feels good.

In other words, there is absolutely no point... except to addict people quickly and easily to an expensive habit they will never truly break. Anyone who doesn't find that mercenary to the point of being sick, twisted and evil is probably not paying attention, or is distracted by their shiny yellow snake flag.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:48 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
Quote:
Nicotine by itself has very little direct effect. It's the quelling of the addiction symptoms that feels good.
I'm not saying nicotine isn't extremely addictive but it's not true that it has very little direct effect. Nicotine has many direct effects on both the body and brain including stimulation, relaxation and even euphoria. If it had no effect other than to curb nicotine withdrawals, the buzz from the first ever puff someone took would not exist (it does), as there is no nicotine addiction to curb at that point in time.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I'm not saying nicotine isn't extremely addictive but it's not true that it has very little direct effect. Nicotine has many direct effects on both the body and brain including stimulation, relaxation and even euphoria. If it had no effect other than to curb nicotine withdrawals, the buzz from the first ever puff someone took would not exist (it does), as there is no nicotine addiction to curb at that point in time.
If nicotine were not addictive, no one would bother with it. There are more powerful psychoactives on your kitchen shelf.

I doubt any significant number of smokers get into it because of the mild rush from nicotine. By the time they get used to the taste, they are addicted and the good feeling is coming from the other end.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:07 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
So, all you flag-waving, anti-gummint, over-regulation-dammit types who are using equivalence arguments like flavored vodkas as an excuse to get off the backs of the poor vape industry...

I'm just curious what you think the rationalization is for selling...
  • one of the most rapidly- and persistently-addictive substances around
  • that has minimal health consequences by itself, yes, but
  • also has next to no psychopharma benefits at all EXCEPT for quelling the addiction
  • to pretty much anyone
  • much less heavily targeted at youngsters down to preteens?
It's like addicting someone to stuffing money in your pockets. But hey, freedom, right?

They do sell vaping liquid without any nicotine and at varying nicotine levels. Everybody I know who vapes or vaped (all adults) use it for smoking cessation. It works for some better than others. As I said earlier, it didn't work for me so I stopped (I preferred cigarettes, sadly). I know many people who successfully quit smoking but show no sign of ever quitting vaping. It's probably an improvement for their health as there are less chemicals in their system now, but they are as addicted to nicotine as ever. I also know multiple people who used the vapes as they were supposedly intended, to slowly break their addiction and now they neither vape nor smoke.

I never said that kids should be vaping, but I did say that the fruity flavors are not made or marketed just for them, like many posters in this thread keep erroneously insisting ad nauseum.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
They do sell vaping liquid without any nicotine and at varying nicotine levels. Everybody I know who vapes or vaped (all adults) use it for smoking cessation. It works for some better than others. As I said earlier, it didn't work for me so I stopped (I preferred cigarettes, sadly). I know many people who successfully quit smoking but show no sign of ever quitting vaping. It's probably an improvement for their health as there are less chemicals in their system now, but they are as addicted to nicotine as ever. I also know multiple people who used the vapes as they were supposedly intended, to slowly break their addiction and now they neither vape nor smoke.

I never said that kids should be vaping, but I did say that the fruity flavors are not made or marketed just for them, like many posters in this thread keep erroneously insisting ad nauseum.
I do think that the flavors are more teen/young adult friendly. Not that older people wouldn't use the flavored vape but teens and young adults would more likely be drawn to that. See what I'm saying?

Old 11-23-2018, 07:06 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I do think that the flavors are more teen/young adult friendly. Not that older people wouldn't use the flavored vape but teens and young adults would more likely be drawn to that. See what I'm saying?
No, because I'm basing what I'm saying on what I've actually seen and done myself. Almost all people who vape prefer the flavored vapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events