Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 01:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Our government wants to ban certain flavors. Really? Flavors!!
That's sick. That's an indication of a government out of control from too much power.

Follow the money. Government is pissed that kids found a way to avoid paying those high tobacco taxes. Follow all the lost revenues and you'll understand why flavors are about to be banned.
I think you don't understand the issue and look more at the idea that government wants to ban something. When it comes to vaping and e-cig culture, it isn't as limited to traditional tobacco, menthol and mint flavors and opened more similar to cigars and then some. There are a lot of flavors that are trendy to high schoolers and market it much more closely to high schoolers. It is the same as R.J. Reynolds having Joe Camel who was a cartoon character in the 1990's market Camel cigarettes and monster truck shows (which are largely family sports, even more so now.) Since the 1990's due to societal changes tobacco (smokeless and smoked) aren't as prevalent. I am fine with e-cig and vape used to replace cigarettes, but the problem is the marketing of many whether flavor or social media has been in Joe Camel like ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 02:26 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Many of the old 'smoke shops' also sold rolling papers and some sold bongs in states where marijuana was illegal.
That is common here. Bongs, pipes, papers, etc... anything that can be used for herbs and tobacco are also applicable for marijuana. I have a toke, spoon, and a pipe myself... all usable for tobacco, pipe tobacco, etc. They are not illegal. Marijuana itself is illegal.

However, just like vape hardware... they are supposedly illegal to sell to minors. Incidentally, NJ is suppose to legalize marijuana as well.

Quote:
Right now the whole Country seems to be pushing for recreational marijuana sales. Can any of the vaping hardware be used for other drugs? I am just trying to understand this need for a new habit.
I have a small vape tank with built in battery for dosing my asthma medication. It replaces the inhalers that got banned more than 10 years ago because they used a small amount CFCs. Another stupid regulation... left a bunch of people who have mild asthma that depended on inhalers without any other option. Just like a pipe to turn an herb/tobacco into smoke by burning, vape simply takes a liquid and vaporizes it. You can potentially put anything in there.... yes even Marijuana extracts.

A few of my friends actually prefer marijuana in vape form.... it doesn't have the smell that bothers a lot of people. Vape with marijuana smells just like whatever solution it is placed in.... almost no scent of marijuana.

Quote:
The kids seem to find ways around every obstacle placed in their way. Many of them want to show other 'kids' they are grownup by doing drugs (I hope that all kids do not think of grownups as simply drug users). I also hope there are a few kids left that take a practical, no drug, approach to growing up!
As I said, the only way is proper parenting. My parents allowed me to start drinking at age 10-11. The rule was I wasn't allowed to leave the home after just one drink. This taught me responsible drinking at a very young age. When I went to college, my friends who were new to the alcohol, another drug, to over drink irresponsible and bing drink. For me, it was just like any other drink that is used moderately.

Till this day... I am the designated driver in my group. I also carry a breathalyzer and know just how much I should drink and how long it takes to metabolize.

If you depend on external factors (laws, school etc) rather than teach responsibility to children, no amount of law legislature will teach it to them... people will find a way regardless. ... children too.

PS. Smokers and Vapers... do it responsibly... always... One thing that is nice about vaping is when a person is approaching to walk by me, it stops producing smoke as soon as my finger is lifted off of the trigger. That way I make sure the smoke isn't present when they pass by.... unlike burnt tobacco that constantly making smoke.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think you don't understand the issue and look more at the idea that government wants to ban something. When it comes to vaping and e-cig culture, it isn't as limited to traditional tobacco, menthol and mint flavors and opened more similar to cigars and then some. There are a lot of flavors that are trendy to high schoolers and market it much more closely to high schoolers. It is the same as R.J. Reynolds having Joe Camel who was a cartoon character in the 1990's market Camel cigarettes and monster truck shows (which are largely family sports, even more so now.) Since the 1990's due to societal changes tobacco (smokeless and smoked) aren't as prevalent. I am fine with e-cig and vape used to replace cigarettes, but the problem is the marketing of many whether flavor or social media has been in Joe Camel like ways.

Again... the most popular flavors among adults are the same as the trendy flavors that are based on candies fruits etc. You simply have to do a search.... tobacco vapes are among the least popular unless also mixed in with other flavors.

This is like saying adults do not like desserts.... only children do...

When I first found this thread, I was vaping menthols and mixed berry from Naked100. Now I am switched over to something more warming... Churros Cinnamon and vanilla (FJ's E-liquid). AND I am also avid cigar smoker. vaping and smoking tobacco are quite different.... just because you smoked tobacco doesn't mean you cannot also like the 100s of flavors in vaping.

Many also mix their own flavors... its quite easily done and doesn't have the large capital to grow/process tobacco. Naked100 for example spawned from a parent company that produced the same flavoring used in yogurts.

I do agree though... some of the packaging shouldn't be allowed... just like the cartoon Camel. Certainly they need to do something about accessibility by children. For starters they shouldn't allow regular retailers such as Wish.com also sell vape hardware along side other merchandise (even toys). Parents don't realize when they give access to those general retailers to their children. Amazon doesn't last time I checked... a few pouches only. I get my stuff through online vape stores specifically for vaping and locally. Obviously, parents are going to know what is going on if their child browses or asks for accounts on those websites. I was a bit shocked when I found spare tanks and mods on Wish.com... even my children sometimes browse through that website.

Last edited by usayit; 11-17-2018 at 02:46 PM..

Old 11-17-2018, 02:50 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,753,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Again... the most popular flavors among adults are the same as the trendy flavors that are based on candies fruits etc. You simply have to do a search.... tobacco vapes are among the least popular unless also mixed in with other flavors.

This is like saying adults do not like desserts.... only children do...
No, it's saying that adults don't tend to like candy flavors outside of a candy dish, and flavored cigarettes other than menthol have never made any inroads in the market.

There are undoubtedly adults who are totally squee'd out because they can suck in black cherry flavor. But if you're arguing that this entire product segment, especially Juul as a line and the candy-box packaging of the candy flavor line, are not aimed at a very young market, you've got an uphill road.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
No, it's saying that adults don't tend to like candy flavors outside of a candy dish, and flavored cigarettes other than menthol have never made any inroads in the market.
Again... not true.

Local store (yes they do check IDs) sell several times more fruit, sweet, and candy based flavors than tobacco. Smoking candy vape is akin to candy dish.

Zamplebox is one of the largest vape only distributors.....

https://www.zamplebox.com/e-liquid-a...-juice-flavors

This is their best for 2017 list

#1 Best E-Liquid of the Year – Killer Kustard Strawberry Vapestasia
Best Cinnamon Vape – Churronimo FJ’s
Best Sour Vape – Strawberry Sour Straws Bazooka
Best Cream Vape – Frankie Fatback Five-O
Best Menthol Vape – Beta Alternativ
Best Milk Vape – Strawberry Milk Moo
Best Drink Vape – Tsunami Ronin
Best Candy Vape – Blue Razz Emoji
Best Tobacco Vape – Royalty II Vapetasia
Best Fruit Vape – P.P.C.C. Pachamama
Best Cereal Vape – Toucan Cali Stream
Best Dessert Vape – Pancake Gost Vapor

Only one Tobacco vape on the list.

Do a search on various sources for and reviewers (yes adult reviewers) for their top picks. It is almost always dominated by flavors that are not tobacco based flavors. Youtube has a few channels with followers.... all are adults.

If you are a cigarette smoker and try vaping for the first time, you will absolutely know right from the first puff that it is not a replacement for cigarettes but rather an alternative.... safer?... maybe yes... maybe no... I have a few cigarette smoking friends that tried and they didn't like it.

Last edited by usayit; 11-17-2018 at 03:06 PM..

Old 11-17-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Again... not true.

Local store (yes they do check IDs) sell several times more fruit, sweet, and candy based flavors than tobacco. Smoking candy vape is akin to candy dish.

Zamplebox is one of the largest vape only distributors.....

https://www.zamplebox.com/e-liquid-a...-juice-flavors

This is their best for 2017 list

#1 Best E-Liquid of the Year – Killer Kustard Strawberry Vapestasia
Best Cinnamon Vape – Churronimo FJ’s
Best Sour Vape – Strawberry Sour Straws Bazooka
Best Cream Vape – Frankie Fatback Five-O
Best Menthol Vape – Beta Alternativ
Best Milk Vape – Strawberry Milk Moo
Best Drink Vape – Tsunami Ronin
Best Candy Vape – Blue Razz Emoji
Best Tobacco Vape – Royalty II Vapetasia
Best Fruit Vape – P.P.C.C. Pachamama
Best Cereal Vape – Toucan Cali Stream
Best Dessert Vape – Pancake Gost Vapor

Only one Tobacco vape on the list.

Do a search on various sources for and reviewers (yes adult reviewers) for their top picks. It is almost always dominated by flavors that are not tobacco based flavors. Youtube has a few channels with followers.... all are adults.
You are almost literally blowing smoke up our collective posterior. Waving your hands, quoting supposedly adult reviewers, listing the most popular flavors and saying that somehow you know it's all adults driving this process is just nonsense.

When you have any kind of validated or third-party stats, get back to us.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
You are almost literally blowing smoke up our collective posterior. Waving your hands, quoting supposedly adult reviewers, listing the most popular flavors and saying that somehow you know it's all adults driving this process is just nonsense.

And you have no idea what you are talking about....

I am a cigar smoker (20+ years).... I like vaping (1-2 years)... but I don't like tobacco flavorings in my vapes. I still enjoy a cigar at home with a bottle of whiskey.

Why don't you go to your reputable local store that checks IDs and ask them yourself. Non tobacco flavored is outnumbered in selection several times over for a good reason. Watch the people that come in and the flavors they buy.... they are all adults.

naked100.com was one of the first vape juice manufacturers that spawned off a parent company for commercial food flavorings. They have 14 fruit flavorings and only 3 tobacco varieties. And no they don't market towards children....

Whats the point of participating in a forum when all you will do is only accept your preconceived notions. I could show you dozens of sites that indicate so... and you'll just say its not true... why even participate in this thread at this point? You know there is no central authority and stats on the subjectivity of food products.... who is the central authority validated on pizza? Please... that's asinine.

And yes... Zamplebox is the #1 distributor online who distributes 100s of brands... so yes that's about as third part authority you are going to get.

Last edited by usayit; 11-17-2018 at 03:23 PM..

Old 11-17-2018, 03:32 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:

https://ecigarettereviewed.com/best-e-juice

You'll have to do a bit of digging, but not much, to verify it's not a bunch of tobacco flavors. It's not validated, but it's a much better data source than someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

edit: Dug a bit.

There you go, 74% of adults overall use non-tobacco flavors, 8.7% tobacco, 12.6% unflavored.
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...nd_adult_users

Download full report as PDF, table on page 16. Probably higher now, that's older data. Older adults (30+) first use was about 50/50 tobacco or non-tobacco flavored. Regular use, well, even among older adults seven times as many of them prefer "kiddie flavors" to tobacco.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-17-2018 at 03:46 PM..

Old 11-17-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
And you have no idea what you are talking about....
Okay, get back to us when you understand the difference between anecdotal and statistical information.

You being a cigar smoker for 20 years gives you absolutely zero credibility in speaking for the market audience of an entire industry. And, honest, we don't really care what your individual preferences are here.

Go find data, not opinions, blog posts or marketing "top selling flavors" lists.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:35 PM

Data doesn't exist because no one needs it or funds it. Find the validated data on other food products... That is an asinine request you know isn't possible.

Why don't you find validated data to back your statements up?

Again you don't know what you are taking about

Being a smoker and vaper makes me a lot more credible than you. People who don't know what they are taking about have only recourse... To marginalize others statements... It doesn't change that they don't know anything about the topic themselves.

Last edited by usayit; 11-17-2018 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events