Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 04:49 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I know! Isn't it ridiculous? I find it very odd that they're trying to ban flavors rather than the nicotine, which is what they really object to.

But it's government inspired, so I'm not sure it's supposed to make sense.
To be fair, the flavors might be more harmful than the nicotine is. Nicotine itself, while highly addictive, is as far as we know fairly harmless. Obviously it's toxic if you take too much of it and is addictive but otherwise it may not even be that bad for you at all. It's really hard to tell as nicotine in the absence of tobacco use just isn't that well studied. There's just the knee-jerk reaction to nicotine bad. It probably is, but how bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 04:50 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
I know! Isn't it ridiculous? I find it very odd that they're trying to ban flavors rather than the nicotine, which is what they really object to.

But it's government inspired, so I'm not sure it's supposed to make sense.
And anything can be made absurd by deliberately tangling up the facts.

Nicotine is a legal substance that can be sold only to adults. There are no grounds on which to "ban it."

There is no ban of, nor any planned, of the flavored vape loads without nicotine.

There is a movement to ban candy-flavored vape loads with nicotine, which for all their squee adult fan base, are targeted at, sold to and primarily used by underage users. If the stuff can only be had in 'flavors' that are basically as nasty as cigarette smoke, they won't have a hundredth the appeal to nonsmokers.

But you seem to have a problem with that.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:51 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
And anything can be made absurd by deliberately tangling up the facts.

Nicotine is a legal substance that can be sold only to adults. There are no grounds on which to "ban it."

There is no ban of, nor any planned, of the flavored vape loads without nicotine.

There is a movement to ban candy-flavored vape loads with nicotine, which for all their squee adult fan base, are targeted at, sold to and primarily used by underage users. If the stuff can only be had in 'flavors' that are basically as nasty as cigarette smoke, they won't have a hundredth the appeal to nonsmokers.

But you seem to have a problem with that.
We basically removed candy cigarettes although it was not an official ban: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_cigarette. I quote: "In America it was reported erroneously in 2010 that the Family Smoking and Prevention Control Act bans candy cigarettes. However, the rule bans any form of added flavoring in tobacco cigarettes other than menthol." There are other countries that have banned candy cigarettes according to that article.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:22 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I quit smoking a year ago and turned to vapes. It's not a cigarette but it satisfies the need and I could not have quit without it.
You're deluding yourself if you think that you have "quit smoking" by "vaping instead".

Old 11-19-2018, 06:04 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
We do not ID people for Ecigs at our stores, I wasnt aware any states were doing this though.

Something I do not get, how is 'big tobacco' still BIG in modern times? IF the figures are correct and hardly anyone is smoking anymore, its seems logical to assume the tobacco companies must be hanging on by a thread, and very close to being bankrupt..

Point is, a dying industry such a this, surely ,they would not be in a position to threaten or influence lawmakers of any state.
It’s almost 10 bucks for a pack of smokes. And plenty of people still smoke. Back when I smoked it wa somewhere around 3.50. Big tobacco has overseas sales and its not like tobacco companies are not allowed to invest in other venues. They are nowhere near close to bankrupt

Old 11-19-2018, 06:46 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
To be fair, the flavors might be more harmful than the nicotine is. Nicotine itself, while highly addictive, is as far as we know fairly harmless. Obviously it's toxic if you take too much of it and is addictive but otherwise it may not even be that bad for you at all. It's really hard to tell as nicotine in the absence of tobacco use just isn't that well studied. There's just the knee-jerk reaction to nicotine bad. It probably is, but how bad?
Nicotine is poison.

Butterscotch and cherry are not.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:54 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Nicotine is poison.

Butterscotch and cherry are not.
In theory you are right, but to be fair, we do not know the exact long-term effects of the vape nicotine let alone vape flavors with or without nicotine. We wont until the 2050's the earliest likely.

The problem I see is teens are drawn to it by the flavors and of course social media marketing similar to the Joe Camel of the 1990's. Juul has ended this but they used celebrities and colorful trendy ads. The kids who use may or may not know they are using a nicotine flavored juice. If they are told they are flavored, they can still get nicotine albeit trace amounts. The sales ban Juul and others are looking at without government intervention is a good step, but it isn't fool proof.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:42 AM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
We do not ID people for Ecigs at our stores, I wasnt aware any states were doing this though.

Something I do not get, how is 'big tobacco' still BIG in modern times? IF the figures are correct and hardly anyone is smoking anymore, its seems logical to assume the tobacco companies must be hanging on by a thread, and very close to being bankrupt..

Point is, a dying industry such a this, surely ,they would not be in a position to threaten or influence lawmakers of any state.
The tobacco industry is not dying.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-tob...nce-1492968698

15% of Americans still smoke, that is 37 million. Now big tobacco has ecigarettes and is poised to enter the cannabis industry as soon as it is legalized here.

I would put ecigarettes being as harmful as drinking coffee. I would rather see kids doing that than regular cigarettes.

We have too many regulations as it is. The FDA needs to stand down on this one. In a perfect world no one is addicted to anything but I am a realist and think its better to pick our poison instead of believing regulations are the panacea.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:28 AM

579 posts, read 367,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Instead of banning a product that people want, how about go after the stores that are ILLEGALLY selling these products to minors????

Because that doesn't further the agenda of the anti-smoking/anti-vaping crusade.

No one is suggesting banning flavored vodka, because alcohol is popular (despite the fact that minors like drinking flavored vodka).

The nanny-staters pull the "but think of the children" card in their quest to control everyone.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:29 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times
Is it nicotine that's harmful, or tar? I thought tar was the carcinogen in cigarette smoke and nicotine wasn't harmful. Doesn't marijuana smoke contain tar?

The anti-vaping madness seems like "Reefer Madness" 80 years later. It's a crowd reaction. People are against vaping because other people are against vaping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events