Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 10:14 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Which is why, other than the original Marlboro man, you never see anyone over the apparent age of about 25 in a cigarette ad. And even most of the MarlMen were arguably under 30.

There are only three markets for tobacco products: New smokers, who statistics show to be almost wholly under 18-19 and skewing much younger; smokers dissatisfied with their brand, which is a miniscule number centered on about age 23-25, and "upscale" pitches for things like Nat Sherman brands and cigars, a niche pitch.

in other words... either the vast majority of cigarette marketing is aimed at a very young market, or it's a complete waste of money and time.
I would say there is also "switch" marketing for current smokers. And this has gone on for years. My father was a Camel smoker as soon as I recognized the cigarette packs, but later he went to Marlboro cigarettes before he sit thanks to Ziban 30 years ago. The different brands try to go after each other's market share. Let's face it, the smoking market while big has people deciding between Winstons, Camels, Marlboro, Newport (to an extent for Men but mostly women), etc. Smokeless tobacco has this Redman, Kodiak and Skoal. The market isn't really increasing and the e-cigarettes and vape markets are eating into the cigarette market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 11:08 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I would say there is also "switch" marketing for current smokers. And this has gone on for years. My father was a Camel smoker as soon as I recognized the cigarette packs, but later he went to Marlboro cigarettes before he sit thanks to Ziban 30 years ago. The different brands try to go after each other's market share. Let's face it, the smoking market while big has people deciding between Winstons, Camels, Marlboro, Newport (to an extent for Men but mostly women), etc. Smokeless tobacco has this Redman, Kodiak and Skoal. The market isn't really increasing and the e-cigarettes and vape markets are eating into the cigarette market.
Some of the smaller brands do this, but Altria/marlboro, does not have to resort to that.

Next time you are in a store or gas station, take a look at the cigarette rack behind the cashier...there is a reason why the top 4-6 shelves are ALL marlboro, brands like RJ reynolds (camel, Newport, etc) and Lorillard has barely any space, this is very expensive real estate!

In fact, some brands, cannot even afford to have their cigs in the public view on the racks, we must keep certain brands behind a closed door or sign for this reason, in KY, OH and IN, Doral, Salem, and some others are in this category.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:30 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
I would say there is also "switch" marketing for current smokers.
I already said there was, more than once. It's possible that most advertising up through maybe the 1950s was that - competitive-edge marketing trying to get smokers to switch to a new brand or feature. And I doubt any company is going to shoo away someone who switches from Camel to Marlboro at 45.

But it's become well established that almost no one starts smoking past 18-19, and that after a short period of churn (about 20-25) smokers stay with a brand for life. It takes some huge upheaval to get a switch - the couple of eras of cheap cigarettes lured smokers from pricier brands, and people will still switch to the low-name/no-name stuff like Doral when they are economically forced to. And there is a perpetual thread of marketing for "premium" brands, and a small percentage of smokers who step up to the gold-ring, top-name brands from the mass brands.

But the big-picture, bottom-line reality is that marketing is about increasing sales, and the only area where cigarette makers can do so is the youth market - those who have not yet started smoking, and the short window of those who have not coffin-nailed down a brand. There is essentially no value to marketing to the over-30 smoker, at all. They aren't going to quit. They're very unlikely to switch brands, and if they do, it will be shelf-price reality that makes them do it, not the ads.

It is a little incomplete but wholly accurate to say that tobacco advertising is aimed at kids, regardless of its composition or venue. There is no other market to lure or sway.

Quote:
The market isn't really increasing and the e-cigarettes and vape markets are eating into the cigarette market.
If you're making a narrow argument that smoked-tobacco markets are not increasing, that's almost certainly true. If you aren't aware that the nicotine-consuming market has steadily grown over the last several years, driven by the explosion of vape materials and their intense marketing, you have your head in the ashtray sand. And 95% of those who smoke/vape for a year will essentially never quit. Every 16yo who sucks down ten or twelve Juul pods is a customer for life... no further marketing or pressure needed.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Some of the smaller brands do this, but Altria/marlboro, does not have to resort to that.

Next time you are in a store or gas station, take a look at the cigarette rack behind the cashier...there is a reason why the top 4-6 shelves are ALL marlboro, brands like RJ reynolds (camel, Newport, etc) and Lorillard has barely any space, this is very expensive real estate!

In fact, some brands, cannot even afford to have their cigs in the public view on the racks, we must keep certain brands behind a closed door or sign for this reason, in KY, OH and IN, Doral, Salem, and some others are in this category.
I understand that. I remember when I worked in a gas station the main ones we sold were Marlboros which were on the top racks. Winston was surprisingly low and behind the lotto machine and display.

I don't know how loyal smokers are to the brand of choice. It would be yet another interesting smoking topic to study.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I don't know how loyal smokers are to the brand of choice. It would be yet another interesting smoking topic to study.
It's been studied to death both inside and outside the industry.

The answer is "very."

Old 12-03-2018, 09:33 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
I understand that. I remember when I worked in a gas station the main ones we sold were Marlboros which were on the top racks. Winston was surprisingly low and behind the lotto machine and display.

In our stores, Winston brand only has 4 spots, on the lowest shelf, they are not very popular here.

Brand loyalty is something smokers adhere to, unless they can get deals on another brand. RJ Reynolds has been sending reps out to stand in the stores, and they will give adult customers an instant coupon for a pack of camels for $1. (normally priced $5.60), so that really attracts smokers of other brands.

Last year, Marlboro set up a little kiosk in the stores and were handing out little 4 packs of their cigarettes, it only had 4 cigarettes in it, and they were giving them away, lets just say it was a mad house that day. I think they went thru close to a pallet load, but normally its rare for Marlboro to do anything like that...they really dont have to either, they are not hurting for business!

Old 12-03-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Last year, Marlboro set up a little kiosk in the stores and were handing out little 4 packs of their cigarettes, it only had 4 cigarettes in it, and they were giving them away, lets just say it was a mad house that day. I think they went thru close to a pallet load, but normally its rare for Marlboro to do anything like that...they really dont have to either, they are not hurting for business!
Used to be very common. My sister worked at least three summers being a cigarette girl, handing out those little four packs, at the mall my mother managed. This was around 1970 to 74.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:49 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Here's a new article about the social media aspect of all this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wtop.co...eneration/amp/

Leading e-cigarette company Juul Labs has tried to distance itself from a vast social media presence that experts say drives its popularity among teens. But a CNN investigation sheds new light on how the company was encouraging — and at times paying for — social media users to promote its nicotine-filled product to thousands of their followers.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
But a CNN investigation sheds new light on how the company was encouraging — and at times paying for — social media users to promote its nicotine-filled product to thousands of their followers.
Buddy shills. Becoming very common. For trivial cost, people can be induced to shill a product to friends, family and followers and the impact is both huge and easily measurable. I'd bet many people here have had a "friend" go gaga over a consumer product and blab excitedly to all about it.

I'm pretty sure we've seen instances of it here, too. My fuzzy touchstone is when it's a first post that seems uncommonly well organized (links to product and reviews, etc.) and has a stagey feel.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:59 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Here's a new article about the social media aspect of all this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wtop.co...eneration/amp/

Leading e-cigarette company Juul Labs has tried to distance itself from a vast social media presence that experts say drives its popularity among teens. But a CNN investigation sheds new light on how the company was encouraging — and at times paying for — social media users to promote its nicotine-filled product to thousands of their followers.
Really long article I just got reading through, at least most of it. Amazing what Juul did, and tried to deny and backtrack on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events