Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 07:17 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times

Advertisements

The issue isn't weight. It's seated hip width. Simple solution. Publish seat widths online. Then set up an empty seat in the check in area the same way they have those set ups to measure carry on luggage.

The problem is that there is no way for airlines to enforce buying two seats when most people book online and most planes are flying full.

This situation could have been avoided if the couple just booked in separate aisles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 07:49 PM

30,145 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The issue isn't weight. It's seated hip width. Simple solution. Publish seat widths online. Then set up an empty seat in the check in area the same way they have those set ups to measure carry on luggage.

The problem is that there is no way for airlines to enforce buying two seats when most people book online and most planes are flying full.

This situation could have been avoided if the couple just booked in separate aisles.
I guess that is why they did not book seats next to each other, they did not want a uncomfortable flight. Obviously they don't care about anyone else.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:06 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
It’s acknowledging reality. At least half the population is overweight and a thirds obese. That third is a lot of people. Keeping seat size as is sure isn’t disincentiving lol.

And of course we’re just shooting off here because the airlines have no intention of changing a thing. There’s not gonna be an end to situations like these just like I’ll need to continue to experience discomfort when someone needs to recline lol.
I don't think I have ever flown when I did not recline, as well as the person in front of me. That has never bothered me. Seats just don't recline that much - I've never understood why anyone would be bothered by that. But having someone beside me that so large that they are overflowing their seat into mine - THAT I have a problem with.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:29 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't think I have ever flown when I did not recline, as well as the person in front of me. That has never bothered me. Seats just don't recline that much - I've never understood why anyone would be bothered by that. But having someone beside me that so large that they are overflowing their seat into mine - THAT I have a problem with.
Do you have legs over 35 1/2 inches? If not then I don’t expect you to “understand why I would be botheredâ€. I have a hard seat against my kneecaps, It’s not comfortable but i deal with it. You have a problem with someone’s weight....so...we all have our problems. Neither of which will be solved unless we personally relocate or upgrade.

And people don’t need to be dicks when they experience airplane frustration.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:56 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Do you have legs over 35 1/2 inches? If not then I don’t expect you to “understand why I would be botheredâ€. I have a hard seat against my kneecaps, It’s not comfortable but i deal with it. You have a problem with someone’s weight....so...we all have our problems. Neither of which will be solved unless we personally relocate or upgrade.

And people don’t need to be dicks when they experience airplane frustration.
You should always try to get the exit row, or the front row seats. I'm 5'7", my BF is 5'10", and neither of us have experienced any discomfort other than just the normal "being stuck in an airplane seat" for a few hours. Honestly I usually stretch out my legs under the seat in front of me, so the reclined seat never bothers me.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:36 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You should always try to get the exit row, or the front row seats.
Most ordinary people have little chance of getting those seats. They are highly sought after, and are usually reserved for elite flyers who have status with the airline.

That’s one of the reasons we’re seeing so many “I was squished!†and “ Ow, my knees!†stories now: with planes flying so full and the more desireable seats being reserved for elites or sold for a higher price, the airlines have lost a major buffer. Back when everyone had to check in at the ticket counter and planes had lots of empty middle seats, it used to be pretty easy for the agent at the ticket counter to eyeball the passengers and give a very tall person a seat in the exit row or bulkhead, and an obese person an aisle or window seat adjacent to an empty middle seat. That flexibility is unfortunately gone.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:51 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
That woman should do something with her hair.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:01 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Airlines continue to squeeze people, literally, and more incidents like this will continue to happen.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:43 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This has happened with such insane frequency that it is unconscionable that there hasn't been regulation or industry change on the approach to the seating.

How about the fact that it's unsafe to be sandwiched in by people who don't fit in their seats? How about the back/neck/joint pain you get from contorting yourself away the entire flight?

I mean, come on.
Anyone who flies frequently enough has experienced this. I typically book early enough and always get an aisle seat...so at least you only get squished from one side if you have a large person in the center seat.

Three times come to mine. One was a woman sitting next to me on a smaller commuter plane with just two seats on each side. I was in the window seat and she was a very pleasant woman...but very large, and it I had about 75% of my seat available to fit my shoulders in....so basically I sat twisted and ended up with a backache from being in that position for 45 minutes.

Second time, I was in a center seat and a former baseball player comes toddling down the aisle, and he's about 275 and shaped like an apple....again, I'm twisted the entire time.

Third time was in a FULL movie theater (Blair Witch Project) and there was one seat left in our row, so the told us all to move towards the center to free up seats. This 350 pounder plunks down in the seat next to me....that's the best way to make a movie unenjoyable. Twisted like a pretzel the entire time with my head basically on my wife's shoulder the entire time. And....it was a rotten movie anyway, as many of you may recall...lol.

I don't care how large you wish to be, that's between you and your Doritos, your doctor or your scale....but when you're in a public space, and you're basically demanding part of the space I paid for....my 18" or whatever the seat width happens to be, how is that not wrong on your part ?

The airlines charge for every other single thing these days....I can't believe they won't settle on a charge for the issue of taking up 110 or 120% of your allocated and paid for seat space. Of course this only causes other passengers to be uncomfortable.....and to anyone that flies coach these days, it's obvious they don't' really care about that much anymore.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:34 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
I dont fly because:Im 6'4" and the only place I can sit comfortably is the emergency rows.
2. TSA hastle
3.New smaller seats
4.People too large for one seat.
5.Pets on board
6.People bringing all their stuff on board instead of the baggage hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events