Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2024, 12:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The topic doesn't attract me in itself, the reaction to the topic is of minor interest to me. You may say a subtle distinction, but a distinction nevertheless.

I fully understand that people are interested, but I don't believe that interest creates an obligation.
Agree with everything you've said, but especially with what I've quoted. I would add that pandering to the yellow press and social media conspiracy nonsense wouldn't be a wise precedent for the royals to set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I thought one of our posters thought it was only American media that was reporting all of this?
If you're talking about me, the term I actually used was U.S. citizens, not American media. As in American citizens making more conspiracy noise about it online than their UK counterparts. It's what I meant in post #95 in response to a comment in which you conflated U.S. citizens with American media:

Quote:
That wasn't quite what I meant, though.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-20-2024 at 01:56 PM..

Old 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
I'm one of the Americans who had to Google "who is Kate Middleton?".

Old 03-20-2024, 03:30 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This. No, no one is "entitled" to a statement about someone else's personal health. But when your position in life requires you to be constantly in the public eye, you can only expect that the public will want to know major facts about your life. No one needs to know what you had for breakfast or what color underwear you're wearing, but a surgical operation so major that you're out of commission for more than two months? Of course people are curious and concerned. And this doesn't even necessarily have to do with royalty. If the First Lady (US President's wife) was in a similar position, the public would naturally want to have some clarity on her, too, and not be left wondering where she'd disappeared to for weeks on end.

Because really, in this day and age, it's almost impossible to fathom a planned abdominal surgery on a youngish, healthy woman that takes two and a half months for recovery, and that's one reason people are scratching their heads.

If you need a break and just want people to leave you alone, why not say "I'm doing great, going on a ten-week holiday, see you soon!"?
But the bottom line, if someone (anyone, with the possible exception of a major world leader) says "my private health information is just that ... private," then people need to accept that. Even if they don't explicitly state that; silence speaks the same message. Just because people have a voracious appetite to know the truth, that doesn't mean they have any right to it.

Old 03-20-2024, 03:52 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
But the bottom line, if someone (anyone, with the possible exception of a major world leader) says "my private health information is just that ... private," then people need to accept that. Even if they don't explicitly state that; silence speaks the same message. Just because people have a voracious appetite to know the truth, that doesn't mean they have any right to it.
If she wants to be a "working royal" they are a public figure. Not a totally private person.

Old 03-20-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If she wants to be a "working royal" they are a public figure. Not a totally private person.
Although this seems to be the consensus of the echo chamber, Queen Elizabeth was a "working royal," yet declined to put every detail of her health issues on blast to satiate the whims of the internet peanut galley.

Old 03-20-2024, 06:38 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My point is that the general topic attracts you. And that general topic seems to attract a wide audience in Britain, and the States, and to some extent in many parts of the world.

These folks want public attention...except when they don't want it. In that sense, they are not in control of their own destiny. They can walk away from it all anytime they wish. Once again, all they have to do to stop all the scrutiny about this particular topic is to release an honest statement about what the situation is. In the end, we are almost certain to know the truth, whether it is good or bad. In today's world, when it comes to the rich and famous, little remains a secret. It's part of that life style that they choose.
I disagree with this to an extent. These are not celebrities or politicians who actively seek a public role, these are for the most part people who are born into public life. They are raised in a spotlight and don't really have the option to 'just walk away', and even if they attempt it when they're older, people are still interested in the why and wherefore.
AND... I'll go out on a limb and say that even though Kate married into the spotlight, she didn't do it as a choice to thrust herself into the public eye, she did it because she fell in love with a fellow student, knowing the downside of the scrutiny she would fall under. How she chooses to deal with that scrutiny is entirely up to her IMO.

Old 03-20-2024, 06:49 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Being a public figure doesn’t mean sacrificing every bit of privacy, especially when it comes to matters of health.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:18 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
It was announced that Catherine Princess of Wales (she is not longer Kate Middleton) would not be appearing in public until after Easter.
In the UK and here too, Easter concludes on Monday 1st April, after which time some concern might be appropriate.
There is a long history of royal consorts being known by their maiden names if you will long after their marriage.

Catherine of Aragon

Anne of Austria

And so it goes....

Katherine/Catherine Middleton is streets better than "princess" Katherine/Catherine as no such person exists.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:51 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Although this seems to be the consensus of the echo chamber, Queen Elizabeth was a "working royal," yet declined to put every detail of her health issues on blast to satiate the whims of the internet peanut galley.
And there were times when Queen Elizabeth was severely criticized for having lost her bond with her subjects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events