Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2020, 07:50 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times

Advertisements

I havent been here in quite a while. Just havent been up to it -- trying to get over losing Lulu and a few other sad things that life has thrown at me.

I hope all of you had a nice Christmas. When I was working (before I retired)I used to love the week between Christmas and New Year's. I never took vacation that week because I thought those with families deserved to take it instead and I loved driving to and from work because the traffic was almost non-existent then. When you live in a high-traffic city like mine, you can really appreciate the lack of traffic.

I saw this picture a while back and smiled so much that I thought I'd share it with youall. It mentions a birthday gift but I think it could also be applied to a Christmas gift.
Attached Thumbnails
Freebie chat part 3-christmas-gift-2.jpg  

Old 12-27-2020, 03:45 PM

5,152 posts, read 1,419,367 times
I have been busy as well and not able to get on here I was baking some goodies for Christmas and I had to drive them to my mom, sisters and daughters homes since we could not see them at Christmas I left a little something outside the door! Been putting everything away this weekend.

I hope that everyone here had a Merry Christmas. Staying home for New Years, no where to go!

Old 02-13-2021, 02:05 PM

Brrr. It's cold down here. Temp in Houston is supposed to get down to 22 tomorrow night and into the single digits Monday night, I'm not going anywhere in this weather. My subdivision lost power for a while in a storm two days ago. I wore two flannel nightgowns and fleece-lined socks so I felt ok, but it can get cold in an all-electric house when there's no power.

I saw that Camper's area is going to be cold too. And Ketabcha's area is going to be frightfully cold and dangerous.

What about anyone else? peachrose? Mayvenne? D217? I dont know where youall live but I'll pray that you can stay warm.

Back in 1989 we had a bad freeze like this one. Two days before Christmas. My washer and dryer are in the garage and I didnt think about how the extended freeze back then would affect them. ( I had a doggie door in the side garage door and didnt think to close it off.) I put a load of laundry in the washer and went back into the house. A little while later my neighbor called to tell me that water was running down my driveway. Yikes, the water in my washer pump had frozen and broken the pump. I had to buy a new washer and get it installed -- not easy to do in that weather and at Christmas time.

Last edited by TFW46; 02-13-2021 at 02:21 PM..

Old 02-13-2021, 06:30 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,425,852 times
Hi-- yeah, this winter seems to be answering to the comments we were saying the last few- that oh well it's global warming and what ever happened to winters when it was cold and snowy...........we have that this year. i am in Pa. It's not crazy snow, but we have already had like 2 good sized ones and now there is potentially going to be another one next week. (the snow is still piled up).
Well---stay warm and cozy every one!!

Old 02-13-2021, 07:29 PM

Before Christmas 1989, when my washer pump froze, I had a really bad experience with the cold. It was in February 1989 and Texas was hit with a bad freeze. I had entered a show in Shreveport LA (north Louisiana) and was determined to get there. I took both of my Dobermans in my little Jeep Cherokee Sport 2-door vehicle and headed out.

I hadnt had any experience driving in ice but I figured as long as I stayed on the interstate highways, which I thought would be sanded, I'd be ok. As I drove north on I-45 from Houston to Dallas, I had to stop every so often and wipe the snow off my windshield, since it was coming down faster than my wipers could handle.

I figured that, if I could make it to I-20 to go from Dallas to Shreveport, all would be fine. And I was going for only one day (to the show and back in about 12 hours) so I didnt bring any food except for a few treats for the dogs and me.

Well, once I got to I-20 my real troubles began. There were almost no cars at all on that freeway because it was so iced over. And no trucks had salted down the freeway either. I was scared to death and drove only about 10 miles per hour. At one point I realized that I wouldnt even make it to my destination in time, driving that slow. But I had no choice except to continue driving, as I couldnt see any way to exit the freeway.

Then I saw an 18-wheeler on the overpass ahead of me slide on the ice and go off the overpass. OMG. I turned around and drove the wrong way on the freeway until I came to an entrance ramp, which I used to exit. The ice was so bad that I balely made it to the end of the ramp. I sat there and cried and prayed.

Then a tow truck driver showed up and asked me if I were ok. Crying, I explained to him that I was from out of town and had no idea of how to get out of my dangerous situation. He offered to hook me up and tow me to a motel a few blocks away. He wouldnt let my dogs get in his truck but he was kind enough to tow me for free. And he offered me a drink from his thermos. I thought it was coffee but it was bourbon. Gag. But it warmed me up a bit.

I spent 3 days in that little motel because the roads were too bad to drive. There was no food except for a snack machine, so my dogs and I lived on crackers, cookies and candy bars. It was so slippery that the dogs could not walk without their feet going out from under them when I took them outside to potty.

I had just started a new job the month before and had to call my boss and explain that I wouldnt be back at work for several days. Thank goodness they were understanding.

When I look back on those days, I cant believe how stupid I was as to think I could handle ice and snow. I learned a lesson that day.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:43 PM

No power since Monday at 5:00AM! It just came on now, Wednesday at 3:30PM! That's 2 full days without electricity. And I've had NO WATER for those 2 days. Still no water but at least I can connect to the world again. I have only a desktop computer -- no cell phone with internet access -- so now I'm going to catch up on my emails and read about the outage.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:37 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,013,722 times
Hey all!!

I just wanted to check in real quick. Our power has been on and off since Sunday. Mostly off. I don't think I've ever been so cold. At times I couldn't feel my toe or fingers. Power is on now but not sure how long. Our pipes froze so no water for a few days but you know me, I have 5 -5 gallon jugs plus half a dozen gallon jugs. Finally gave up last night and went to the more home but was saving that for an emergency.. Not wanting to use all the gas running the generator. Did I mention we got 6 inches Sunday? What a Valentine's day gift. It was beautiful but omg, the cold. We are expected to get another 1-3 inches tomorrow!! My heart just breaks thinking of all our wildlife out there.

I may never go winter camping again...

Stay safe ya'll and don't take your power for granted.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:33 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,425,852 times
Wow! So much has happened in just a few days. I am glad you both checked in here but sorry that you have been witthout power ( and heat!!!! and water!!). I hope you get back to normal soon.
We are having more snow and sleet today... but this is somewhat normal or expected in the area. We were spoiled the last fw winters when we hardly had snow at all.
Stay warm everyone. (and good reminder to have all those provisions around. water especially....we do keep quite a bit around and I sometimes think it's too much. Reading what you are going through, I will keep the quantities maintained).

Old 02-18-2021, 07:51 AM

Woke up in my own warn bed this morning to find we still had heat and yes, more snow. Had a hot shower last night and I'm sure that helped with the good sleep and once again feel I can do this. We can take what ever mother nature throws at us... as long as it's over by the weekend! Ha!!! I hate that I have gotten so soft,so spoiled by the things we take for granted. I think this is why we camp. To get back to nature and enjoy it.

The snow is beautiful. Think I'll go watch for awhile.

Ya'll stay safe and warm.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:45 AM

My daughter surprised me by getting me an appointment for the covid19 vaccine.

I don't think I have ever felt so loved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff