Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 02:59 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to do a check in for all us "regulars" - hope you are doing well. Fine here (it is allergy season but other than that, knock on wood - all is well.

Old 03-18-2020, 04:45 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Just wanted to do a check in for all us "regulars" - hope you are doing well. Fine here (it is allergy season but other than that, knock on wood - all is well.

Thanks, Flamingo. I'm doing fine here in Houston. I dont get out much anyway but I did go to the grocery store at 6:00 AM last Sunday to get Lulu's frozen dog food. I dont have a mask (I did order one but it wont arrive until the end of April) -- but I did use Clorox Wipes to hold the cart and to touch anything in the store. Most of the other 20 people who were shopping at that hour were wearing masks and gloves. I think I already posted about that -- but what I didnt post was that one man about my age was behind me in the self-checkout lane. He was wearing a mask and gloves.

We were more than two grocery carts (mine and his) apart, so farther than the recommended distance. As I unloaded my few items from my cart, I made eye contact with him and smiled. I was ok with his not smiling but the look he gave me was downright scary. He looked as though he were angry, maybe angry that I wasnt wearing a mask, maybe angry that I wasnt wearing gloves, maybe just angry that I was in the same store as he. I'm sure that, as this CVirus continues, people will be venting their frustrations on others.

When I have to go back to the store for more frozen dog food, I'll wear a homemade mask and use disposable grocery bags over my hands. And I probably wont make eye contact with anyone.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:21 PM

Glad to hear you are doing okay - things are getting serious. Worried that some are going to get crazy - I know someone who was mugged in the parking lot for her cart of groceries - what is the world coming to?

Old 03-18-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Glad to hear you are doing okay - things are getting serious. Worried that some are going to get crazy - I know someone who was mugged in the parking lot for her cart of groceries - what is the world coming to?

Yes, there have been reports of people being mugged for their masks and also their groceries here too. I'm more afraid of mob mentality than the CVirus.

Back in 2010, when I had gout 24/7 for 3 months in all joints of my foot and was in the ER several times and being taken to various doc appts regularly, I got the swine (H1N1) flu. OMG. 105 fever, coughing, terrible aches everywhere...the one upside was that it made my gout pain not feel so bad in comparison. I had no one to drive me to the ER because I didnt want to expose anyone to it. So I just lay in bed, wanting to die, for 5-6 days. If CVirus is anything like that, God help us all. However, I read that many people who test positive will be asymptomatic.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:10 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Hey everyone!! Just got back from a camping trip with our club. Checked to make sure no one had traveled or had any symptoms. The rv park came and put a notice on the door that no more than 10 at a gathering. Lucy we had a small group, only 10 of us.

Daughter is working from home.

Luckly , I had just stalked up on stuff before all this hit. I think I am a hoarder by nature or am just used to us living so far out that I by Laundry soap three at a time, already had plenty of TP and paper towels on hand. I was well stocked on stuff like dry pasta and rice and my freezer is good.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:32 PM

Glad to hear you are okay! Same here, I've always had extra stuff in my basement mini-grocery and luckily have two fridges w/freezers that are well-stocked - sad that some are still ignoring this and going about shopping every day, gathering in large groups,etc.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:28 PM

I ordered gloves, masks and Face Shields from Amazon over the past weekend. The gloves arrived yesterday. The masks are scheduled to arrive on Saturday (day after tomorrow). And the face shields are scheduled to arrive early next week.

I think I'll like the face shields better because they'll protect the eyes -- and this virus can be transmitted through the eyes as well as the nose and mouth. I plan to go out only to buy Lulu's frozen dog food at the grocery store.

Amazon is delaying delivery of non-virus-related items for a month in order to keep virus--related merchandise in stock and ready to go. I always get the girls next door (my neighbor's grandchildren) Easter baskets/candy and other holiday stuff. Luckily, I ordered their fuzzy baskets (personalized) one day before Amazon announced its new policy. The baskets arrived promptly and the girls will love them. But I waited too long to try to order candy eggs -- any candy wont be delivered until April 21. So I ordered candy from walmart.com and it will be here next week.

I dont know whether I mentioned it -- but I have a large box and I wrote "Please leave food/ groceries in this box". When I'm expecting a delivery I just put the box outside my front door. I've been doing that for over a month.

I dont mind the isolation at all but I know it's hard on a lot of people. I expect this craziness to last through the summer and maybe even later.
Attached Thumbnails
Freebie chat part 3-easter-bunny.jpg   Freebie chat part 3-easter-chick.jpg   Freebie chat part 3-face-shield.jpg  

Old 03-26-2020, 03:46 PM

Curious as to why you bought gloves, masks and face shield? Not trying to be nasty but don't you get things delivered? Supplies are in really short demand for healthcare workers, home health aides, etc.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:30 PM

While Amazon was out of stock on the masks, face shields and gloves for a while, that's no longer the case. I was able to order them and get them all within a week or so. And I didnt order a lot of anything -- just 1 box of gloves, 2 face shields and 2 masks.

Yes, I do have groceries and meals delivered. But, as I've already said, my dog Lulu's frozen dog food (which is sold in my Walmart Neighborhood Market) isnt available for delivery. It's a special dog food that she can gum, since she doesnt have any teeth.

And there are a few groceries that arent available for delivery. If I werent in the store to get Lulu's frozen dog food, I wouldnt be concerned about buying those groceries -- but, as long as I'm in there anyway, I'll get them. They're in the same frozen food cases as her dog food.

I held off on ordering the masks, etc because I figured the hospitals and medical workers need them. But should I ignore the fact that Amazon now has them in stock and available for sale to individuals? I have chronic kidney disease (acute kidney failure) and I also have other health problems that would probably make it problematic if I were to catch this virus. And, since I live alone, there would be no one to care for Lulu. So, while I'm not overly concerned, I am taking precautions to keep her and myself safe.

I probably shouldnt have posted about buying those supplies. I didnt expect to be quizzed about it. I havent stockpiled any merchandise -- I've always had lots of rubbing alcohol, paper products and other stuff on hand -- and I've shared it all with my neighbors in the past few weeks. I guess I should stop posting here for a while.

Last edited by TFW46; 03-26-2020 at 05:47 PM..

Old 03-30-2020, 12:41 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
TFW, I don't see anything wrong at all with you ordering what's readily available on Amazon. There are lots of people that have to go out for one reason or another, my husband still has to go to work as he is considered " essential personnel". My daughter is one of the ones that will be working remotely from home at least until the end of May. Granted she is able to have her stuff delivered you still need to be careful touching the bags or the contents.

I also have ordered some gloves. I am careful what I touch and have ample ( I hope) hand sanitizer, wipes and gloves in the car but then these are normal stock items I always carry. There's no telling what I'm going to get up to way back when we were allowed to venture out and about.

Now to change the subject...

My friend Rita has been moved in with the daughter and is no long able to take care of herself. She has a serious UTI that is caused severe dementia. I talked with her son this morning and she is as of now unable to get in and out of bed alone and has no idea who, or where she is. She is over an hour away from me now and I really don't know where she is.

Life changes quick people.....please don't ever forget that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff