Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2020, 04:57 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times

Advertisements

TFW, I hope you didn't take it personally but face shields? I am concerned because I have friends that are in the health-care field as well as police officers and emergency personnel. I worry about them and their families.

Camper - I'm glad someone was able to take in your friend Rita and agree that things change quickly.

I just wish people would realize to NOT go out unless you need to (wants are different than needs - we can survive on dry cereal if we run our of milk, etc.) - I know I'm grumpy because I have seen (and read) of people that go out everyday to stores (exposing those poor workers - because "they are bored"

Old 03-30-2020, 09:03 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
I don't think this is the place for throwing stones...: shocked:

Old 04-01-2020, 07:10 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
TFW, I hope you didn't take it personally but face shields? I am concerned because I have friends that are in the health-care field as well as police officers and emergency personnel. I worry about them and their families.

Camper - I'm glad someone was able to take in your friend Rita and agree that things change quickly.

I just wish people would realize to NOT go out unless you need to (wants are different than needs - we can survive on dry cereal if we run our of milk, etc.) - I know I'm grumpy because I have seen (and read) of people that go out everyday to stores (exposing those poor workers - because "they are bored"
After months away, I thought I'd take a look to see how you're all faring and find this.

Flamingo, what are you doing? TFW has health issues and like most of us, is not under the age of 60. If she gets this, it could be fatal. Why are you posting things seemingly intended to shame or guilt her for doing what she needs to do to feed her dog and stay alive?

What you're basically saying is, 'I care about my friends so you should suffer and take unnecessary risks'.

I have news for you - people in the health field aren't buying off of Amazon.

And she NEEDS to go out, so please stop.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:20 AM

Now for some good news!!!

My friend Rita called me today!!! She is doing so much better. Sounds like her old self. The apartments ( retirement place) had them under complete lock down. Non one in, no one out. All meals delivered, no social gathering at all. She stopped taking her pills and she wasn't drinking water or even eating. By the time her son got them to let him in, she had developed a serious UTI and it was causing serious dementia. She's now been staying with her daughter and being put on a strict schedule and is on the mend.

I know it's hard these days to take care of our elderly and sometimes there is no choice but please please please check on them as often as you can and visit. OMG, visit. The need to know they are still valued and loved.

She can't move back into her apartment until this is all over so it will be awhile before I can see her but I can't wait.

I'm sorry if this turned into a PSA but now of all times we need to just be kind to each other. This won't last forever and we need our friends to still be our friends when it is over.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Now for some good news!!!

My friend Rita called me today!!! She is doing so much better. Sounds like her old self. The apartments ( retirement place) had them under complete lock down. Non one in, no one out. All meals delivered, no social gathering at all. She stopped taking her pills and she wasn't drinking water or even eating. By the time her son got them to let him in, she had developed a serious UTI and it was causing serious dementia. She's now been staying with her daughter and being put on a strict schedule and is on the mend.

I know it's hard these days to take care of our elderly and sometimes there is no choice but please please please check on them as often as you can and visit. OMG, visit. The need to know they are still valued and loved.

She can't move back into her apartment until this is all over so it will be awhile before I can see her but I can't wait.

I'm sorry if this turned into a PSA but now of all times we need to just be kind to each other. This won't last forever and we need our friends to still be our friends when it is over.
Camper, thank you for a very positive post! I have a question though. Everyone in our area is telling us NOT to visit the elderly because they're so vulnerable.

I'm wondering if this is different from state to state.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Camper, thank you for a very positive post! I have a question though. Everyone in our area is telling us NOT to visit the elderly because they're so vulnerable.

I'm wondering if this is different from state to state.
All I can tell you about is my area which is Texas. There is NO in or out at the retirement homes or nursing homes. Had a friend who's husband was having seizures ( again, aged and NOT drinking water) and she was not allowed into the hospital at all. I fell another PSA coming about drinking water people...

Another friend had a family member pass away. NO funeral services, they are doing drive bys from your car.

This thing is so serious people. Please everyone stay safe and STOP hoarding. It's ok to have extra ( I do) but you do not need 12 cases of 45 rolls of anything.

One more PSA... Wash you dang hands. Remember what your mother told you.." you see with your eyes, not your hands".

It's a beautiful day here in Texas, go outside becasue the rest of the week is going to be dreary. Call someone that needs to hear a friendly voice.

LOL!! I can't seem to stop....

Old 04-01-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
All I can tell you about is my area which is Texas. There is NO in or out at the retirement homes or nursing homes. Had a friend who's husband was having seizures ( again, aged and NOT drinking water) and she was not allowed into the hospital at all. I fell another PSA coming about drinking water people...

Another friend had a family member pass away. NO funeral services, they are doing drive bys from your car.

This thing is so serious people. Please everyone stay safe and STOP hoarding. It's ok to have extra ( I do) but you do not need 12 cases of 45 rolls of anything.

One more PSA... Wash you dang hands. Remember what your mother told you.." you see with your eyes, not your hands".

It's a beautiful day here in Texas, go outside becasue the rest of the week is going to be dreary. Call someone that needs to hear a friendly voice.
LOL!! I can't seem to stop....
We're on stay at home orders here in IL so we're really discouraged from visiting anyone at this time, but particularly the elderly, so it must be different depending on number of cases and deaths.

You keep being a cheerleader, Camper. The country needs as many as we can get!

Old 04-01-2020, 04:02 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I too thought I would check in. So far, so good. We are in Pa, where it is not great but it actually seems that people are really paying attention and taking the matter and restrictions seriously. Now it is Stay at home until April 30. Hoping it really really turns a corner.
Originally schools were to be closed through 3/27 and then they extended it to another 2 weeks-----but I believe yesterday the Governor said it would be indefinite. I think that is wise because who can predict? It seems a bit promising because while the case #s are continuing to rise, at least it seems a bit more controlled and it's not doubling ever few days like it was initially.
Everyone stay healthy and nice to see posts from all of you.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I too thought I would check in. So far, so good. We are in Pa, where it is not great but it actually seems that people are really paying attention and taking the matter and restrictions seriously. Now it is Stay at home until April 30. Hoping it really really turns a corner.
Originally schools were to be closed through 3/27 and then they extended it to another 2 weeks-----but I believe yesterday the Governor said it would be indefinite. I think that is wise because who can predict? It seems a bit promising because while the case #s are continuing to rise, at least it seems a bit more controlled and it's not doubling ever few days like it was initially.
Everyone stay healthy and nice to see posts from all of you.
Good to see you here, Mayvenne, and glad you're doing well.

Our classes in IL are being done remotely now, but not everyone has the internet, so I'm not sure how they'll be getting the work. We're closed down until April 30th, as well, and while it seems people are staying indoors for the most part, we have only about 1,000 more cases than PA with double the deaths.

Not a great time to be over 60, particularly since we've now seen so many younger people die.

Stay safe and healthy.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:13 AM

Good Sunday morning to everyone!!! For us that never get rain , we got about 2 inches yesterday!!

Seems everyone is freaking out about having to stay home but for those of us like me ,it's just another day in the neighborhood..

As for being over 60 , i'm 65 and although it does worry me a bit there are the bright sides. One I hope to be 66, the 70, 80 and so on. You get the idea.

HEB ( local hugh grocery chain) offers 2 hour delivery for deliveries for those over 60. I've not done it yet becasue I don't need anything and hopefully by the time I do this will be on the down side, but the more seniors that use this the more it should open up curbside and regular deliveries for others.

I may have mentioned that I am not hoarding supplies but that I just naturally by in bulk becasue I'm still use to living so far out so I am well stocked on most paper goods as well as sprays and wipes. Then there's what I have in the motor home... I expect to see new friends at anytime!!

We are blessed that Hubbys still drawing a pay check and included a small raise becasue he is considered " essential" but he's still out there every day which makes me so nervous but I am so proud of him. There are quite a few of his fellow workers that have taken advantage of the program that allows 60 and over to just take paid leave until it's clear to return.

Did everyone get the e mail from Home Depot?!!! I am sooooo proud of them!!! They have to stay open of course but they are really compensating their employees.

Stay safe, stay home and buy local when you can. The small business will need your support. This will not last forever. Remember 9/11. We thought the world would never be the same .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff