Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2020, 10:05 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I had thought a part of the Delaware State of Emergency required people to wear masks in public settings: "Governor John Carney issued a modified State of Emergency declaration that requires Delawareans to wear face coverings in public settings, including in grocery stores, convenience stores, pharmacies, doctor’s offices, and on public transportation."

In my opinion, Rehoboth Avenue is as, if not more, crowded than the boardwalk, so I've never understood why Rehoboth didn't enforce it overall. I don't mean to blame this on the young - or necessarily the tourists - but it does seem that the resort areas visited by tourists are those where you see the largest number of people not wearing masks. I don't go out all that often, but the handful of stores I've gone to in non-tourist areas, the majority of the people are wearing masks. I did venture to an outlet center and I don't mean to stereotype, but you can almost pick out who the visitors are and it was a mixed bag. A lot carried their mask in their hand, probably because they couldn't go in the stores without one. I think the stores have tried very diligently to require masks.

There are a number of outlet stores that have still not reopened. I was at the stores only briefly, but I recall Lenox, Eddie Bauer and Alex & Ani being among them. We went on a sunny day when the lot was nearly empty and worried for the future of the stores. The very next day - last Thursday - when it was grey and overcast and we later had torrential rain in my area - the lots were packed when we rode by. I guess they all came off the beach and headed to the stores.

Another note - one outlet store told a customer they aren't allowed to accept returns yet. They are apparently giving customers an extended return period. Makes it a little tough to buy clothing since the dressing rooms are also closed!! It was a little strange in the one store I went into, as they still had winter clothing, as I guess their stock was frozen in time as of the shutdown!
I go you one better. DH picked up Crunchmaster crackers and by mistake got the cheddar instead of the original. I wanted to return it and exchange it and was told they were not accepting returns as of yet. I could understand if it were produce to something like that, but, I guess they are just being cautious.

Way back on May 12 the City of Rehoboth special meeting agenda posted a letter dated 5/1 to Gov. Carney from the Association of Coastal Towns (ACT) . It is viewable by going to the City of Rehoboth commissioners meetings and selecting the 5/12 agenda. This is an excerpt that I am pasting below and it is speaking about the then original 3 phase plan which morphed into something quite different. ( I am bolding some words.)

In Phase 3, the beach is fully open to all normal uses including swimming and sun- bathing, and Rehoboth and Bethany will then open their beaches for the first time for all normal use. Dewey anticipates little ability to hold people back when ‘beach-use light’ at Phase 1 goes into effect and anticipates their users will charge forward to the Phase 3 level of use (swimming and sunbathing) with little ability to control it.

Our beaches were opened on 5/22 in time for Memorial Day weekend. Phase 1 started June 1st. Anyone else see how we got into this mess? The words of the unnamed people from Dewey (Commissioners or perhaps Police????) were quite prophetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 11:21 AM

829 posts, read 628,671 times
Thanks for providing that. I'm afraid they all more or less abandoned all hope of being able to keep the beaches from being used "for all normal use". I think they were dreaming if they thought they could allow the hotels to open and not go to normal use, especially as I don't think they have enough resources to really be able to monitor and enforce it. One of the things I love about DE is that the people are nice and I don't mean to criticize, but I think the police was too soft in how they enforced - or attempted to enforce - the quarantine mandate. The penalty had no teeth.

I'm afraid they've pretty much lost control in the tourist areas.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
Thanks for providing that. I'm afraid they all more or less abandoned all hope of being able to keep the beaches from being used "for all normal use". I think they were dreaming if they thought they could allow the hotels to open and not go to normal use, especially as I don't think they have enough resources to really be able to monitor and enforce it. One of the things I love about DE is that the people are nice and I don't mean to criticize, but I think the police was too soft in how they enforced - or attempted to enforce - the quarantine mandate. The penalty had no teeth.

I'm afraid they've pretty much lost control in the tourist areas.
The real issue is that even with the best intentions the stated results are never deliverable if you don't have the man power and neither Dewey nor Rehoboth Beach Police Departments do, and I suspect the same is true of the neighboring beach towns too. I have the utmost respect for the police across America (and their families) who try to keep us safe, but they are not supermen and women and can't do their jobs if they are behind the 8 ball to start off with. Never mind the political climate re: police to deal with.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:22 PM

Today's numbers over/under

NCC 5031 +106
KENT 1672+ 9
SUSSEX 4637 + 29

Hospitalizations 72 - 6

OK so now I am totally puzzled. Last night the Cape Gazette said there were an additional 112 cases in the Rehoboth area. So why are they not reflected in the Sussex total? Certainly all can't be from NCC.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:31 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,344 times
Oh my...
https://www.capegazette.com/article/...SbpKsJC5hhK7wQ

Wow...we almost ate at Hammerheads on Thursday before deciding to go to Cottage. I also heard a Dewey restaurant has many positive employees--heard it through my sources as I did about Hammerheads having positive employees before this article surfaced. You should read about the Dewey restaurant soon enough.

We headed to Lewes for an oil change and then Byler's in Dover today. Byler's was nice! Not crowded at all and the prices are so much better than what I contend with in my area. I'm rethinking going out to dinner this week now after reading about Hammerheads even though we only dine outside--seems nearby beach areas are spiking. I saw quite an impressive line for covid testing at the Starboard today as well.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:01 PM

The governor will hold a presser at about 1:45 tomorrow. This will be very interesting.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:33 AM

Today's numbers over/under

NCC 5065 +31
KENT 1690+ 18
SUSSEX 4681+ 44

Hospitalizations 64 - 8

I am still not seeing the spike of 112 in the reporting for Rehoboth (Sussex). The numbers are not adding up to 112 even over the last 3 days. Three Rehoboth Beach Life Guards have tested positive and additional testing is a probability following July 4.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:00 PM

From the news conference. Beach Bars to be shuttered

https://www.capegazette.com/node/204468?source=email-bn

Old 06-30-2020, 03:03 PM

829 posts, read 628,671 times
All of Delaware will remain in Phase 2, with Phase 3 delayed indefinitely.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:42 PM

Hot off the presses. Face Masks required in Rehoboth including on the beach.

https://www.capegazette.com/node/204506?source=email-bn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware