Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 05:02 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times

Advertisements

The topic of this post is why can't a person just get teeth cleaned without xrays and yes they can. Just interview a dentist who will and it's a done deal. That's what I've done via the telephone, remember this instrument, with my last dental cleanings. Cost me something like $65 and no questions asked.

As usual, this thread has gone all over the place and I'm not being confused with SQ's facts. Everyone has their own facts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 05:15 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Everyone has their own facts...
No, that's not the way medicine or dentistry (or science in general) works.

You do not get to pass off opinion or anecdotes as facts.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:49 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,783,022 times
Quote:

Hysterical!

Old 07-04-2018, 06:15 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,980,594 times
Quote:

Facts are facts--not opinions.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:17 AM

629 posts, read 934,577 times
Quote:

Mic drop.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:23 AM

So everyone responding are the fact gurus. The fact experts???? I didn't realize I was among such greats and humor too. ummmm

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-05-2018 at 10:35 AM..

Old 07-06-2018, 08:54 AM

629 posts, read 934,577 times
Quote:
So everyone responding are the fact gurus. The fact experts???? I didn't realize I was among such greats and humor too. ummmm
Reminds me of when Oprah said "Your Truth". There is THE truth, and your opinion.

The OP asked why x-rays are needed before a dentist will see them for a cleaning, and also why yearly x-rays are needed. Many here, including myself, have explained why x-rays are needed before cleanings and also how often x-rays should be done. We have supported our statements with scientific evidence or by directing readers to official recommendations by governing organizations. The ones chastising x-rays have provided only anecdotal stories about their own experiences, usually coupled with some snide remark about how x-rays make dentists super rich.

The fundamental problem here is that people who are against dental x-rays are basing their decision on emotion and not logic. When emotion goes up against logic, emotion will win every time.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Reminds me of when Oprah said "Your Truth". There is THE truth, and your opinion.

The OP asked why x-rays are needed before a dentist will see them for a cleaning, and also why yearly x-rays are needed. Many here, including myself, have explained why x-rays are needed before cleanings and also how often x-rays should be done. We have supported our statements with scientific evidence or by directing readers to official recommendations by governing organizations. The ones chastising x-rays have provided only anecdotal stories about their own experiences, usually coupled with some snide remark about how x-rays make dentists super rich.

The fundamental problem here is that people who are against dental x-rays are basing their decision on emotion and not logic. When emotion goes up against logic, emotion will win every time.

And some here are basing their opinions as they are in the dental and medical industries.

As I've said, I've had my share of xrays in my mouth...no more if I have anything to do with it all.

Did I need all those years of xrays, probably not.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:53 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,980,594 times
Quote:
And some here are basing their opinions as they are in the dental and medical industries.

You are referring to people who are EDUCATED in medicine and dentistry, and in science. If you are not educated in the sciences, you end up floundering about, making muddled guesses to explain the world around you.

Facts can be proven true or false, which is what science is all about, and that's what the professions of medicine and dentistry are based upon--facts.

You can learn about the scientific method here, if you'd like to check it out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

Old 07-06-2018, 11:03 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Facts are facts--not opinions.
Have you ever heard of subjectivism, social construction, quantum physics?

Your perspective is objectivist. That is not the ONLY way to view "reality."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health