Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 11:44 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
When I refused they got angry, said they couldn't work with me anymore. .
I had a couple of patients like that.

Angry isn't the correct word here, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 11:58 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I had a couple of patients like that.

Angry isn't the correct word here, though.
I have asked before, do we have more than 2 dentists on this forum?

Old 07-11-2018, 06:38 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Maybe in 1960...
https://www.studentloanplanner.com/c...dental-school/
They had that service in my grandson's preschool but there were not dentists in those RV's, they were staffed with Registered Dental Assistants

I guess you don't understand that dental schools offer those services because students are required to perform those services on real people before they graduate? You can get a free haircut at a barber college too for the same reason...students need to spend a certain number of hours cutting hair before they can get their state license
False: the article is not done on the avg means of dental schools He even choose the privatized dental school. The in state avg as of 2018 is 112k. (22k per semester plus supply)
If you wish to add on specialized fields in dentistry I'm sure that would incurr more cost. Or add four years of living expense then I'm sure it can snowball.

RV DENTAL: WE AGREE the child can get a cleaning without exrays.

I sadly disagree on the final level. Most interns will be paid ..those assets can go towards school fees or income. My husband interned in clinical ...I think I know a bit of the schooling for masters and doctorate. He served 200 hours on a ward. He was paid. He was limited in some tasks . But by no means was it purely volunteering to get his degree. He did do hours of observation and data collection on his own time ..it was for his thesis. So your assumption that these dental students are doing it for free (wrong).
They are doing it for the required clinical hours. Which the syllabus explains. Yes they receive compensation.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:01 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,782,527 times
So much misinformation here....

Old 07-11-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
So much misinformation here....
I'm willing to bet the dentists here alternative/holistic dentists differ in their practices. Am I correct?

Old 07-11-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm willing to bet the dentists here alternative/holistic dentists differ in their practices. Am I correct?

I was referring to the loan/employment thing above my post.

But to answer your question, the fallacy of "alternative" medicine is that it has not been proven beneficial in peer-reviewed scientific journals. Do you know what you call alternative medicine that has been proven to work? Medicine. "Alternative" medicine proponents prey on those who feel there is a conspiracy in mainstream medicine and makes them feel justified in wearing their tin-foil hats.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
I was referring to the loan/employment thing above my post.

But to answer your question, the fallacy of "alternative" medicine is that it has not been proven beneficial in peer-reviewed scientific journals. Do you know what you call alternative medicine that has been proven to work? Medicine. "Alternative" medicine proponents prey on those who feel there is a conspiracy in mainstream medicine and makes them feel justified in wearing their tin-foil hats.
There are a large number of alt/holistic dentists in CA. I know they don't love fluoride and not big on root canals.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
There are a large number of alt/holistic dentists in CA. I know they don't love fluoride and not big on root canals.

Yes there is big money in this. Cash pay for removing mercury fillings and extracting teeth with root canals to treat multiple sclerosis.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:12 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Most of the problem with threads like this is that they lump ALL dentists or ALL doctors into one bag.

I've had a few bad dentists too. I had one who claimed that I needed too have my root canals removed and replaced with new ones. I almost believed him until I overheard him talking on the phone, telling someone that "fortunately most of my patients have needed a lot of root canals." Yes, he was a new dentist just starting out, probably needed to pay off his bills.

Another bad dentist many years later when I moved from one town to another. She did a horrible job replacing a crown. It was way out of alignment and wasn't "hitting" right (as I call it.)

BUT I have had excellent dentists too. Right after that horrible woman, who, btw, refused to do anything about the mess she had made, I asked around and found a real gem of a dentist. She was wonderful. She did her best to make my mouth feel better after what the previous idiot had done. She also was honest and didn't try to get me to have work done that I didn't need. AND, she even allowed me to get my teeth cleaned without an xray. I said I would go for xrays once a year but not every six months. She said OK.

Now that I've had to move away and leave her I have made sure to ask around again. Two dentists came highly recommended as doing excellent work and being honest. All I asked was, "Is there a dentist you would recommend." And the answers usually pertain to doing excellent work and not trying to trick you into getting work that you don't need. I'll see if the new one requires xrays every single time I get a cleaning. I hope not as I cannot afford that and I don't think it's necessary in my case.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:19 PM

I.N.E. We can always decline xrays. If I didn't have control over my decisions I'd seek out more flexible dentist. One thing about it here, there are dentists and doctors everywhere....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health