Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 01:22 PM

629 posts, read 933,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Nevermind that dentists make much more money when patients go this route....
Saw a patient 4 years ago who had a cavity. Told him he needs it filled before it gets worse, especially since he shows it when he smiles. He didn't want to do anything because "It's not bothering me". Ok, fine.
Sign here saying you decline the recommended treatment. Would have cost around $200 and probably taken about 30 minutes. Disappears after that, never returns calls for check-up visits, etc. Shows up yesterday in excruciating pain on the same tooth. Tooth is rotted down to the gumline at this point. Now he needs an extraction and implant to the tune of $4,000. He is complaining as he hands over his credit card. He would have saved around $3,800 if had he listened to me. Yet, I'm still the bad guy apparently.

I'm not unique here. Every dentist sees stuff like this everyday. You can't fix stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 01:23 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I'm not being snarky here-- pain is the physical manifestation that something isn't "right". Your ability to "quiet" pain doesn't negate there being an issue.
Oil of Oregano and Myrrh are pretty miraculous.

https://www.up-nature.com/blogs/news...-you-must-know

So many here are more concerned about my teeth than I am, interesting.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-06-2018 at 01:33 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Saw a patient 4 years ago who had a cavity. Told him he needs it filled before it gets worse, especially since he shows it when he smiles. He didn't want to do anything because "It's not bothering me". Ok, fine.
Sign here saying you decline the recommended treatment. Would have cost around $200 and probably taken about 30 minutes. Disappears after that, never returns calls for check-up visits, etc. Shows up yesterday in excruciating pain on the same tooth. Tooth is rotted down to the gumline at this point. Now he needs an extraction and implant to the tune of $4,000. He is complaining as he hands over his credit card. He would have saved around $3,800 if had he listened to me. Yet, I'm still the bad guy apparently.

I'm not unique here. Every dentist sees stuff like this everyday. You can't fix stupid.
Well, you sure made a lot more money. People do as they please.

I have people in my life that MAYBE if they heard me on the supplement world they might be alive today.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:48 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oil of Oregano and Myrrh are pretty miraculous.

https://www.up-nature.com/blogs/news...-you-must-know

So many here are more concerned about my teeth than I am, interesting.
I'm not necessarily concerned about your teeth, per se.

I'm fascinated that people (not just you) would forgo routine dental care when we all know "bad" teeth can literally kill you.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I'm not necessarily concerned about your teeth, per se.

I'm fascinated that people (not just you) would forgo routine dental care when we all know "bad" teeth can literally kill you.
Do you miss the fact that I went to dentists for 50 yrs+ of my life and now at 80, I'm doing good with what I do. I'm sure there are many more in the world who take care of their own teeth all their lives, don't have the "luxury" of modern dentistry. And have good teeth in spite of no dentists.

I'm betting you are not my age and perhaps just beginning your path on dentistry. And if I could go back in time, and do things over, I may have a better mouth of teeth. REDUCE the sugar cwap and carbs I consumed for decades, lots of acid forming foods.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:19 PM

4 posts, read 2,741 times
Quote:
A dentist in No. Cal back in mid 80's told me I had pockets, and thinking back in my memory I may have heard 4, 5 maybe 6...it's been a long time.

As I have said before I never did a thing about these pockets...

Moved back to So Cal in 1991 and went to dentists down here every year into about 2010 or and a pocket was NEVER mentioned. And since about 2010 or so I have not gone to dentist due to all I'm doing for myself now.

Here is a good link mostly directed to smokers and I've never smoked but so many still do. Which is hard to believe, but true.

Supplement Containing Vitamins C, E and Grape Seed Extract Improves Smokers' Response to Gum Disease Treatment - University at Buffalo

One can search gum health and grape seed extract. My gums are tight and very healthy. I know where I've been and where I am now.

It must be a connection to antioxidants and gum health. CoQ10 has also been shown to be helpful: https://www.jemds.com/data_pdf/Rajiv%20Saini--jy%2027.pdf

Old 07-10-2018, 02:25 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Interesting could have a lot to do with your location etc..and the dentist mindset and maybe his dollar signs..
I agree. I've talked with so many people whose dentist tried to claim they needed unnecessary dental work! I talked to someone just recently, who said her dentist wanted her to get all her fillings replaced. She'd had them replaced a couple of years ago with a different dentist, something the new dentist wasn't aware of when she made this recommendation.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I agree. I've talked with so many people whose dentist tried to claim they needed unnecessary dental work! I talked to someone just recently, who said her dentist wanted her to get all her fillings replaced. She'd had them replaced a couple of years ago with a different dentist, something the new dentist wasn't aware of when she made this recommendation.
Well, over 10 yrs ago if I had listened to my dentist and his partner, I would have gone thru a huge job and spent thousands. I followed my gut and worked with what I knew and know and I'm doing good....

Old 07-10-2018, 03:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
If I had listened to my dentist years ago, I would have had my wisdom teeth pulled as they insisted I should do. When I refused they got angry, said they couldn't work with me anymore. They had already done lots of crowns on my other teeth and they just kept looking for things to "fix" or work on. They'd always verify my insurance coverage before recommending some new treatment regime, some total overhaul that they'd claim I desperately need. That was 10 years ago. And I still have my wisdom teeth.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If I had listened to my dentist years ago, I would have had my wisdom teeth pulled as they insisted I should do. When I refused they got angry, said they couldn't work with me anymore. They had already done lots of crowns on my other teeth and they just kept looking for things to "fix" or work on. They'd always verify my insurance coverage before recommending some new treatment regime, some total overhaul that they'd claim I desperately need. That was 10 years ago. And I still have my wisdom teeth.
Yeah, the wisdom teeth business is a big one. I never got any, don't know where they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health