Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 09:45 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,783,022 times

Advertisements

I think you guys are confusing dental assistants with dental hygienists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 10:06 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
I think you guys are confusing dental assistants with dental hygienists.

Yup, that's just what they're doing.

https://study.com/articles/Dental_As...ifference.html

Old 07-15-2018, 02:57 AM

252 posts, read 359,202 times
Here's a list of States that allow direct access to hygienists. No surprise to me, Colorado is most progressive. Direct Access | ADHA - American Dental Hygienists Association
On another note.. Greed (or desperation to pay off student loans ) is a big problem in the Veterinary business too. It's a proven truthful fact that vaccines last at least 7 years, probably lifetime, and over vaccinating can be harmful yet many vets still insist on yearly injection$.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:06 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You still are "sheepeople" you just don't realize it. You must spend a fortune on all of your supplements 90% of which have never found to have any purpose other than to make the people selling them rich. I've been around for a long time too, and a few of the things I've learned are:

Dentists know more about teeth and gums than I ever will and if I choose to ignore their advice I may well end up in a lot of pain, or even worse I might lose my teeth. I don't second guess my doctor when she says I have high blood pressure and I don't doubt my dentist when he says I need some work done.

Dentists provide a service that is not cheap to render. When people complain about being 'ripped off' by dentists they fail to realize that dentists graduate with an average of almost 300k in student loans. Graduate student loans carry around 7% interest, the average repayment term is 10 years, that ends up costing a new dentist well over $3,000 a month. Buying or leasing equipment must cost a fortune, and paying salaries for dental assistants and front end staff isn't cheap.

There have been times where I expected a procedure to take 30 minutes and it ended up taking two or more hours because the problem was more complex than anticipated, I didn't have to pay more because it took longer, but the dentist sure took a hit because he probably could have seen two other patients during that time.

To be honest I think we should be glad that we still have people willing to go to dental school, it's certainly not a get rich scheme, and with all the DSO's trying to take over dentistry I can only imagine that Dentists will earn less in the future than they do now.

The only time I felt "ripped off"in a dental office were the two times I went to a DSO. And the dentists were fine, but they were very non-committal about the work I needed done and turned me over to the office manager who was as bad as any used car salesman that I've ever dealt with, they have made an art out of turning $4000 of dental work into $15,000..it's crazy.
So, because dental school is a ripoff, consumers are expected to pay for it. Gotcha.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
So, because dental school is a ripoff, consumers are expected to pay for it. Gotcha.
No, you don't have to pay for anything. For all I care you can go to Amish Country and find an old man with a pair of pliers who "fixes" the teeth of people in the community.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

Expensive? Yes.

Ripoff? I'm not sure where you got that from.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,084 times
I am in NC and have never had any luck finding a dentist who doesn't want to irradiate me so I can have tartar removed.I think it has been over 20 years since I had a cavity, so all those x-rays have yielded no gain for me. Gain for the dentist? Definitely. X-ray equipment is expensive and the dentist doesn't want to have that bill to pay for years to come.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimeradio1 View Post
I am in NC and have never had any luck finding a dentist who doesn't want to irradiate me so I can have tartar removed.I think it has been over 20 years since I had a cavity, so all those x-rays have yielded no gain for me. Gain for the dentist? Definitely. X-ray equipment is expensive and the dentist doesn't want to have that bill to pay for years to come.

I agree. I don't want my dentist to be able to pay his bills and afford modern state of the art equipment. Like you, I prefer my dentist to practice in the dark ages. My dentist washes his gloves to re-use them which means he is not wasting my money on buying new gloves.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:47 AM

252 posts, read 359,202 times
People refuse blood transfusions (mostly Jehovah Witness, but others too).. Does the surgeon refuse to do their surgery? No. They have patient sign a wavier.
Would a car mechanic refuse to change your oil if you don't agree to replace your bald tires? No.
Dentists should jump down from their ego, offer patients services and accept patient's choice. I bet they'd come out ahead financially with repeat customers.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaduced View Post
People refuse blood transfusions (mostly Jehovah Witness, but others too).. Does the surgeon refuse to do their surgery? No. They have patient sign a wavier.
Would a car mechanic refuse to change your oil if you don't agree to replace your bald tires? No.
Dentists should jump down from their ego, offer patients services and accept patient's choice. I bet they'd come out ahead financially with repeat customers.

Depends on the surgery and the risk of needing blood. Some surgeons do decline to offer surgery if the risk is too high.

This is about standard of care. Practicing below the standard of care increases liability. Patients are not allowed to consent to negligent treatment. But keep looking and I'm sure you can find a dentist that will let you boss him around.

http://thedentalwarrior.com/2011/06/...e-take-x-rays/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health