Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 12:42 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,203,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Appears that apostrophes were on sale, but they were out of stock on spell checkers

Personally, I like Trader Joes. Some unusual items and good prices.

I used to go to Sprouts more often, but now that Bulk is shut down, I go less often. For some reason, the Sprouts on Wadsworth in lakewood has the worst bananas I've ever seen. If they aren't out of stock, they are way too green. I once made the mistake of buying very green ones and they never ripened.

King Soopers is OK, though I liked it better before they did the expansion at the one in Lakewood Commons. Now they don't have enough cashiers, and lots of self-checkout. When an employee reminds me about self checkout, I respond, "I don't work here."
Barry K123 ---- The best thing Trader Joe's has going - in my opinion - is their produce. This doesn't mean I don't enjoy all the high carb foods tempting me when walking down the aisles. This is because I have reached an age where I can no longer tolerate high carb and junk foods due to health reasons and weight gain. I would drive to a Trader Joe's just for the produce, though. Surprisingly, they often have good organic produce, many times at excellent prices.

And yes, you are so right...they do have unusual items that are delish. I've probably sampled all of them at some point over the past 2-3 years. Unfortunately for me, they are usually high carb. Love high carb/junk food, but can't really eat it, so sadly yet gladly, I've had to stop buying those foods there. Since I'm older, 2020 is my year to manage my weight and my food. When you know better, you do better.

ABOUT PRODUCE: One thing I have noticed is some of the produce at King Soopers seems to be at the end of their expiration ... even thought the expiration date isn't at all outdated on boxed salads. I suspect this due to how fast it deteriorates once I get it home. Some produce starts molding immediately: avocados especially. I buy boxed salads and greens at King Soopers, take them home, and within several days, there is green slime on the salad...even when placed in the refrigerator immediately upon arriving home. Since there is a small Whole Foods just down the street, I buy my produce there. Their produce does cost more - often it's on sale, too. I pay less overall at Whole Foods because their produce lasts longer in the 'fridge. Their salads/greens last sometimes for a week or two, and are still crispy fresh.

Guessing King Soopers must buy a different, lower grade of "older produce?" at a drastically reduced cost which is not passed on to us. Then the produce is packaged with an expiration date of their choosing that does not reflect the actual age of the produce. Not accusing King Soopers of "fraud" exactly, I'm sure this is a legitimate way for grocery stores to organize and buy produce. IMO, the actual cost to the consumer of King's boxed salads/greens is double the marked price. So Whole Foods can be a good deal. Sprouts and Natural Grocers, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 01:39 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
One thing I've noticed about boxed or bagged salads is that if there is cut Romaine in the salad that it quickly turns brown where it was cut, thus I only buy whole heads of Romaine, not the cut variety. I studiously check the pull dates on all bagged salad material.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:13 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Data are your friends

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...ket-share.html

Grocery store market share

King Soopers 33.8%
Walmart 16.4%
Safeway 12.2%
Super target 10.1%
Costco 9.8%
Sam’s Club 5.4%
Whole Foods 3.7%
Sprouts 3.0%
Trader Joe’s 1.3%
Walmat Neighborhood 1.3%
Vitamin Cottage 0.8%
Dollar Tree 0.6%

Old 10-22-2020, 01:07 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,201,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Interesting, but some of these are not — pardon the phrase — apple to apple comparisons.

Over half aren't primarily (or in some cases, even substantially) "grocery stores."

Might as well include the convenience stores as a contender.

The numbers for the big four or five are interesting and about what I'd expect.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:54 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...ket-share.html

King Soopers 33.8%
Walmart 16.4%
Safeway 12.2%
Super target 10.1%
Costco 9.8%
Sam’s Club 5.4%
Whole Foods 3.7%
Sprouts 3.0%
Trader Joe’s 1.3%
Walmat Neighborhood 1.3%
Vitamin Cottage 0.8%
Dollar Tree 0.6%
The Walmart Neighborhood surprises me, those are pretty high traffic and far more locations than Trader Joe's. Also would be interested to see how the numbers are affected now, Trader Joe's only one that ever has a line to get in these days and its quite long. I went a couple times to buy a few things and then left after seeing the long line.

Old 11-01-2020, 04:00 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,203,529 times
vwgto - have you ever tried the extra large KS at intersection of Wadsworth and Alameda. They are located in the SW quadrant. Drive west on Alameda and take the first left past Wadsworth. I like to go there just to look around to see what they have in stock...and then I can't resist when I find items that are hard to find elsewhere.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:49 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
vwgto - have you ever tried the extra large KS at intersection of Wadsworth and Alameda. They are located in the SW quadrant. Drive west on Alameda and take the first left past Wadsworth. I like to go there just to look around to see what they have in stock...and then I can't resist when I find items that are hard to find elsewhere.
It does seem like many of the KSs do not have the square footage necessary today, but pricing is an issue as well. Walmart has been confirming that in their recent comparison ads.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:07 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
It does seem like many of the KSs do not have the square footage necessary today, but pricing is an issue as well. Walmart has been confirming that in their recent comparison ads.
As in most areas, the Supermarket chains often have better pricing on sale items and have better availability on meats, but you spend more on almost everything else than WM.

Old 11-07-2020, 07:12 AM

824 posts, read 705,784 times
I goto Restrurant Depot for meats, salad, bread things. Than the 14th Av & Speer kingSoopers, than Saveway at Broadway & Alameda and finally Sprouts Logan and Mississippi. Its a loop.

seems there is a thrid covid wave and shelves seem empty these days.

Old 11-12-2020, 06:17 PM

664 posts, read 2,066,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
I goto Restrurant Depot for meats, salad, bread things. Than the 14th Av & Speer kingSoopers, than Saveway at Broadway & Alameda and finally Sprouts Logan and Mississippi. Its a loop.

seems there is a thrid covid wave and shelves seem empty these days.
Is there anyway to shop at Restaurant Depot without going through the verification to be an authorized shopper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver