Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:30 AM

6 posts, read 11,498 times

Advertisements

To be honest...I wouldn't come here if a sense of comfort and belonging is important to you...wish I didn't have to say so but Denver (especially South Subarbs) are very vanilla. Denver itself I have found has a real lack of diversity compared to other cities...perhaps due to its geographical isolation. Not that anyone is racist or rude...but I've had friends leave to go to more diverse cities.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:04 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
I've definitely lived in more diverse places, but I hardly consider Denver to be vanilla. Just in my own apartment complex, there are people from all over the place. I work with people of varying ethnicities.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:07 AM

357 posts, read 1,286,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchedgirl View Post
To be honest...I wouldn't come here if a sense of comfort and belonging is important to you...wish I didn't have to say so but Denver (especially South Subarbs) are very vanilla. Denver itself I have found has a real lack of diversity compared to other cities...perhaps due to its geographical isolation. Not that anyone is racist or rude...but I've had friends leave to go to more diverse cities.
I would agree with this. colorado and esp the south suburbs are definitely vanilla. there is a different attitude here a very different feeling. even among blacks who have grown up here in colorado, there seems to be very little solidarity. I think to survive they've adapted differently that blacks in other communities.

yes, there are different ethnicities here (a number of south asians for example), but i have to say that if you look at the stats for the state, and the south suburbs, it's still very white. whites see the few brown faces and see diversity, brown faces see the many white faces and see the vast sea of whiteness.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:09 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
What kind of question is this? YES there is racism everywhere. But you don't necessarily have to participate in it.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchedgirl View Post
Denver is 50% minority. That is a higher minority % than several other large cities, including Seattle, known for its 'diversity', Minneapolis, and Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is largely white (~66%) and black, with very little other diversity.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:21 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverNewbie76 View Post
Ok here goes...my heart is dead set on relocating to Denver. Currently I reside in Atlanta(a transplant from NJ)been down here for 2yrs and I am ready to GO!!!!!! I have had enough! Anyway I have been reading the threads on here and have come across a few from black(african americans)complaining about the "the black experience" in Denver. It kind of leaves me puzzled because I am raising three african american boys 11 and 16yrs old and I do not want them to feel "out of place". Also I have a 19yr african american son who is in college and when he comes home for school breaks I want him to be able to fit in. Race has never played any major part in our lives. We DO NOT see color. My husband and I are both white and have friends from many different racial backgrounds. My question is in your opinion will the boys feel out of place in Denver? Also what is your opinion on Denver as a whole? On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the quality of life there. Is Denver more of urban city or have more like a small town feel?

I live in Denver
Your sons will fit right in.
Denver is beautiful and lots of nice people here.
Its mainly how you raise your boys.
It seems you raised them right and I'm sure you will have no trouble with them here.
I give it a 9 only because they are a few bad apples here.
Parents like you deserve an applause..

Old 06-06-2010, 03:31 PM

14 posts, read 45,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Dear OP,

I don't think your kids would feel out of place, except for... Denver is not the South, not Atlanta. I'm thinking culture shock might more describe it. The ethnic counts here are very different than Atlanta, although all of Atlanta has many more people, so more room for ethnicity.

I do think there isn't nearly the focus on race as in the South, so you'll probably like that a lot.

I'm a Colo. native, and I'm black, and as a lot of people on this board know, my biggest complaint here is that I want Denver to be bigger. It's too small for me. I've lived here forever and have been everywhere! But for you... you'll have lots of time to explore.

Good luck!
This pretty much sums up how I'd answer the question, so I'm quoting it. For reference: I grew up in the Washington, DC area and my husband is from Brooklyn, NY and we've lived in Denver for nearly 7 years.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 PM

9 posts, read 16,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessibado View Post
This pretty much sums up how I'd answer the question, so I'm quoting it. For reference: I grew up in the Washington, DC area and my husband is from Brooklyn, NY and we've lived in Denver for nearly 7 years.
My family and I are from Detroit, we are black, and will be moving to South Denver in August. I love Denver and have never felt race to be a issue.

My wife is concerned that our children will experience culture shock, since the school that they will attend does not appear to be ethnically diverse (nearly 80% Caucasian). I am sure that, either through church, or other community organizations, we will be able to connect with many different ethnic groups and diverse families. I am looking forward to moving to Colorado. I can't wait!!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:34 PM

49 posts, read 142,781 times
I lived in Denver all my life until the last few years and I never
felt there was a racism issue in Denver. Denver was well known
to be the "capital" of mixed marriages. I just always saw it as
a normal thing. I'm sure your boys will fit in and not feel out of
place. Just stay away from the gangbangers, thats about the only
bad thing I can say about Denver. I do miss my hometown and
all its weather in one day.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:16 PM

84 posts, read 337,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirex10 View Post
My family and I are from Detroit, we are black, and will be moving to South Denver in August. I love Denver and have never felt race to be a issue.

My wife is concerned that our children will experience culture shock, since the school that they will attend does not appear to be ethnically diverse (nearly 80% Caucasian). I am sure that, either through church, or other community organizations, we will be able to connect with many different ethnic groups and diverse families. I am looking forward to moving to Colorado. I can't wait!!
Sorry to open an old thread...but what neighborhood are you considering? South Denver is generally pretty white, or very Hispanic if you're in the southwest or even southeast. The black community is very well-established in East and Northeast Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver