Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:37 PM

324 posts, read 883,957 times

Advertisements

Drink water! Especially if you are working out it is important to rehydrate to allow your body to function properly. It can be really hard to get in enough water, so you really have to make an effort. Flavored waters like Aquafina Alive are great for this, because they have taste good, which makes it easier to drink. I've found that if I keep one on my desk I drink it faster and more of it that just regular water. Plus, they have antioxidants and vitamins as an added bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 02:58 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
The Mods should really make this thread a sticky in the Exercise and Fitness forum. Very good advice is being shared here.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:06 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
Read labels. Avoid anything with hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrups. Read your labels and you'll be surprised at how just about every product in this country (including ketchup) has HFCS. The organic ketchups, found at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are free of HFCS.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:10 PM

738 posts, read 1,884,822 times
Be selective what you eat. No chips, no massive amounts of cheese, fast foods, bags of cookies, cakes, frozen foods,....Eat in moderation. Small amounts. We in America EAT Large portions. Look at our Butts and Guts!!!!!!! Wow!!!!

Drink water-limit the soda.

Get off the couch-MOVE

Exercise-walk---walk---walk----

Put things away, where they belong.(Makes you move more).

Old 03-25-2008, 07:51 AM

253 posts, read 1,056,032 times
Lightbulb What I try to do and live by...

You can definitely learn something valuable from lo-carb "dieting" without sticking to that kind of strict and limiting eating plan:

Use protein as a staple during meals.

The goal should be to just eat as you want but to learn moderation. Eat every 2-3 hours in a day because eating often trains your metabolism to work more efficiently and faster rather than training it to reserve and hold. Most people skip meals and wait too long to have their next meal. If you work and can't get to something, prepare in advance and put your food in plastic ware.

I've found that if I have, in a main meal, a sizable salad and a good portion of protein (preferably baked, broiled and the like) from some source (like chicken, fish, beef, turkey, pork, nuts, soy, eggs be you vegetarian or omnivore), although I prefer everything except for beef and pork with a main meal, I will not experience many cravings, if at all.

What also helps is to snack on citrus fruits or raw pineapple between and during meals. They make me feel energetic and refreshed and help with digestion. So for example, with that main meal which includes a salad and side of protein, I'll also have a Clementine or half of a lemon with either sea salt or honey or both.

So again the "trick" with each main meal (which will be something with grains) is to have:
  • a small serving of salad (of your choice) with mixed lettuce
  • a citrus based fruit (or any fruit) with sea salt or moderate amount of honey / make sure to really take in the juice and pulp
  • a good portion of protein of your choice (should be sizable)
  • a glass of tea, yerba mate, fresh fruit juice (made from scratch), water (lots of water throughout the day)

This creates a MAIN MEAL altogether. I find that when I eat like this, my eating habits naturally regulate, I experience less cravings, feel more satisfied and feel balanced. This is good for an active lifestyle too because you are really getting a lot of nutrients and lots of balance.

A small meal should just include a salad, a piece of fruit and a serving of protein.

I also take vitamin B complex and a multivitamin tablet daily.

I don't limit myself. I indulge but I try to allow myself to really experience what I am eating rather than gulping it down in ecstasy which is pretty easy to do if you are a big foodie like me...and adore pastries.

Food can certainly be addictive and have opium-like qualities...so it's good to try to let yourself NOT feel guilty for indulging because it creates a negative and dysfunctional relationship with food in the long run.

Have a slice of cake or a few medium-sized cookies and really take time to enjoy and be conscious of what you are eating which means don't indulge while doing something that will take away your attention. We tend to eat very fast when we are occupied during a meal.

After that leave it alone. Don't get anymore. Wait for awhile to let the message set in. Then drink a full glass of water...and wait again to see how you feel. That should take away a craving that lingers after having dessert.

If you still have a craving for something sweet, get a citrus fruit or have a small light bowl of salad with a light Asian dressing or vinaigrette.

I think another thing to do is explore the world of fruits and vegetables. Most people are so conservative and plain when it comes to the realm of vegetation. Learn about a lot of exotic fruits and vegetables. Visit health food stores and farmers markets. Try things you never have before. Look up the nutritional information about various vegetables and fruits, read about their history and cultural references and experiment with eating them in many different ways at home. You'll eventually develop an appreciation that turns into a very healthy and stimulating way of eating.

And of course easier said than done but don't focus on weight loss. Focus on just feeling and living better and developing a brand new and exciting relationship with food and everything will take care of itself. I find that focusing on weight loss puts my mind into a "quick fix", "urgently competitive" or "temporary" context. That's one of the reasons why most people find it hard to keep weight off when it is lost.

Last edited by AsymptoticFaery; 03-25-2008 at 08:02 AM..

Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times
Stop thinking you have to become a gym freak in order to lose weight. Just think 'activity' - which means ANYTHING apart from sitting down!

Calories Burned Estimator

Use this calculator honestly and record what you do in a day - it adds up the calories for you.

Then substitute some of the sitting for a slow walk, for washing the car, gardening, rearraging your closet or bookshelves, or even a gentle swim or slow pedal on a stationary bike. It's amazing how many extra calories you can burn without getting hot and sweaty!

To lose one U.S. pound (.454 kg), you must burn 3,500 more calories than you take in as food.
So......Burn an extra 500 calories per day, that's a weight loss of 1lb per week.
Plus....Eat 500 less calories per day as well - that's 2lb per week

Last edited by southdown; 03-25-2008 at 09:26 AM..

Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,622,635 times
change from white to brown (this is big)
add lemons to your daily water intake...

Health Benefits of Lemons

Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,651,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Eat less, move more.
Nice analogy.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:33 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,651,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
But you also need a bedtime snack. Not ice cream or whatever. Something healthy. Otherwise you could go 12hours without food. 7pm-7am.
Oh, heaven forbid! When you go to sleep all the workings of your insides slow down because you are in such a complete state of rest. For example, the rate your kidneys work at slows down and then when you wake up again suddenly it all goes into overdrive to cater for lost time which is the reason most of us have to use the restroom so much in the mornings. Going for 12 hours without food isn't unhealthy at all. If you ate a dinner of one lettuce leaf and a glass of water and then tried to go for 12 hours without anything else then no, that wouldn't do you a whole lot of good. If you have a good, hearty meal before hand though then it won't be a problem.

I don't like to eat just before I go to bed (I usually give it at least two hours) and at the weekends I can sleep for 14 hours in one go. That's 16 hours without sustenance. My insides are all still working okay though....... I think.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:06 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
That means I would be drinking 138 ounces of water each day. Over 17 glasses. I'd be a little worried about hyponatremia ... or maybe even drowning! Perhaps the ratio for me might be a little different that 1/2 my body weight?
Hey Charley,
For water, most people need ~44-66 mL/kg body wt. That includes water already in our food. To generalize, about 2.7 liters for women and 3.7 liters for men. This adjusts for disease, environment, and activity levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss